• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice for caring for horribly neglected babies.

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Please keep us updated on mako
He’s about the same: pretty good, but not as strong as a healthy beardie. He shakes while walking, but he stills around pretty often.
He’s eating pretty good and has gained a a little weight.
He has had some sort of stuck shed on his head, but I got it all off!
Unfortunately, the one place where a piece was created an indent right above the mouth curving the lip outward.
F553DD67-FA6D-4331-93C7-E96C4E063ACC.jpeg
7091EF91-3FDE-4839-87DE-EF0280016596.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He’s about the same: pretty good, but not as strong as a healthy beardie. He shakes while walking, but he stills around pretty often.
Unfortunately, the one place where a piece was created an indent right above the mouth curving the lip outward.
View attachment 25981View attachment 25982
Good that he's eating - please don't pull any shed off let it come off itself - pulling it off can cause scale damage and could get infected

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Good that he's eating - please don't pull any shed off let it come off itself - pulling it off can cause scale damage and could get infected
I am aware, but the shed away so old that it turned brown(the area under was white)— I don’t think it wasn’t going to come off itself.

chardust

Bearded Dragon Egg
My mom's coworker got a couple baby Beardies and never gave them any light (heat or uv). We took them, and they look really bad. A vet gave us calcium supplement since we want to try to raise them(0.01 ml everyday twice a day). On top of that, we bought some food (tiny crickets, freeze dried roaches, and duck/sweet potatoe cat food)
Goblin:
View attachment 25891View attachment 25892
I'm worried about his eye since it's always cracked. I think it has something on it which I don't know if I should remove or not. Also, he's in a constant sleeping state. He barely moves. He's very flaccid. I don't know if he'll eat anything without being force fed.
Mako:
View attachment 25893
He is shaking but also gaping and moving around. I haven't tried feeding him, but I have high hopes for him.

My question:
Is there anything I can do for them beyond just feeding them what I have?
What should I do Goblins eye?

Any advice welcomed.
Poor little guy :((( Ive read the other comments which seem to be helpful but I suggest that you give him a lot of opportunity to sleep, bask, and eat. The little guys are always usually resilient and I have all the hope in my heart that he will be better within a few weeks! Post updates if you can! <3 best of luck, sending love to you guys

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My mom's coworker got a couple baby Beardies and never gave them any light (heat or uv). We took them, and they look really bad. A vet gave us calcium supplement since we want to try to raise them(0.01 ml everyday twice a day). On top of that, we bought some food (tiny crickets, freeze dried roaches, and duck/sweet potatoe cat food)
Goblin:
I'm worried about his eye since it's always cracked. I think it has something on it which I don't know if I should remove or not. Also, he's in a constant sleeping state. He barely moves. He's very flaccid. I don't know if he'll eat anything without being force fed.
Mako:
View attachment 25893
He is shaking but also gaping and moving around. I haven't tried feeding him, but I have high hopes for him.

My question:

Any advice welcomed.
Hi; 1st of all get a zoomed heat lamp 75watt to 100watt and get a reptisun 10.0 T5 ( for UVB) long tubular bulb the length should cover 70percetn of the tank!! Never ever use coiled or colored bulbs!! Buy now what u can and u can return it later order the Reptisun from Amazon ASAP!! They need to be housed in different tanks within the next month or so; they cannot be housed in the same tank. They need UVb & Heat asap 10-12 hours on in the winter and 12-14 on in the summer and the temp be 105-110 as they get to 9mnyhs or so the temp can be 95-100. DONOT feed dried bottled food ever!! Only crickets and Dubia roaches 4-5 feedings per day small
Crickets like 20-30 per feeding u can feed them out of a big ziplock back so the crickets don’t run around the tank and sprinkle calcium powder once per day 5times a week and herptivite vitamin powder once per day on the non calcium days!! Also a plate of veggies/greens diced up so they be an eat them everyday/twice a day a fresh plate the best/everyday ones are: mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash( they have lots of calcium), butternut squash, green beans and snap peas and endives are good too. Mix 2-3 veggies/greens per day and place a low water dish next to the food for drinking and shake it around they don’t see still water. As they get older 4mnths or so u feed them medium crickets then eventually larges. Lots of protein now as they are growing when they get to 6mnyhs it’s 3feedgins per day!! But they cannot eat unles they have uvb and heat and the last feeding they need 2hours to digest under the lamps!!! Good luck also find a vet they need calcium shots too!! Also baths in Luke warm water means a sliver above cold not too warm or they will squirm in dechlorinated water; buy Reptisafe if u don’t have filtered water; they need to soak 2 times per week for 15min minimum then dry them with a Soft cloth/towel and place them under the heat lamp, when shedding give nite baths it helps the shed fall off; never pull it off.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi; 1st of all get a zoomed heat lamp 75watt to 100watt and get a reptisun 10.0 T5 ( for UVB) long tubular bulb the length should cover 70percetn of the tank!! Never ever use coiled or colored bulbs!! Buy now what u can and u can return it later order the Reptisun from Amazon ASAP!! They need to be housed in different tanks within the next month or so; they cannot be housed in the same tank. They need UVb & Heat asap 10-12 hours on in the winter and 12-14 on in the summer and the temp be 105-110 as they get to 9mnyhs or so the temp can be 95-100. DONOT feed dried bottled food ever!! Only crickets and Dubia roaches 4-5 feedings per day small
Crickets like 20-30 per feeding u can feed them out of a big ziplock back so the crickets don’t run around the tank and sprinkle calcium powder once per day 5times a week and herptivite vitamin powder once per day on the non calcium days!! Also a plate of veggies/greens diced up so they be an eat them everyday/twice a day a fresh plate the best/everyday ones are: mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash( they have lots of calcium), butternut squash, green beans and snap peas and endives are good too. Mix 2-3 veggies/greens per day and place a low water dish next to the food for drinking and shake it around they don’t see still water. As they get older 4mnths or so u feed them medium crickets then eventually larges. Lots of protein now as they are growing when they get to 6mnyhs it’s 3feedgins per day!! But they cannot eat unles they have uvb and heat and the last feeding they need 2hoits to digest under the lamps!!! Good luck also find a vet they need calcium shots too!!
The advice is good but one of them is dead dude. And the other one is doing good. The advice is good but she’s got everything she needs know

chardust

Bearded Dragon Egg
View attachment 25981View attachment 25982 he’s the cutest little guy I’ve seen, I have no doubt he’ll grow into a strong handsome little dude :)

Sheri Elaine

Bearded Dragon Egg
Goblin:
Mako:
View attachment 25893

My question:

Any advice welcomed.
Have you tried syringe feeding. I used emeraid for rehab my beardie who wouldn’t eat. You can buy reptiboost too

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please post a pic of goblins eye-- make sure your hydrating him offer water on his nose see if he will lick he maybe to weak to eat you may haft to force feed w/ syringe- water it down he will get hydration from that feed very slow you don't want him to aspirate-
See if you can get some omnivore emergency care powdered supplement to syringe feed Goblin. Should ne able to het it on Amazon, (carnivore care is ok too,) as that will give him complete nutrition while he eats it, until he can consume bugs and veggies more readily. Best of luck with them!

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
See if you can get some omnivore emergency care powdered supplement to syringe feed Goblin. Should ne able to het it on Amazon, (carnivore care is ok too,) as that will give him complete nutrition while he eats it, until he can consume bugs and veggies more readily. Best of luck with them!
Goblin passed away a few days ago :(

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Updates PLEASE!! Lol
There isn’t too much to update on: Mako is doing well- not as much of an eater as day 1, but he he still licks whatever I put on his mouth.
He likes to walk around, but I think the MBD has given him joints that dont do well for walking-his ankles are kinda flat and don’t bend well. I intend on getting something for him to try to roll around on, but it’s difficult for his size. (I want some sort of finger skateboard or something in the hopes that he walk more if it’s easier and he’s build up muscles for walking) I think he’s shaking less.
He hasn’t grown much yet (maybe a gram or two), but I got the oxbow critical care yesterday (I had to order it online) and mixed it as 80%carnivore and 20% herbivore.

Attachments

• A6FF0A57-219B-4075-A7AD-CEF5AE77C7B4.jpeg
    A6FF0A57-219B-4075-A7AD-CEF5AE77C7B4.jpeg
    732.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20E7FDCC-A3D5-4B78-B887-1561296DCAE0.jpeg
    20E7FDCC-A3D5-4B78-B887-1561296DCAE0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
There isn’t too much to update on: Mako is doing well- not as much of an eater as day 1, but he he still licks whatever I put on his mouth.
He likes to walk around, but I think the MBD has given him joints that dont do well for walking-his ankles are kinda flat and don’t bend well. I intend on getting something for him to try to roll around on, but it’s difficult for his size. (I want some sort of finger skateboard or something in the hopes that he walk more if it’s easier and he’s build up muscles for walking) I think he’s shaking less.
He hasn’t grown much yet (maybe a gram or two), but I got the oxbow critical care yesterday (I had to order it online) and mixed it as 80%carnivore and 20% herbivore.
sounds like he is doing a lot better

Earls MUM

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Those poor babies and Goblin is just breaking my heart. I really hope that he pulls through and as long as he's getting something in his belly thats good to hear, once he gets some more energy hopefully he gets to eat on his own. Maybe try to give him some organic butternut squash baby food with either some liquid or powdered calcium in it to help stop the mbd from spreading anymore. Please do keep us updated, I hope both these little guys pull through and get better :(
I wouldnt give them cat food. Hoping you get them back to full health as they are beautiful dragons

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
so glad mako is doing better and truly you just have to give him some time and for him to gain some more muscle in his legs. When you think he’s strong enough you can try and give him some black soldier fly large or even give him some crickets. There have been many beardies that weren’t able to use their legs at all and next thing you know they’re running circles around you. What you can try and do is stretch out his legs every once in a while so extend them and bend them continuously. This helps with blood flow and can help strengthen his muscle. I do this all the time with my 11 year old and it helped my foster beardie help walk again too. Another great physical therapy them is giving them large baths where they hopefully start to move around or start swimming. Here’s a picture of my little Prometheus when I first got him to what he looks like now. He wasn’t able to use his front legs at all when I got him and just kept them close to his body. Now he loves running around the floor and can hold himself up (and he has such a chunky belly ). It just takes time and love which he is getting plenty of both

Attachments

• D012BB7B-103A-4BD6-B104-58248CFE89B9.jpeg
    D012BB7B-103A-4BD6-B104-58248CFE89B9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • A905DEB0-83DA-4AA6-8335-5DF24A77B713.jpeg
    A905DEB0-83DA-4AA6-8335-5DF24A77B713.jpeg
    988.5 KB · Views: 13

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
I just read that the black soldier fly larva can reverse MBD & treat coccidia.
Mulberryfarms.com 1000 for $24.99 sale with free shipping
Keep them somewhere 50 degrees & they last forever. I've had mine since November & all still alive. I add used wet coffee grounds when the substrate gets low & keep them slightly moist at all times.
Keeping in a cooler with reusable ice packs not touching them but on opposite side keeps them at a good temp. (Some say you can keep in fridge while others says it kills them)