• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Just Lays there All Day

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
My son has a bearded dragon that is about a year old I would say. Here recently, I have noticed that he just lays there and does nothing. My son was gone yesterday, so I went and picked up his dragon, and the dragon did not attack me like he normally would. I found that odd. I fed him some Super Worms, 3 total. I actually had to place the dragon in front of the worms to get him to eat them.
mad yiu can see in the picture, this is where he lays all day. The temperature inside is about 92ish degrees. I'm thinking it needs to be hotter than that.
Tha me in advance for any suggestions y'all may have.

Attachments

• 991E9643-278E-4E10-9D12-501E8F996C93.jpeg
    991E9643-278E-4E10-9D12-501E8F996C93.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 120

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1. Please don't feed superworms as the main diet, they're like a lizard Happy Meal.
2. Your beardie may be in brumation if he appears to be sleeping all day. If this is the case, do not offer any more food. Here's a helpful brumation guide: https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/
3. What kind of UVB light do you use in the tank? Is it a coil/compact, bulb or tube? What brand?
4. What heat source do you use?
5. What kind of substrate does your beardie have? If it's a sand mat, please get rid of it. They're hard to clean and can be dangerous.
6. What kind of insects and veggies do you feed? What kind of supplements do you use?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please answer Hoomans questions --- the dragon is losing weight I can look at him and tell -- lighting in that tank is the MOST important thing in it --- basking temps and UVB crucial --- please go over the husbandry ---- basking temps need to be 95-110 for a juvie / adult dragon taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- place the probe on the spot he basks --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your dragon will not eat w/ out correct basking temps and good UVB--- NO coils

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
1. Please don't feed superworms as the main diet, they're like a lizard Happy Meal.
2. Your beardie may be in brumation if he appears to be sleeping all day. If this is the case, do not offer any more food. Here's a helpful brumation guide: https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/
3. What kind of UVB light do you use in the tank? Is it a coil/compact, bulb or tube? What brand?
4. What heat source do you use?
5. What kind of substrate does your beardie have? If it's a sand mat, please get rid of it. They're hard to clean and can be dangerous.
6. What kind of insects and veggies do you feed? What kind of supplements do you use?
Thank you for your reply. He does not get fed super worms all of the time. Usually, he gets fed mealworms.
His UVB light is a tube and the brand name is Zoo Med 5.0 UVB.
Heat source is a 100 watt bulb.
The substrate is a sand mat for sure.
As far as veggies, he gets strawberries and greens, no supplements

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Please answer Hoomans questions --- the dragon is losing weight I can look at him and tell -- lighting in that tank is the MOST important thing in it --- basking temps and UVB crucial --- please go over the husbandry ---- basking temps need to be 95-110 for a juvie / adult dragon taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- place the probe on the spot he basks --
I can tell he is not getting enough heat because like I said, the temperature in there on the "hot" side is like around 92 degrees

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can tell he is not getting enough heat because like I said, the temperature in there on the "hot" side is like around 92 degrees
Ok so make sure your getting that basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer and the UVB as well -- he cannot absorb the calcium w/ out proper UVB -- please tell me what your using --- he will die if this is not correct and hes already losing weight

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Mealworms are actually worse than superworms, as they contain little to no nutrition, they're very high in chitin, and they are too high in fat. Dubia roaches, black soldier fly larvae, and discoid roaches are all better choices. Supplements are essential for the well-being of a bearded dragon. Rep-cal is a good brand for these. You'll need a calcium, a calcium with D3, and a multivitamin supplement. You won't need to use the calcium supplements if you switch to black soldier fly larvae. He should be getting fresh salads every day-kale, collard greens, mustard greens, squash, bell pepper, sweet potato, and carrots and fruit once or twice a week.

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Mealworms are actually worse than superworms, as they contain little to no nutrition, they're very high in chitin, and they are too high in fat. Dubia roaches, black soldier fly larvae, and discoid roaches are all better choices. Supplements are essential for the well-being of a bearded dragon. Rep-cal is a good brand for these. You'll need a calcium, a calcium with D3, and a multivitamin supplement. You won't need to use the calcium supplements if you switch to black soldier fly larvae. He should be getting fresh salads every day-kale, collard greens, mustard greens, squash, bell pepper, sweet potato, and carrots and fruit once or twice a week.
Good Information to know. I think my son kind of lost track with taking care of his dragon and I sure don't want to see it die. He just put kale and strawberries in with his dragon yesterday, but his dragon did not eat any of it. I'm thinking it is the the heat source that has his dragon feeling the way he is and not wanting to eat.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good Information to know. I think my son kind of lost track with taking care of his dragon and I sure don't want to see it die. He just put kale and strawberries in with his dragon yesterday, but his dragon did not eat any of it. I'm thinking it is the the heat source that has his dragon feeling the way he is and not wanting to eat.
It is both- how old is the bulb? T 8's need to be changed out every 6 months - what brand is the bulb? If it's a zilla please get this bulb a Reptisun 10.0 T 8- take the clear plastic cover off the fixture leave it off-- next hang it inside the tank approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor-- you can hang the fixture w/ these 3M Velcro command fasteners--long plastic zip ties- fishing line- potted plant wire hangers- picture wire hangers- TAK TY cable and hook ties they look like Velcro straps try Walmart but you MUST get this done ASAP-- your dragon has basically been getting NO UVB w/ the way it is

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
The light is definitly a T8 Reptisun. We just changed it out like a week ago, but I can tell you it is not 6-8" away from the bottom of where he lays