• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Just Lays there All Day

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I would add as well that if dehydrated you should buy hornworms - they love them and are a really good source of fluids. Our BD got lethargic and didn’t want to eat or move around much and the vet did some bloodwork, which pointed toward dehydration. We also syringe fed pedialyte mixed with warm water - but you’d need to be careful not to do this without knowing for sure because too much liquid isn’t great and also please be very careful administering the fluids so the BD doesn’t aspirate any. You can look up videos on how to do it the right way (usually by searching how to give BD medication by mouth). Taking them outside is also great for getting them to perk up and also of course is the best source of UVB in direct sunlight. Good luck and thank you for caring enough to try to help the poor guy

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
I would add as well that if dehydrated you should buy hornworms - they love them and are a really good source of fluids. Our BD got lethargic and didn’t want to eat or move around much and the vet did some bloodwork, which pointed toward dehydration. We also syringe fed pedialyte mixed with warm water - but you’d need to be careful not to do this without knowing for sure because too much liquid isn’t great and also please be very careful administering the fluids so the BD doesn’t aspirate any. You can look up videos on how to do it the right way (usually by searching how to give BD medication by mouth). Taking them outside is also great for getting them to perk up and also of course is the best source of UVB in direct sunlight. Good luck and thank you for caring enough to try to help the poor guy
Thank you for the information! When I placed him in the tub earlier, he did drink a little, which was good. I made sure he didn't gulp water.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please make sure your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer -- place it on the spot where he basks for 10 min or so get temp --- for a juvie / adult dragon you want it between 95-110 NO hotter --- basking bulbs are trial and error --- did you get the UVB situated as I had posted earlier? How old is your son? If he is very young he will not be able to properly take care of the dragon -- they are too complex to take care of even some of us adults have a hard time w/ the care --- it is good you have taken over --- I always tell people when they have said they have bought a dragon for their child that its going to be their dragon so to speak and the care of it --- dragons are very good at hiding their illness until its too late for they are showing signs of illness --- temps at nite should not fall below 65 -- dragons like it cool and dark -- if you need heat at nite please get a CHE ceramic heat emitter -- we can help w/ that

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Please make sure your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer -- place it on the spot where he basks for 10 min or so get temp --- for a juvie / adult dragon you want it between 95-110 NO hotter --- basking bulbs are trial and error --- did you get the UVB situated as I had posted earlier? How old is your son? If he is very young he will not be able to properly take care of the dragon -- they are too complex to take care of even some of us adults have a hard time w/ the care --- it is good you have taken over --- I always tell people when they have said they have bought a dragon for their child that its going to be their dragon so to speak and the care of it --- dragons are very good at hiding their illness until its too late for they are showing signs of illness --- temps at nite should not fall below 65 -- dragons like it cool and dark -- if you need heat at nite please get a CHE ceramic heat emitter -- we can help w/ that
The UVB light I believe is ok. It's a 10.0. He seems to be more lively than he was before. The issue now is that he won't make a bowel movement. My son is 13. I don't think he realized how much went into taking care of a beardie; neither did I and I have learned some things about taking care of them. I have also read online where you can give them Pedialyte for dehydration. Just not sure how he will take that in unless it's in the bath water which I have read as well.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB light I believe is ok. It's a 10.0. He seems to be more lively than he was before. The issue now is that he won't make a bowel movement. My son is 13. I don't think he realized how much went into taking care of a beardie; neither did I and I have learned some things about taking care of them. I have also read online where you can give them Pedialyte for dehydration. Just not sure how he will take that in unless it's in the bath water which I have read as well.
You can give water -- either by bathing see if he drink from a bath -- drop water on his nose to see if he will lick or by eye dropper --- feeding fresh salads every morning rinsed before serving will give him lots of moisture if hes eating salads -- also make sure his insects are good and gut loaded meaning you can feed them carrots but not the dragon too much Vit A -- Pedialyte has too much sugar in it so you would want to dilute it down like 50% -- you can tell by his poops if hes dehydrated --- dark poop should be formed and moist the urate should be formed moist and white if its chalky or dried out looking hes dehydrated -- your son is not old enough to care for the dragon on his own your gonna haft to start taking care of him now -- I would have him help you and the both of you take care of him together --- You UVB is a 10.0 coil or tube? ???? this is extremely important ---- where is the UVB ?

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
You can give water -- either by bathing see if he drink from a bath -- drop water on his nose to see if he will lick or by eye dropper --- feeding fresh salads every morning rinsed before serving will give him lots of moisture if hes eating salads -- also make sure his insects are good and gut loaded meaning you can feed them carrots but not the dragon too much Vit A -- Pedialyte has too much sugar in it so you would want to dilute it down like 50% -- you can tell by his poops if hes dehydrated --- dark poop should be formed and moist the urate should be formed moist and white if its chalky or dried out looking hes dehydrated -- your son is not old enough to care for the dragon on his own your gonna haft to start taking care of him now -- I would have him help you and the both of you take care of him together --- You UVB is a 10.0 coil or tube? ???? this is extremely important ---- where is the UVB ?
The UVB is a tube light for sure and is in the middle of his terrarium. I did tell my son to make sure when he gives him salads, to make sure there is moisture on the greens by rinsing them off. When I placed his beardie in the tub earlier, I did place drops of water on his nose and he did drink. I appreciate the information so much!! I wanna see the little guy live!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB is a tube light for sure and is in the middle of his terrarium. I did tell my son to make sure when he gives him salads, to make sure there is moisture on the greens by rinsing them off. When I placed his beardie in the tub earlier, I did place drops of water on his nose and he did drink. I appreciate the information so much!! I wanna see the little guy live!!
I am going to post some websites later for worms/ insects

