• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Just Lays there All Day

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I certainly will

i did get a new UVB bulb and his basking area is at the temp where it should be. As far as him laying there, he is not always doing that. He ate last night ans I saw him drink water this morning. Not sure if he ate this morning though
What did you get for a UVB? Brand and bulb ? And where in the tank is it?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I ended up getting a Zoomed 5.0. It is on top of his tank
Please tell me the fixture length---- the 5.0 is not strong enough to go thru the screen --- it needs to go inside the tank for now approx 6-8 inches directly above basking decor -- I need to know the length please --- you can hang the fixture w/ these 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- potted plant wire hangers -- fishing line -- shoe laces -- TAK TY cable and hook ties they look like Velcro straps try Walmart they work great

landon ✰

Hatchling Dragon
Good Information to know. I think my son kind of lost track with taking care of his dragon and I sure don't want to see it die. He just put kale and strawberries in with his dragon yesterday, but his dragon did not eat any of it. I'm thinking it is the the heat source that has his dragon feeling the way he is and not wanting to eat.
Yes, please DO NOT feed mealworms - use superworms instead as a TREAT!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My son has a bearded dragon that is about a year old I would say. Here recently, I have noticed that he just lays there and does nothing. My son was gone yesterday, so I went and picked up his dragon, and the dragon did not attack me like he normally would. I found that odd. I fed him some Super Worms, 3 total. I actually had to place the dragon in front of the worms to get him to eat them.
mad yiu can see in the picture, this is where he lays all day. The temperature inside is about 92ish degrees. I'm thinking it needs to be hotter than that.
Tha me in advance for any suggestions y'all may have.
Hi if the Dragon isn’t warm/normal body temp & doesn’t have good UVB, then he won’t/can’t eat & can’t poop. If he hasn’t pooped give him a bath and rub his tummy downward to get him to poop and place him in lukewarm water to soak. Only feed him after he’s been basking for an hour or 2 at least. The heat should be a clear basking bulb by zoomed and should be around 95-98 use a digital thermometer with a probe and rest it on the basking spot to check the temp. U can place some rolled up towels or baby stuffed animals from pet store so he has higher/lower basking spots. The humidity needs to be 30-40 never any higher again buy a digital hygrometer place both in hot side next to his basking area. Lights (UVB & Heat) must be on in the summer 12-14 hours and in the winter it’s 10-12 hours. At nite all lights off but make sure thee temp doesn’t drop below 70 in his cage, Otherwise he could get an upper respiratory infection. U can Buy a ceramic heat emitter 60 watt & place it on the side he sleeps on at night but place it a few inches away to the right or left of his body. The uvb should be the Reptisun 10.0 T5 & the length should cover 70 percent of the tank. Also he needs a hammock behind his basking spot and place a terry cloth over it so he can get away from the uvb as needed. if u have a Reptisun 5.0 that gives little to NO uvb so order the 10.0 T5 asap and those need replacing every 6mnths. Without uvb he won’t eat, can’t absorb vitamin D and can’t breakdown the calcium and bones will be brittle and will be near death. Also are using REPCAL? It’s calcium powder sprinkle it on the protein or veggies 3-4 times a week. And baths twice a week in Luke warm water for 15min at a time in dechlorinated water so buy Reptisafe and add a few drops in drinking and bathing water. He should be eating 10 supers 5 in the mornign 5 mid afternoon and mustard/collard greens, dandelions, endives, butternut squash, yellow squash, green beans ans snap pease do 2-3 of each daily twice a day and place it in the cold area with a bowl of water. Those are the best everyday greens/veggies and blue berries or mangoes/papaya 1-2 times a week as treats. Also other good proteins are Dubia roaches and crickets and u can place them in his water bowl so he gets his water too, he will Dive for them. He looks like he’s in bad shape, let get him hydrated, UVB asap and higher heat a bit. If he’s not pooping u have to get him to poop; Never feed mealworms or bottled food. Only what I recommended. Again he has to have the right temps & uvb replacing every 6mnths. Also if his poop is loose/diahrra he has Coccidia he needs a vet asap it’s $50 to test his stool
Sample make sure it’s a reptile vet that knows reptiles. Healthy poop should be oval and long and shaped well like a cats poop. Hope this helps and let’s get him a hideaway like a hammock with a cloth over it and a fluffy blanket underneath so he can hide if need be. Here are pics of mine. My hot side is on the right and basking in the front right amd he can bask on hammock too they love it and under the hammock he can hide and she has a fluffy blanket folded nicely & diff a animals and cushions for her to lay on and perch herself on.

