• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New dragon

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I've never fooled with either the silks or goliath worms myself...silks mainly because most of the reading I've done on themand the folks I have talked to say they are more work to raise than worth...lol..These days I am more into less work/high payoff especially when it comes to feeders...seems that the dubias are the best route to go and they are plentiful, apparently easy to establish and available from a large selection of sources...thats the route I am fixing to take very shortly too:D

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I order some from mulberry farms I've order them there before. Jessie loves. Hope rascal likes them too
Not going try to raise them. I only get them everyonce in awile

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
im a little worried my little dragon hasnt ate anything in the last few days not really as alert as he was havent seen any poop since the night before thought he may be a little dehydrated so soak him for 5-10 min he was drinking water out of his soak
put a little of veg oil on his mouth hoping he would lick it off to help if he is impacted but mostly he is just laying around sleeping he won't even bask under his light any suggestion

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try longer than 5-10 minutes. Try 5 to 20 minutes with warm water, replacing cool water with warm, massage his belly and if he's dehydrated, pedialyte (Fruit flavored's a good idea because they won't drink plain unflavored.)

Take him to the vet and see what they say. He may need a laxative from them if nothing worked that you've tried. Then when you get his 'poop', have them run a fecal to test if he's sick. :(

Did he lick it off or try to? Have you got a dropper or syringe?

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
No I don't think his did no I don't have a eye dropper I will give another soak in the morning

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. Do you have canned prunes or baby food prunes available?

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
No I don't myself don't like so don't buy them. If it help will buy today

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Well gave him a 30 MIN soak and he didn't poop but he is trying when I put him back in his encloser. Maybe he will go while I am gone have to work both jobs today if he hasn't will hurt to soak him again in the morning?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll keep my fingers crossed. Maybe he'll do it today while you're gone. Sometimes, I've noticed that Allie doesn't like to do it in public view. She'll go in her tank instead of outside. But when I'm outside with her and she does go, can't help it. I've got to make sure she doesn't get into trouble. Hmm. Trouble? Allie's hardly ever in trouble except for one time where she ran under the car, plopped herself down, and made me crawl under the car to get her. She wasn't happy when I got her out and gave her a bath. :) And you can't stay mad at them for long because they're so darn cute with those cute little beardie smiles or grins. And their eyes look directly at you with both eyes crossed eyed.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Well I just got off the phone with and ask about rascal and he said he passed away I came home from my first job to check on him he was about the same just laying there I touch him and he moved. He still didn't poop.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can only think of a vet visit since he hasn't pooped. :*(.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@bouncer36...I am a bit confused by your last post..Is your dragon alive still? I do sincerely hope so! As to the no pooping issue that you have been concerned about I have read back through your thread and really do not see anything that you have mentioned as far as diet that could be the cause of constipation or impaction since you aquired him. Impaction is actually not as common as a lot of folks would lead you to believe. From what I have read he was eating up until just a few days ago and has only in the past few days started showing signs of stress and not eating and not pooping.. I'm just trying to get the facts straight.
Your enclosure looks fine and it appears that you have his temps correct. I also know that he was quite small when you got him and had apparently gained weight.
Have you weighed him recently to see if he is loosing weight now?
How often has he been handled on a daily basis since you got him?
Has he been given sufficient time to acclimate to his enclosure?
Is there a lot of heavy traffic in the area where his enclosure is located?
I am asking these questions in hopes that he is still alive and to try and determine what stress factors he may have because as I have talked about before the most common reasons reptiles in general go off food are stress and environment issues. Him being as small as he was when you got his would compound those. And if he is stressed and not eating then that is the reason he is not pooping not because he is constipated or impacted but simply because he has nothing to poop.
Therefore the issue of trying to get him to poop is moot and not of primary concern but rather trying to get him interested in eating again should be the focus.
Is he dehydrated? If so then the 30 minute soak you gave him was probably a very good thing and although I probably wouldn't give him a daily soak you asked would it hurt to give him another tomorrow and the answer would be no however if what his real problem happens to be is stress then the more you handle him whether it be to touch him, pet him, bath him,etc will likely only stress him more.
You could offer him a small amount of melon diced very small if he is dehydrated...melons have a super high percentage of water...I have done this with my dragon as well as our other lizards on occasion but only as I said a small amount and not a daily or even weekly thing..melons also have a high sugar percentage so shouldn't be fed daily.
I have heard others suggest baby food which I am not a strong proponent of unless it is as a last resort as should be syringe feeding which is highly stressful on a creature anytime.
I would re-check his temps in his enclosure, try and minimize traffic and handling and keep to offering fresh greens and his feeders and see if he doesnt come around in another day or two.
If not then I believe that a vet visit would be the next step to have them check him to make sure that he does not have an internal parasite issue. Of recent I have read a few articles and it has been estimated that at least 50% of reptiles purchased at petshops these days come home with an internal parasite problem mainly due to improper care and housing while they are at the stores. That is why a vet check should be on the top of the list when bringing one home just to be on the safe side anyway. A vet visit may also take some of the worry off of you as well.
These little dragons normally carry some parasites in them anyway but when healthy and being kept in the right conditions their bodies keep the parasite levels down. Improper husbandry, housing, diet, temps and the stress caused by them can make those parasite levels get out of control though and that is also part of the reason that when bringing a new one home that the acclimation period is so very important to follow. It is a tremendously stressful time on a creature that was probably stressed out to begin with when you picked it up.
I truly hope that your little dragon will be okay and that he will come around soon and start eating again( when he eats he will poop) and I will be watching for your updates and am always willing to help with any advice I may can offer.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Well he was gaining weight and grown a half a inch then all sudden he stop eating had not in two days I did weighed himthe other day he seem to lost 2 grams. So he went from 2g to 4g then back to 2g. I gave him a thirty MIN soak in warm water trying to get him to poop. When I put him back in his encloser I could see him trying to poop but nothing came out. I left to go to work I decided I stop by the house on the way to my other job to check to see if he did something he is no longer alert acting the same way the other little one was. I went on to work and around 430pm called my husband to see about him and he said he was dead when he got home. I don't know what happen everything was good was giving him the smallest crickets and chopping his greens up in tiny pieces. But I do know I'm cleaning the tank tomorrow and putting it away had my heart tore up twice in a row and if I was to get another one sometime won't be that small

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'm glad to hear that your dragon is still alive. Any other hints as to what might be going on?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm so sorry to hear that. I really hoped and prayed he'd be all right. How about an older dragon: Juvenile, maybe?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Or am I misunderstanding as well? You did say that he was still alive when you got home after your husband told you he was dead, right?

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
No ok I work 2 Jobs today on the way to my Second one I stop by my house to check on him and there was no change in him laying there. I touch him and he moved. I had to go couldn't be late for work. I called my husband on my 15min break to check on rascal and he check on him when he came home from his job and he was dead. I just now got home from work . That would be mean of him if he told me that

Latest posts