• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member and new Beardie

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I put a dab on the back of the dubia. She doesn't even know she's being drugged lol. I'll have to get my hands on the powder.

I always read that beardies don't drink from standing water, but the night I brought her home I tried for the heck of it, and she drank! Like a fiend! She doesn't drink often, but when she does, she's like a waterholic. Mushu only licks drops off of his basking tree.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I put a dab on the back of the dubia. She doesn't even know she's being drugged lol. I'll have to get my hands on the powder.

I always read that beardies don't drink from standing water, but the night I brought her home I tried for the heck of it, and she drank! Like a fiend! She doesn't drink often, but when she does, she's like a waterholic. Mushu only licks drops off of his basking tree.

Omg now I feel stupid! I never thought to put the bene bac on the dubia's! Duh…… lmao

That is so amazing that Ruth drinks likes that. Doesn't it make your heart all warm and fuzzy when you see things like that?

I think most of them do not drink from standing water. Mushu sounds just like mine!
It looks like you are doing an amazing job with Ruth. She looks good in that picture.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She's definitely doing better. With any luck she's done laying slugs and I can get her to the vet for blood work and eventually to get fixed. I don't like invasive surgeries on reptiles, but it's necessary in her case with MBD.

I find it very convenient that she drinks out of a bowl. I think it's precious and makes keeping her hydrated so much easier. If i drop water on her nose and she licks it off I know she'll go for a drink. Mushu gets his tree sprayed multiple times a day and a bath almost daily and I still feel like he could use more water.

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
If the kind you are using isn't working, RaeAnn and I use acidophiliz from beautifuldragons.com. We use a dropper (which comes with it) and let it drip on the dubias backs. You can also get this in powder form and dust your feeders. It is working well with Spyra I'm assuming, either that or she is just very tough, because we are battling parasites and you wouldn't even know it with the way she acts. She just had her second dose of panacur today. One more then hopefully back to normal. I'm glad your baby is doing better.
36e748cffe88993546bb57d59957f00b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Maddie- Wow, that's impressive. The meds hit Ruth hardcore, even with the probiotic. Do you think the liquid works better, or is more convenient than the powder? I want to get the best so that I can get Ruth's digestive tract back up to par.

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
I have never tried the powder but I would imagine it would be more convenient. They happened to be out of stock when we ordered or we would have chosen that. Best of luck to you and your baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Benebac powder or gel? I have the reptile and bird gel but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. She isn't digesting her food all the way at times.
If you are seeing lots of undigested food that means your temps are not right or she isn't spending enough time under the basking bulbs..

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'll double check her temps with the infrared gun. I'll pick up a higher wattage bulb as soon as I can. It's good to have a warmer bulb on hand anyway, with winter coming up. It was only once that I saw undigested food, but I'd like to keep it at only once.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'll double check her temps with the infrared gun. I'll pick up a higher wattage bulb as soon as I can. It's good to have a warmer bulb on hand anyway, with winter coming up. It was only once that I saw undigested food, but I'd like to keep it at only once.

I saw undigested food a few months back even after Wally baked for HOURS at the right temps. His problem was he ate TOO many superworms! Hdrydr31 helped me with that and got him back on dubia's and BSFL's instead of all supers. He does still get supers but I limit it to 3 a day. I just think he over ate.

Do you think that could have been your problem that ONE time??? Just a thought!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I saw undigested food a few months back even after Wally baked for HOURS at the right temps. His problem was he ate TOO many superworms! Hdrydr31 helped me with that and got him back on dubia's and BSFL's instead of all supers. He does still get supers but I limit it to 3 a day. I just think he over ate.

Do you think that could have been your problem that ONE time??? Just a thought!
It was mostly vegetable matter from her salad. I don't recall if I gave her dubias around the time that it happened, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Her basking spot just read 90 degrees, so I'm going to buy a warmer bulb and see if I can get that up a bit.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It was mostly vegetable matter from her salad. I don't recall if I gave her dubias around the time that it happened, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Her basking spot just read 90 degrees, so I'm going to buy a warmer bulb and see if I can get that up a bit.

