• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Welcome to BeardedDragonForum.com!

dallin

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
0404111943.jpg

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is young how much red does he have looks like a tiger

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Im gonna post a pic of my setup and my thermometer broke so i need to go buy a new one any suggestions the UVB bulb im using is the original one that comes in it so is that a bad thing i have only had it since december.

Hi Dalin

What is the UV output of the bulb that was in the fixture?

Dragons need UV of 10 or higher. Most of the Desert Bulbs in Norht America are only availible in a max of UV 10 but some in Europe (Arcadia Bulb) come as high as 12.

Fliehigh

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I can have 150 plus baby dragons at any given time and many of them sleep under there hides allot they do have to have a 100 plus basking spot but they all should no matter what the age they will self-regulate and move away when they are to hot .

I appologize if I misrepresented what I was trying to say:

If a dragon does not have high enough temps a couple of things happen:

1) their digestion is affected and it slows, which then can possible turn into impaction issues and them not wanting to eat.
2) Due to the lack of digestion they be lethargic and want to sleep, this mixed with dark locations for them to hide makes a dragon sleep more than usual

You are correct, a dragon will self regulate, as long as their environment alows them to, by moving to the cool side of the tank and/or by huffing (breathing with their mouth open).

dalin stated eralier in a post that the dragon wasn't active and was acting lethargic, this is why I suggested what I did.

Fliehigh

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
and i feed him crickets but i ran out so im feeding him mealworms and kale he is 4 and a half months old now so its ok to feed him mealworms right?

Hi Dalin

Mealworms really are not a good feeder for beardies.

They are low in calciul, very high is phosphorus and have a very hard chitlin Shell that is difficult for the dragon to digest.

Please look at the link below for recommended feeders and salad options.

Also be very careful with Superworms as the beardies intestine is kinked until they reach the head to tail tip lenght of 16". Feeding Supers befor they are long enough can cause impaction issues.

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

dallin

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok thanks my baby is active now hes been basking alot and i dont feed him supers dont worry its for my adult and she rarely gets them and im not sure how to determine the output of the uv

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok thanks my baby is active now hes been basking alot and i dont feed him supers dont worry its for my adult and she rarely gets them and im not sure how to determine the output of the uv

What was your bulb rated at when you got it? And if supers where so bad all my Dragons would be dead .Feed size Accordingly don’t feed babies supers unless you can get the real tiny ones I breed my own so I have an endless supply of them .Continue to read do web searches and learn what everyone is using remember this is only my opinion .

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
And if supers where so bad all my Dragons would be dead .

I am not trying discredit what are saying and this will be the last time I post on the this subject, but with the intestinal kink that every dragon has until they are 16 inches in length, feed them supers becomes an added risk to young dragons I personally would not try. As you state this is only My opinion.

I am glad none of your dragons have had issues with the superworms, but knowing Dragon anatomy and the fact that supers can be very hard for some dragons to digest, why take the risk.

Here is an excert from the following care sheet http://beardeddragoncaresheet.weebly.com/feeding-and-watering.html

Superworms
Superworms should only be fed to Bearded Dragons 16 inches in length from snout to tip of tail. Before then they may cause impaction. You should also only feed your pet a few superworms in a sitting. There are instances of Bearded Dragons throwing them back up if they gorge themselves on these. When you begin feeding, only give one or two a day and watch the stool carefully to make sure they are being fully digested before you increase the number. Superworms do cause impaction in some dragons, so you need to be attentive when you start them on this feeder. Superworms are extremely easy to keep, they last for a long time, and they are cheap. The pupae and beetle can be fed as well, but its best if the beetle is just a treat. Superworms will bite (you). All Superworms need as far as care goes is to stay in the containers you buy them in, and to have a piece or two of potato added daily. Make sure you take out the old potatoes to prevent mold.

You are correct that you need to only feed insects properly sized for your dragon, but until they are 16 inches in length you should also be aware of insects thaat are harder to digest.

Also just so you know I feed my 20" dragon Supers and I also breed my own as well as Dubia.

I am just trying to help as well

Fliehigh

dallin

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hey i have a problem my bearded dragon tries to attack me every time i reach to grab him in his cage what do i do?

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
pick him up and hold him do it every day he will calm down and welcome to the Forum

dallin

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ya its a little hard to get him out of his cage he bites the crap out of me if i even get near him i dont know what his problem is but thanks ill try that

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
welcome dallin! it'll take patience on both your parts but with persistence, he'll be used to you in no time!

Jonell Williams

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello,
I am new here an thought I would introduce my self. I am Jonell an my husband an I have 2 beardies, 2 dogs an 4 kids. We are always looking for new additions because my husband loves bearded dragons.. There is are oldest dragon Skittles last year at a year an a half old

Attachments

• 9019_155862349362_512619362_3546360_8285595_n.jpg
    9019_155862349362_512619362_3546360_8285595_n.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 9019_155862399362_512619362_3546363_4510151_n.jpg
    9019_155862399362_512619362_3546363_4510151_n.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 60

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome to the forum great looking Dragons