Attachments

• 8554497B-4D4B-400A-A963-DCF062B5F66D.jpeg
    8554497B-4D4B-400A-A963-DCF062B5F66D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 8805561A-86C7-4D2C-897C-CD4B0E0798F1.jpeg
    8805561A-86C7-4D2C-897C-CD4B0E0798F1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11

ItalianBrian

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My son has a bearded dragon that is about a year old I would say. Here recently, I have noticed that he just lays there and does nothing. My son was gone yesterday, so I went and picked up his dragon, and the dragon did not attack me like he normally would. I found that odd. I fed him some Super Worms, 3 total. I actually had to place the dragon in front of the worms to get him to eat them.
mad yiu can see in the picture, this is where he lays all day. The temperature inside is about 92ish degrees. I'm thinking it needs to be hotter than that.
Bearded Dragons Brumate. (Hibernate) tis' the season, and this could be what is happening. A hide is wonderful for them. Offer your dragon food everyday, but don't be surprised if your dragon does not eat, this is normal. Brumation can last a few days, or a few weeks, I have had dragons slow down/ lay around for months, and then all is normal again. I have had dragons for 20+ years.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
For an adult, it needs to be around 100F on the hot side and around 70-80 on the cool side.
It’s actually 95-98 as they get older they don’t like it too too hot. But yes get the zoomed basking clear bulb they are the beat for a 40 gallon yank buy the 75 watt and he needs uvb

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
You might want to get a 150 watt bulb, how big is your enclosure and how are you measuring the temperature
the enclosure is 12"x18"X36". I have placed a 150 watt bulb in there. He seems to be eating better. One thing I've noticed about him though is when he is walking, he is only using his front legs and not his back legs. I can tell his back looked crooked for whatever reason.

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Hi if the Dragon isn’t warm/normal body temp & doesn’t have good UVB, then he won’t/can’t eat & can’t poop. If he hasn’t pooped give him a bath and rub his tummy downward to get him to poop and place him in lukewarm water to soak. Only feed him after he’s been basking for an hour or 2 at least. The heat should be a clear basking bulb by zoomed and should be around 95-98 use a digital thermometer with a probe and rest it on the basking spot to check the temp. U can place some rolled up towels or baby stuffed animals from pet store so he has higher/lower basking spots. The humidity needs to be 30-40 never any higher again buy a digital hygrometer place both in hot side next to his basking area. Lights (UVB & Heat) must be on in the summer 12-14 hours and in the winter it’s 10-12 hours. At nite all lights off but make sure thee temp doesn’t drop below 70 in his cage, Otherwise he could get an upper respiratory infection. U can Buy a ceramic heat emitter 60 watt & place it on the side he sleeps on at night but place it a few inches away to the right or left of his body. The uvb should be the Reptisun 10.0 T5 & the length should cover 70 percent of the tank. Also he needs a hammock behind his basking spot and place a terry cloth over it so he can get away from the uvb as needed. if u have a Reptisun 5.0 that gives little to NO uvb so order the 10.0 T5 asap and those need replacing every 6mnths. Without uvb he won’t eat, can’t absorb vitamin D and can’t breakdown the calcium and bones will be brittle and will be near death. Also are using REPCAL? It’s calcium powder sprinkle it on the protein or veggies 3-4 times a week. And baths twice a week in Luke warm water for 15min at a time in dechlorinated water so buy Reptisafe and add a few drops in drinking and bathing water. He should be eating 10 supers 5 in the mornign 5 mid afternoon and mustard/collard greens, dandelions, endives, butternut squash, yellow squash, green beans ans snap pease do 2-3 of each daily twice a day and place it in the cold area with a bowl of water. Those are the best everyday greens/veggies and blue berries or mangoes/papaya 1-2 times a week as treats. Also other good proteins are Dubia roaches and crickets and u can place them in his water bowl so he gets his water too, he will Dive for them. He looks like he’s in bad shape, let get him hydrated, UVB asap and higher heat a bit. If he’s not pooping u have to get him to poop; Never feed mealworms or bottled food. Only what I recommended. Again he has to have the right temps & uvb replacing every 6mnths. Also if his poop is loose/diahrra he has Coccidia he needs a vet asap it’s $50 to test his stool
Sample make sure it’s a reptile vet that knows reptiles. Healthy poop should be oval and long and shaped well like a cats poop. Hope this helps and let’s get him a hideaway like a hammock with a cloth over it and a fluffy blanket underneath so he can hide if need be. Here are pics of mine. My hot side is on the right and basking in the front right amd he can bask on hammock too they love it and under the hammock he can hide and she has a fluffy blanket folded nicely & diff a animals and cushions for her to lay on and perch herself on.
I put him in warm water earlier and tried to get him to poop, but he wouldnt. I removed him from the tub and allowed him to walk on the floor, but he is only using his front legs to walk with. I noticed his back is crooked for whatever reason and I know that's not a good sign. He does not seem to be in any pain and he is eating like he should be now.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
the enclosure is 12"x18"X36". I have placed a 150 watt bulb in there. He seems to be eating better. One thing I've noticed about him though is when he is walking, he is only using his front legs and not his back legs. I can tell his back looked crooked for whatever reason.
150 Watt is way too high!! Get a 100 watt clear zoomed basking bulb and u have not answered the question about UVB!!! It seems as tho u are very laxed in caring for this reptile!! Do u have a Reptisun 10.0 T5??? 70 percent coverage long of the tank???? Yesor no?? Also u have not been feeding him properly he is way too skinny and dying!! Give him UVB 100 watt heat and lots of crickets and Dubia roaches or super worms when he feels like eating!! This is sickening to see