Eavlynn - Ruth is an older beardie, right? Do you know how old? I'm asking cuz you said you were going to get a higher watt bulb. If you are at 90 now could you lower the lamp? She doesn't need to be too much warmer if she is an adult. 95-100 is good for an adult.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She's an adult, but I have no idea her exact age. I didnt get any information on her background when she came into my care. I believe she's young, maybe 1 to 3? Or she's just a smaller adult due to the previous neglect.

The lamp is screwed into the ceiling of her enclosure. I'm going to make the smallest jump up that I can in wattage and see what that does. I'd prefer not to go over 98 degrees, if possible.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth has a new light and a new basking platform that she loves. It's easier for her to get up onto, and big enough for her to bask comfortably. She has also started using her rear legs more, and keeps them in a natural position more often than she used to. Today, she decided to stand in her playpen and peek over the side to see what was going on. She's doing great, and her activity level has increased since putting a new basking bulb in as well :)

87df731a59b3347c42198f1f3f78e2cf.jpg

'What are you looking at?'
55f2ce3d3b9740effdf251d030f94ad5.jpg

Shes too precious :)
f1e4069dddfdaa170d1acb2770c5473b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth has a new light and a new basking platform that she loves. It's easier for her to get up onto, and big enough for her to bask comfortably. She has also started using her rear legs more, and keeps them in a natural position more often than she used to. Today, she decided to stand in her playpen and peek over the side to see what was going on. She's doing great, and her activity level has increased since putting a new basking bulb in as well :)

87df731a59b3347c42198f1f3f78e2cf.jpg

'What are you looking at?'
55f2ce3d3b9740effdf251d030f94ad5.jpg

Shes too precious :)
f1e4069dddfdaa170d1acb2770c5473b.jpg

I'm so happy to hear her back legs are doing better, that's great!! She looks so much better than when you first got her. You are doing wonders with her. She looks so happy now.

Thank you for sharing her pictures. Glad she likes her new basking bulb!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad to hear that she is making improvements now with good lighting and heating she'll be able to pack on some weight and fill up those fat pads and put some meat on her bones..

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Glad to hear that she is making improvements now with good lighting and heating she'll be able to pack on some weight and fill up those fat pads and put some meat on her bones..
I'm hoping that's the case. She's started digging behavior again. I feel no lumps in her stomach and can't imagine she's full of eggs again. If she lays more slugs this year I might just cry. She's doing so good! She even bends her back legs now! Another clutch would be devastating as she hasn't rebounded from the last one.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mxw0rld: Ruth is 18 inches in total length :) I'll be making some changes to her enclosure soon, and then I'll place an order for her bed and bedding.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mxw0rld: Ruth is 18 inches in total length :) I'll be making some changes to her enclosure soon, and then I'll place an order for her bed and bedding.

Okay, no hurry, I'm not going anywhere. Lol who knows maybe by then I'll have more fabric choices! I will write down Ruth at 18 inches long. Thank you for measuring her.

How is she doing?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay, no hurry, I'm not going anywhere. Lol who knows maybe by then I'll have more fabric choices! I will write down Ruth at 18 inches long. Thank you for measuring her.

How is she doing?
Ruth is doing good. I have a bad feeling that she'll be giving me some more slugs within the week. This time I'm prepared, though. I've been loading her up with extra calcium and dubias along with her daily greens. She's only picked at her salads lately, which she did last time before laying.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth is doing good. I have a bad feeling that she'll be giving me some more slugs within the week. This time I'm prepared, though. I've been loading her up with extra calcium and dubias along with her daily greens. She's only picked at her salads lately, which she did last time before laying.

Oh no! I am so so sorry to hear this. Poor Ruth! My heart goes out to her. She is a trooper, that's for sure. This has to wearing her out especially with the MBD. This will be clutch #3, right? It sounds like you are on top of things and now know the signs. That's good that you notice the difference. [emoji4] You are such a great beardie mommy!!

Thank you for the update on Ruth.

Latest posts