• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member and new Beardie

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So glad to hear her appointment went well. I learned the hard way when dealing with reptiles good vets are few and far between so hold on to him lol. Sending good healing vibes her way. she's a very strong little girl so I'm sure she's going to be just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ruth's vet appt went well. I'm going to slowly reduce her photo period. She's in pretty good shape for laying 3 clutches of slugs in 3 months and I was told that I've done a good job.

The vet was very knowledgeable and gave me a mazuri gel formula to add to her salad. I'll get more info on it to share with all of you so that you can implement it into your dragons diet as well, if you would like to. I was very unsure at first, until he gave me the nutritional breakdown of her current diet, versus the nutrition provided by supplementing the gel. You just add it to their salad and it gives them a multitude of nutrients that they wouldn't otherwise have. The nutrients are derived from natural resources too, so it's not a highly processed empty formula. It's actually rather brilliant.

She goes in for surgery on November 22nd. I'll be sending stool samples out to Helena at doctor dragons to make sure she's clear of parasites before her surgery and that all issues are addressed.

I feel really good about this vet. He's personally kept a plethora of reptiles from iguanas, to amazon tree boas, Leopard geckos, monitors, he's kept them all. I finally found a good vet! I feel like I should have taken notes on all of the information he gave me. He even gave me pointers on some of the other rescues to help get them on the straight and narrow. Fantastic guy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That's awesome news!!! On one hand too bad surgery isn't until Nov 22nd but on the other hand hopefully you can get her back up weight wise for surgery.. Hope she doesn't have another clutch before then... fingers crossed. Mazuri is pretty good, I use Repashy superveggie food powder in my slurries for Izzy.. Glad to hear that you feel comfortable with the vet and that he's got reptile experience.. sometimes on visits like that I take a voice recorder as my memory sucks..
Way to go!!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm overdue for an update on Ruth. It looks like she's finished laying slugs for this year, thank goodness! She's finally packing on a little weight and has been quite active and content, aside from all of her shedding lately.

She was guarding her greens the other day :)
9455a0b6db9bcbb5611638686452ab65.jpg

Shes also been using her legs more and is doing well getting around and climbing.
a1929259c4db8d4cae670d41f5c0bb34.jpg

7832aed696e5a5dc027071c806367d95.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awe this makes me soo happy to hear that she is doing better!!!! Fingers crossed that she's done for the year and putting on some weight.... She's looking great! Love the "that's my salad look"

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She looks great! So glad she is doing well :)

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Me too, because I never figured out a really good design lol now I just have to make handicapped accessible furniture, and that I can do!

The little goofball stared at me earlier today and blackened her beard. She wouldn't stop until I gave her cuddles and attention. She's so darned spoiled.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth's surgery is quickly approaching. I'm worried sick about it. I know it will probably go through without a hitch, but I've been stricken with the "what ifs". Ugh.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I can only imagine how you feel. I would be the same way. She has been through a lot and over came a ton. You've made the call based on your best judgment and with the input of professionals. All you can do is reassure yourself that it's for the best and that she will be in the hands of train professionals. She's a tough girl she's already proven that :)
All of us here will be cheering her on.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks RaeAnn. I know she needs the surgery. Her constant clutch laying takes a serious toll on her and sets her back in recovery. I just worry that something may happen, and that my choice could cost me my little girl. I know, there are always risks, and I hardly blinked when I got my cat fixed, but this feels different. I'm sure I'm worrying myself into ulcers for no good reason, but I'm good at worrying.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I can completely understand why you would be worried. They really do become like our children so it's hard to not worry.
I feel really optimistic about Ruth's situation. She's such a strong little lady I know she will come out of this stronger than ever :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can understand why your worried and for good reason.. However it's for her best interest health wise so you will be giving her a better easier future... Yes there are risks with this type of surgery on dragon's but she's in good hands... She is a strong critter! she can do it.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
You and Ruth are in my prayers. When your having tough moments of worry just list off all the reasons why you made the decision to begin with. Your a great dragon mom hang in there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks everyone, you're the best. You'll be the first to know when she comes out of surgery. I'm sure you're all right, and she'll be okay. The vet has done these surgeries before. It'll be done and she'll be back at home before I know it.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth has been dropped off with the vet. He said that complications were unlikely, about the same risk as a cat or a dog would face, and that bearded dragons are incredibly tough creatures. He told me some pretty crazy stories about to bad off dragons that pulled through despite the odds. I feel a little better. I'm looking forward to bringing my baby girl home tonight.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
We all our looking forward to you bringing her home today. I bake on surgery days. I don't even mind if I burn it cuz that's another hour of distraction. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts