• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice for caring for horribly neglected babies.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I hate to say it, but we’ve fed them a good bit in the past couple of days. They pooped for the first time since we got them (which is great!), but I think we’ll wait until they poop again to feed them again.
Also, Goblins eye gunk is out! Hes not opening his eyes often though...
View attachment 25926
I’m unsure, but I think Mako is shaking less.
View attachment 25927
They still look weak but like they are doing a lot stronger

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I hate to say it, but we’ve fed them a good bit in the past couple of days. They pooped for the first time since we got them (which is great!), but I think we’ll wait until they poop again to feed them again.
Also, Goblins eye gunk is out! Hes not opening his eyes often though...
View attachment 25926
I’m unsure, but I think Mako is shaking less.
View attachment 25927
Please keep feeding them slowly -- do not quit feeding them - the small amounts you need to keep feeding - if they are going poop that is great -- but you must keep up w/ the nutrition - also the hydration -- Goblin is more weak so he needs to be fed routinely -- he needs the food for strength -- is he getting plenty of UVB and the temps for basking?

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sadies right they should be fed at least 3 times a day no matter how small the amount is. And that’s alright if they are still looking good that means their organs aren’t shocked. They probably won’t be pooping much because they are still being fed baby food and they’re bellies aren’t being filled up with it every time. Best thing to do is daily baths to hydrate and promote bowl movements and feed them that critical care or baby food at least 3 times a day. Again slowly increasing the quantity especially with goblin. Maybe even feed him 4 times a day if he is up for it

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Please keep feeding them slowly -- do not quit feeding them - the small amounts you need to keep feeding - if they are going poop that is great -- but you must keep up w/ the nutrition - also the hydration -- Goblin is more weak so he needs to be fed routinely -- he needs the food for strength -- is he getting plenty of UVB and the temps for basking?
Ok, I will try to feed them a bit of baby food every few hours(of course, I also will give them plain water).
The basking area has UVB and correct temps. Fairly often, they climb away from the basking area though, but I try to put them back (not right under though in case that makes them hotter than they can handle).

I have a couple of questions:
Is it possible the jaws will stiffen up as they get enough calcium? Or will the jaws stay "rubber?"
Also, Goblin's jaw isn't on straight.
IMG_20210219_200048918.jpg

Is there some way, with tape or bending paperclips, that I can make a brace to align it with his skull?
Sadies right they should be fed at least 3 times a day no matter how small the amount is. And that’s alright if they are still looking good that means their organs aren’t shocked. They probably won’t be pooping much because they are still being fed baby food and they’re bellies aren’t being filled up with it every time. Best thing to do is daily baths to hydrate and promote bowl movements and feed them that critical care or baby food at least 3 times a day. Again slowly increasing the quantity especially with goblin. Maybe even feed him 4 times a day if he is up for it
How do you think I should feed them per sitting? As much as they can eat?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, I will try to feed them a bit of baby food every few hours(of course, I also will give them plain water).
The basking area has UVB and correct temps. Fairly often, they climb away from the basking area though, but I try to put them back (not right under though in case that makes them hotter than they can handle).

I have a couple of questions:
Is it possible the jaws will stiffen up as they get enough calcium? Or will the jaws stay "rubber?"
Also, Goblin's jaw isn't on straight.
View attachment 25929
Is there some way, with tape or bending paperclips, that I can make a brace to align it with his skull?

How do you think I should feed them per sitting? As much as they can eat?
No feed them like 1 ML at a time- 3 times per day- if they are actually drinking from the bath then bathe them they will get hydration w/ the watered down food -- also keep adding a pinch of calcium to the food - watch the poops if they are formed dark and moist and urate is white formed and moist they are hydrated any chalky looking dried out they are dehydrated -- no taping or paper clips -- w/ him growing it may straighten out but I am not a vet --- I can ask a vet tech I know about that -- I have emailed her --- lets see what she says about the MBD issue

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
I have bad news: Goblin passed.
I fed him about two hours ago, and he was breathing weird when I finished feeding him. Looking back, I think he had trouble eating and breathing at the same time.
Mako is still doing good. With the critical care, I feel very strongly he’ll do well. Thank you all for the help and support, I’ll keep you updated on Mako.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I fed him about two hours ago, and he was breathing weird when I finished feeding him. Looking back, I think he had trouble eating and breathing at the same time.
Mako is still doing good. With the critical care, I feel very strongly he’ll do well. Thank you all for the help and support, I’ll keep you updated on Mako.
I’m so sorry to hear this. Poor goblin, I was really hoping he’d make it. At least he’s no longer suffering and in a better place. He earned his wings tonight and he’ll be flying high, happy and in peace. RIP

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow -- here I thought he had made the hump and was going to make it -----------I am so sorry - he was too far gone to be saved and that happens -- this is heartbreaking -- :(
You do everything that you can. Thank you for taking great care while he was alive. Thanks you so much for your care you did so well and everything that you can

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Update: We had him out, and Mako was moving his head to noises. He was probably anxious since he gaped, but baby steps. For the first time, Mako licked something inside the tank.
Also, the tail was just dangling for the first three days, but Mako's beginning to use his tail!
20210220_115648.jpg
20210220_115357.jpg

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Update: We had him out, and Mako was moving his head to noises. He was probably anxious since he gaped, but baby steps. For the first time, Mako licked something inside the tank.
Also, the tail was just dangling for the first three days, but Mako's beginning to use his tail!
View attachment 25948View attachment 25949
That SOOO AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 25948View attachment 25949
Color looks really good - if he's gaping he's adjusting his body temp and that is good :)

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I’m going to create a page for goblin. We all cared for him while he was alive and he tried so hard
Thank you for all the likes and support on the goblin page.