• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Just Lays there All Day

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
My son was 11 when we got ours and is now 13. He wanted a hamster but I talked him out of it LOL. He paid for it with his own money but like so many people realized we were in over our heads pretty quickly. I made sure everything I read he knows about - we’ll talk things through Almost daily like how is she acting, are we almost out of food, how’s the basking temps and humidity.

As we upgraded enclosures he couldn’t even reach over the top (we use aquariums) and I remember thinking good grief even a short adult would have trouble with this! So now we have a rhythm going where I cut up all the food at the beginning of the week (so vegetable pieces aren’t too big) and leave in fridge. He cleans out the old food and then gets new out in the morning and feeds her. He also cleans up poop, will spritz her weekly especially when she’s shedding, and makes time to get her out at least once a day when possible and puts in his window/watches her. I make sure we order and/or have bulbs when needed, calcium and supplements are up to date, and clean out the cage with him helping. He also feeds her crickets on the days she gets protein. She’s 3 now and is so much fun - taken care of properly they are such interesting pets!
I'll be cutting up his greens for him in the mornings or at least have my son do it, instruct him how big at least. Now I know he has been giving them to him too big.

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
150 Watt is way too high!! Get a 100 watt clear zoomed basking bulb and u have not answered the question about UVB!!! It seems as tho u are very laxed in caring for this reptile!! Do u have a Reptisun 10.0 T5??? 70 percent coverage long of the tank???? Yesor no?? Also u have not been feeding him properly he is way too skinny and dying!! Give him UVB 100 watt heat and lots of crickets and Dubia roaches or super worms when he feels like eating!! This is sickening to see
The first thing he should do is take him to the vet for a checkup and a fecal test to eliminate parasites and MBD. If he is cleared then provided the other steps you mentioned I would also feed some wax worms to his diet to add some weight on him

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Bearded Dragons Brumate. (Hibernate) tis' the season, and this could be what is happening. A hide is wonderful for them. Offer your dragon food everyday, but don't be surprised if your dragon does not eat, this is normal. Brumation can last a few days, or a few weeks, I have had dragons slow down/ lay around for months, and then all is normal again. I have had dragons for 20+ years.
Or up to 3 months

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Sounds like brumation to me. I would stop trying to feel him. After his next poop, shut down his lights and cover most of his cage with a towel or blanket. We live in New Hampshire and our beardie brumated Nov - March
It definitely sound like brumation, but what is worrying me is his back and only using his front legs.

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you!! And you are right! My sons dragon does need a lot more care than what he realizes. I'm only trying to learn what to do and how to take care of him
I have a question have your son beardie ever been seen by a Vet and had a fecal exam done. If not keep in mind they should been seen once a year and a fecal exam every 6 months

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your 5.0 I would change out to the 10.0 the 5.0 is more for aquariums -- the 10.0 is geared for reptiles -- and please limit the blueberries -- they are high in sugar and you dont want to make him diabetic -- they should be fed sparingly --
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll be cutting up his greens for him in the mornings or at least have my son do it, instruct him how big at least. Now I know he has been giving them to him too big.
You dont want to feed him anything to big - the leaves of the greens are ok they can chew them up its the insects that we are worried about or too big of fruit pieces --- and for the substrate you can add a piece of ceramic slated tile in the tank that will keep the nails filed down so they arent so sharp

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No we never have taken him to the vet. We are good friends with our vet ans her son has raised a beardie in the past. I am going to take him tomorrow
Do NOT let them do an enema -- you need to let the dragon poop and take it in --- here is a topic on enemas

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
It definitely sound like brumation, but what is worrying me is his back and only using his front legs.
That's what worries me too. I know that's not normal at all...and I don't know much about beardies. It's things like that my son is not seeing, no disrespect to him, but you know what I mean. It's all a learning process.

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Do NOT let them do an enema -- you need to let the dragon poop and take it in --- here is a topic on enemas
Thank you! I'm hoping he will have a bowel movement soon. Hopefully by tomorrow morning.

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Your 5.0 I would change out to the 10.0 the 5.0 is more for aquariums -- the 10.0 is geared for reptiles -- and please limit the blueberries -- they are high in sugar and you dont want to make him diabetic -- they should be fed sparingly --
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Good deal! We haven't given him any blueberries. If I said that, that was a mistake.

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
You dont want to feed him anything to big - the leaves of the greens are ok they can chew them up its the insects that we are worried about or too big of fruit pieces --- and for the substrate you can add a piece of ceramic slated tile in the tank that will keep the nails filed down so they arent so sharp
Yeah, I will definitely not be feeding him anything too large after reading everyone's posts here. It sure has helped me a lot!!! I will have to get a piece of tile for him for sure!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! I'm hoping he will have a bowel movement soon. Hopefully by tomorrow morning.
How long has it been? It is not uncommon for dragons to not poop for long periods of time -- if you want to push things along feed him some unsweetened applesauce baby food squash or baby food prunes w/ a drop or two of honey and olive oil -- keep feeding till he poops but he MUST have good basking temps and good UVB

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
How long has it been? It is not uncommon for dragons to not poop for long periods of time -- if you want to push things along feed him some unsweetened applesauce baby food squash or baby food prunes w/ a drop or two of honey and olive oil -- keep feeding till he poops but he MUST have good basking temps and good UVB
He had a bowel movement yesterday, but he hasn't had one today at all and that worries me. He ate this morning as well. I put him in warm water too and rubbed his tummy, but he didn't produce anything.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He had a bowel movement yesterday, but he hasn't had one today at all and that worries me. He ate this morning as well. I put him in warm water too and rubbed his tummy, but he didn't produce anything.
Dragons dont poop every day especially adults -- it is not uncommon for them not to poop for weeks -- my two dont poop but every couple of weeks -- they are only going to poop out what goes in and my two arent eating alot at the moment -- its that time of year where everything slows down -- but when they do poop its usually a good one -- as long as your basking temps are good and the UVB is a good one and in proper place for the bulb and you arent feeding over size bugs they will poop--- and keep them hydrated too that helps

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Dragons dont poop every day especially adults -- it is not uncommon for them not to poop for weeks -- my two dont poop but every couple of weeks -- they are only going to poop out what goes in and my two arent eating alot at the moment -- its that time of year where everything slows down -- but when they do poop its usually a good one -- as long as your basking temps are good and the UVB is a good one and in proper place for the bulb and you arent feeding over size bugs they will poop--- and keep them hydrated too that helps
Well, that's a little more comforting to know!! I hope that's all it is! I will keep an eye on him and make sure he is well hydrated. I'm planning on taking him to the vet tomorrow just to make sure he is ok. Again, I appreciate all the information you and everyone else on here has provided!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, that's a little more comforting to know!! I hope that's all it is! I will keep an eye on him and make sure he is well hydrated. I'm planning on taking him to the vet tomorrow just to make sure he is ok. Again, I appreciate all the information you and everyone else on here has provided!!
Let me know how the visit goes

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
No we never have taken him to the vet. We are good friends with our vet ans her son has raised a beardie in the past. I am going to take him tomorrow
Let us know how that goes, once that is done and he is absolutely healthy then you know for sure he is is most likely going through brumation