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I put him in warm water earlier and tried to get him to poop, but he wouldnt. I removed him from the tub and allowed him to walk on the floor, but he is only using his front legs to walk with. I noticed his back is crooked for whatever reason and I know that's not a good sign. He does not seem to be in any pain and he is eating like he should be now.
He needs UVB, u are acting like it’s funny oh he’s not walking on his back legs!! Is this a joke?! Get him UVB Reptisun 10.0 T5 asap and till it arrives sit with him in the hot sun for as long as possible 1-2 hours ina. Fluffy blanket and on yoru lap till u get the uVb. Also REMOVE and sand substrate asap and DONOT feed meal worms or wax worms or any junk feeders. Please do what u recommended we rescue and rehome and this is negligence amd improper husbandry!!

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
He needs UVB, u are acting like it’s funny oh he’s not walking on his back legs!! Is this a joke?! Get him UVB Reptisun 10.0 T5 asap and till it arrives sit with him in the hot sun for as long as possible 1-2 hours ina. Fluffy blanket and on yoru lap till u get the uVb. Also REMOVE and sand substrate asap and DONOT feed meal worms or wax worms or any junk feeders. Please do what u recommended we rescue and rehome and this is negligence amd improper husbandry!!
Excised
Excuse me? You think that I think it's funny? This is my son's dragon that I am trying to take care of since he does not realize how much of a huge responsibility it is to take care of one. Don't bother responding to this message. I definetely do not need anymore suggestions from you.

crystalmedle

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would take him to the vet. Everyone is going to tell you different things to do. That way you know what the issue is and how to correct it. My breaded dragon fall and broken his arm 2 months ago. I took him to the vet and tt them about my setup. My vet said correct setup is long Zoo med buld T5 with baking spot at 95 to 100 (bulbs should be replaced every 6 months) Also was told a heating pad does need to added to my tank. Which a lot people don't agree. If you add one it's goes under the tank and put a rag in between the glass and whatever type of mat you use inside the tank on the hot side of the tank. Foods I feed my breaded dragon are fly laver, crickets, superworms, wax worms, all different types of veg and fruits. I also feed ours baby food. He gets fresh food every single day. Also a timer is great to have so you know your dragon is getting enough heating hours during the day. At night my tank goes off besides the heating pad which stays on 24/7. Good luck, I wish you guys the best. I hope you take him to the vet he could even have mbd. Sometimes it's hard to see the signs before it's to late. My vet bill was 160.

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
I would take him to the vet. Everyone is going to tell you different things to do. That way you know what the issue is and how to correct it. My breaded dragon fall and broken his arm 2 months ago. I took him to the vet and tt them about my setup. My vet said correct setup is long Zoo med buld T5 with baking spot at 95 to 100 (bulbs should be replaced every 6 months) Also was told a heating pad does need to added to my tank. Which a lot people don't agree. If you add one it's goes under the tank and put a rag in between the glass and whatever type of mat you use inside the tank on the hot side of the tank. Foods I feed my breaded dragon are fly laver, crickets, superworms, wax worms, all different types of veg and fruits. I also feed ours baby food. He gets fresh food every single day. Also a timer is great to have so you know your dragon is getting enough heating hours during the day. At night my tank goes off besides the heating pad which stays on 24/7. Good luck, I wish you guys the best. I hope you take him to the vet he could even have mbd. Sometimes it's hard to see the signs before it's to late. My vet bill was 160.
Thank you for the information!!! I may need to take him. Right now, I have him in warm water trying to get him to poop

Heather Petro

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds like brumation to me. I would stop trying to feel him. After his next poop, shut down his lights and cover most of his cage with a towel or blanket. We live in New Hampshire and our beardie brumated Nov - March

Jewelie952

Bearded Dragon Egg
150 Watt is way too high!! Get a 100 watt clear zoomed basking bulb and u have not answered the question about UVB!!! It seems as tho u are very laxed in caring for this reptile!! Do u have a Reptisun 10.0 T5??? 70 percent coverage long of the tank???? Yesor no?? Also u have not been feeding him properly he is way too skinny and dying!! Give him UVB 100 watt heat and lots of crickets and Dubia roaches or super worms when he feels like eating!! This is sickening to see
You're making a lot of assumptions about this person. I've seen you on a few threads on here and you are consistently grossly inappropriate and aggressive. He is asking a question about his animal because he obviously cares. There is no need to attack this person who is just trying to do right by his animal.

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Sounds like brumation to me. I would stop trying to feel him. After his next poop, shut down his lights and cover most of his cage with a towel or blanket. We live in New Hampshire and our beardie brumated Nov - March
I live in Texas. How will he keep warm if all of his lights are off?

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
You're making a lot of assumptions about this person. I've seen you on a few threads on here and you are consistently grossly inappropriate and aggressive. He is asking a question about his animal because he obviously cares. There is no need to attack this person who is just trying to do right by his animal.
Thank you!! And you are right! My sons dragon does need a lot more care than what he realizes. I'm only trying to learn what to do and how to take care of him