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My son was 11 when we got ours and is now 13. He wanted a hamster but I talked him out of it LOL. He paid for it with his own money but like so many people realized we were in over our heads pretty quickly. I made sure everything I read he knows about - we’ll talk things through Almost daily like how is she acting, are we almost out of food, how’s the basking temps and humidity.

As we upgraded enclosures he couldn’t even reach over the top (we use aquariums) and I remember thinking good grief even a short adult would have trouble with this! So now we have a rhythm going where I cut up all the food at the beginning of the week (so vegetable pieces aren’t too big) and leave in fridge. He cleans out the old food and then gets new out in the morning and feeds her. He also cleans up poop, will spritz her weekly especially when she’s shedding, and makes time to get her out at least once a day when possible and puts in his window/watches her. I make sure we order and/or have bulbs when needed, calcium and supplements are up to date, and clean out the cage with him helping. He also feeds her crickets on the days she gets protein. She’s 3 now and is so much fun - taken care of properly they are such interesting pets!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Websites for insects/ worms
www.dubiaroaches.com great place for roaches super worms and horn worms -- they grow very fast so order small amounts they are a great hydrating worm
www.reptilianarts.com great place for silk worms -- they come cupped and w/ food you need to clean containers out daily
www.mulberryfarms.com - nice horn worms and they are the only ones that have butter worms - dont order super worms from here or reptilianarts - they send in butcher block paper w/ no food you need them in containers w/ food like dubia sends - this place is spendy on shipping
www.coastalsilkworms.com they have two places east and west coast
www.aafeeders.com they have bundle packs --
Please make sure your UVB is in proper place -- if you got the T 8 it needs to be inside the tank w / NO obstruction meaning no cover over the bulb --- it cannot sit on top of the screen - the T 5 can but it depends on the screen that is why I am asking about the bulb
Ok so please put it in the tank --- if you havent already --- I can post things on how to hang if you like it also needs to be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
My son was 11 when we got ours and is now 13. He wanted a hamster but I talked him out of it LOL. He paid for it with his own money but like so many people realized we were in over our heads pretty quickly. I made sure everything I read he knows about - we’ll talk things through Almost daily like how is she acting, are we almost out of food, how’s the basking temps and humidity.

As we upgraded enclosures he couldn’t even reach over the top (we use aquariums) and I remember thinking good grief even a short adult would have trouble with this! So now we have a rhythm going where I cut up all the food at the beginning of the week (so vegetable pieces aren’t too big) and leave in fridge. He cleans out the old food and then gets new out in the morning and feeds her. He also cleans up poop, will spritz her weekly especially when she’s shedding, and makes time to get her out at least once a day when possible and puts in his window/watches her. I make sure we order and/or have bulbs when needed, calcium and supplements are up to date, and clean out the cage with him helping. He also feeds her crickets on the days she gets protein. She’s 3 now and is so much fun - taken care of properly they are such interesting pets!
I'm sure I will be doing most of the work taking care of his beardie, which is no problem. All of these things mentioned is good advice and I appreciate it!! What type of substrate should go on the bottom? Right now, we have the kind that you cut out, but as I've read, beardies will eat anything and I'm sure those particles on the substrate is not good for him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sure I will be doing most of the work taking care of his beardie, which is no problem. All of these things mentioned is good advice and I appreciate it!! What type of substrate should go on the bottom? Right now, we have the kind that you cut out, but as I've read, beardies will eat anything and I'm sure those particles on the substrate is not good for him.
You can use some textured NON adhesive shelf liner - cut to size of the tank and insects cannot get underneath its easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 -- you can get this at your local home improvement store

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
You can use some textured NON adhesive shelf liner - cut to size of the tank and insects cannot get underneath its easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 -- you can get this at your local home improvement store
LOL! I was researching which substrates to use and I saw that as an option. I think I'll go that route. Like you say, it's the easiest to clean. I certainly appreciate all the information you've given me!! Now all I need to do is reposition his UVB light.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL! I was researching which substrates to use and I saw that as an option. I think I'll go that route. Like you say, it's the easiest to clean. I certainly appreciate all the information you've given me!! Now all I need to do is reposition his UVB light.
Ok good let me know if you need more help ---

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
I ended up getting a Zoomed 5.0. It is on top of his tank or animal protein I recommend Silkworms, Dubia Roaches, BSFL. You can even get some Repashy grub hub. Beardies love that stuff. As far as veggies is concerned you can feed collard Green, Turnip Greens, kale, Mustard Greens, bell peppers,, butternut squash, green beans, peas, cilantro, parsley (occasionally), carrots the only fruit my boy will eat is blueberries

Latest posts