• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice for caring for horribly neglected babies.

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
I just read that the black soldier fly larva can reverse MBD & treat coccidia.
Mulberryfarms.com 1000 for $24.99 sale with free shipping
Keep them somewhere 50 degrees & they last forever. I've had mine since November & all still alive. I add used wet coffee grounds when the substrate gets low & keep them slightly moist at all times.
Keeping in a cooler with reusable ice packs not touching them but on opposite side keeps them at a good temp. (Some say you can keep in fridge while others says it kills them)
I’ll look at that! Thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keep them somewhere 50 degrees & they last forever. I've had mine since November & all still alive. I add used wet coffee grounds when the substrate gets low & keep them slightly moist at all times.
Keeping in a cooler with reusable ice packs not touching them but on opposite side keeps them at a good temp. (Some say you can keep in fridge while others says it kills them)
That is false information --- MBD cannot be reversed but it can be stopped w/ correct UVB tubes NO coils -- and no it cannot treat coccidia either --- keeping them in the fridge on the door is correct

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
That is false information --- MBD cannot be reversed but it can be stopped w/ correct UVB tubes NO coils -- and no it cannot treat coccidia either --- keeping them in the fridge on the door is correct
Well I read that on the Mulberryfarms.com
They have bred them for years so I believe them. Head on over there, argue your case with them then come back & let us know how it went ‍♂️

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
Reverse MBD?? thats weird

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Reverse MBD?? thats weird
This is what I read...

*Compare our Black Soldier Fly Larvae to ReptiwormsTM and Phoenix Worms® -- Black Soldier Fly larvae sold under a different brand name.

WHY BOTH YOU AND YOUR PET WILL LOVE BLACK SOLDIER FLY LARVAE ("BSFL"):

Ready to serve, with no need to dust or gut load before feeding to your pet.
Naturally nutritious, high in calcium, low in fat.
Approximately 20 - 60 times more calcium than other commonly fed feeder insects.
Ideal 1.5:1 Calcium:phosphorus ratio.
Contain high amounts of lauric acid which helps battle diseases such as Coccidia.
No need to culture them.
No need to feed them.
Stay fresh in their cup for two-three weeks at room temperature (see below for extended storage instructions).**
Do not make noise.
Have no odor.
Will stay in a jar lid--no escapees!
Wiggle intensely, which will excite and entice your pet.
Herps readily consume and relish them.
Will stimulate the appetite of animals that do not readily feed -- great for picky eaters!
Sized to satisfy most pets, including dart frogs, geckos, bearded dragons, chameleons, turtles, birds and more.
The superior nutrition of BSFL is great for hatchlings, helps gravid females or those who have just laid, and may halt or even reverse metabolic bone disease.
BSFL are perfect for the person looking for an alternative to crickets, superworms, mealworms and waxworms.
**DO NOT REFRIGERATE YOUR BSFL as normal refrigerators are too cold and can cause them to die. You can store your BSFL for several months if you keep them at 50-60 degrees F. When ready to feed, simply take out the amount of worms you want to feed and bring them to room temperature before feeding ... BSFL become more active as they warm up and even more appealing to your pet!

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
MBD is not a reversible disseze. It can only be slowed it can not be treated. (Not trying to be rude)

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
You can argue your case to Mulberryfarms where I read it. I don't know where they got their info from? I'd like to know for sure tho!
Here is what I found...
Treatment and Prognosis
Fortunately, if detected early enough, MBD can often be corrected and reversed through making changes and improvements to the husbandry of the animal by providing the needed or adequate levels of UV-A and UV-B lighting and heating, proper supplementation, and other nutrients.
1614280476774.png

www.madisonherps.org › kickstart

The Must Knows of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) - Madison Area ...

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Its not that it can be fully reversed so for instance Prometheus will always have an uneven jaw wonky tail and have bent legs but with help from the vet and giving him calcium rich feeders it has helped straighten his front legs a little where it’s now easier to walk on them. Where as before he just kept his arms very close to his body and could barely move them. But that is how far the mbd will reverse. Same with my Cleo’s special paw it will always be split in the middle like that and that will never change.

Attachments

• EBE840E4-6C23-4CB3-AC38-2E77BA2A1854.jpeg
    EBE840E4-6C23-4CB3-AC38-2E77BA2A1854.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Update: Mako has finally begin to use his stress marks. For the first 10 days, I don't think he was able to use them, but he can now and does when he's cold.
Also, Mako ate his first veggies! Mako can't chew it yet (which I learned the hard way - watching him try his best to chew something), but I gave him smaller pieces of collard greens that he didn't need to chew.
Mako is also moving around much more, too! I've taken him out, and he walks around in spurts of energy, and he walks around his cage well in spite of his joints (and MBD)

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_152422561_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210228_152422561_HDR.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 14

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
Update: Mako has finally begin to use his stress marks. For the first 10 days, I don't think he was able to use them, but he can now and does when he's cold.
Also, Mako ate his first veggies! Mako can't chew it yet (which I learned the hard way - watching him try his best to chew something), but I gave him smaller pieces of collard greens that he didn't need to chew.
Mako is also moving around much more, too! I've taken him out, and he walks around in spurts of energy, and he walks around his cage well in spite of his joints (and MBD)
Wow! He looks so much better! You are so amazing! Bless your heart and Mako's

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My vet refered coccidia as a parasite not a disease and was treated w/ medication like albon and ponzural -

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think they are referring to maybe preventing coccidia as it can be caused by crickets - not sure about dubias -- and coccidia is not a disease but a parasite -- and crickets can cause parasites -- this is what is posted on the website battle diseases such as Coccidia. So if you feed mainly BSFL your dragon is not going to get coccidia is to how I am taking it -- I guess it depends on how you read it but that is my input --

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Omg yes he’s doing great

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
My vet refered coccidia as a parasite not a disease and was treated w/ medication like albon and ponzural -
Coccidia is definitely parasite & yeah, I'm wondering how it could treat it. Possibly they mean it helps prevent an animal from getting since these keep the immune system strong. I really don't know but the site is reputable so when reading, I kind of took note. Had a puppy years ago that had coccidia & was told it could be picked up by the breeder not keeping the environment clean or eating a dead animal & I had to give meds. Can't remember what the meds were though?

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Coccidia is definitely parasite & yeah, I'm wondering how it could treat it. Possibly they mean it helps prevent an animal from getting since these keep the immune system strong. I really don't know but the site is reputable so when reading, I kind of took note. Had a puppy years ago that had coccidia & was told it could be picked up by the breeder not keeping the environment clean or eating a dead animal & I had to give meds. Can't remember what the meds were though?
If the insects treated coccidia, they wouldn't be good. Parasite medications are supposed to be strong enough to kill things living inside of you and off of your nutrients but weak enough to not kill you, so anything that would naturally treat parasites would not be healthy because its basically specialized poison. (Though, I don't know. I'm no expert on medicine or diseases)
Of course, providers can sell things claimiall kinds of magical things with little repercussions because there's practically way the consumer can really prove its not helping, and it sounds better if the provider says it does.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If the insects treated coccidia, they wouldn't be good. Parasite medications are supposed to be strong enough to kill things living inside of you and off of your nutrients but weak enough to not kill you, so anything that would naturally treat parasites would not be healthy because its basically specialized poison. (Though, I don't know. I'm no expert on medicine or diseases)
Of course, providers can sell things claimiall kinds of magical things with little repercussions because there's practically way the consumer can really prove its not helping, and it sounds better if the provider says it does.