• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member and new Beardie

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth's fecal came back positive for elevated levels of coccidia. We have Albon to treat, probiotics to keep her gut flora from getting annihilated, and chlorhexidine for sanitizing her enclosure.

I thought her lack of appetite was her usual after insect veggie boycot, but it's day 3 and she isn't eating much. I have clear pedialite, veggies and roaches. I'm going to make her nutrient smoothies and syringe feed her to keep her as healthy as I can during treatment. She'll also be getting daily baths for hydration since the Albon is going to deplete her of everything. My poor baby has been through so much, I hope this is the last obstacle she has to overcome.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ruth's fecal came back positive for elevated levels of coccidia. We have Albon to treat, probiotics to keep her gut flora from getting annihilated, and chlorhexidine for sanitizing her enclosure.

I thought her lack of appetite was her usual after insect veggie boycot, but it's day 3 and she isn't eating much. I have clear pedialite, veggies and roaches. I'm going to make her nutrient smoothies and syringe feed her to keep her as healthy as I can during treatment. She'll also be getting daily baths for hydration since the Albon is going to deplete her of everything. My poor baby has been through so much, I hope this is the last obstacle she has to overcome.
Well at least now you know what's going on...and by the sound of your determination you will get her thru this.. I did my syringe feedings when Izzy went on her I'm not going to eat phase during bath time.. most went in her mouth but some goes down her beard so easy clean up :)
You can do this!!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That's a good idea. I didn't even think of feeding during bath time. Something tells me she is going to put up a bit of a fight. Bath time tends to freak her out, so I may try wrapping her in a towel and see how that goes.

I didn't know how intensive her care would be for parasites, or just how rough they can be on her. Some hardcore TLC and she should be back on track. I suspect she's had coccidia since I got her, and even so, she's improved in major ways. I look forward to seeing how she does when she's feeling 100%.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's a good idea. I didn't even think of feeding during bath time. Something tells me she is going to put up a bit of a fight. Bath time tends to freak her out, so I may try wrapping her in a towel and see how that goes.

I didn't know how intensive her care would be for parasites, or just how rough they can be on her. Some hardcore TLC and she should be back on track. I suspect she's had coccidia since I got her, and even so, she's improved in major ways. I look forward to seeing how she does when she's feeling 100%.
have you tried putting a small rag in there for some traction? With Izzy she likes when I have my hand in there with her sometimes.. she will put her front feet and chest on my hand :) test it with different temps of water I find Izzy prefers her water to the point where I think wow that's hot she will pancake and relax lol the water turns my hand slightly pink...
Lots of love is right you 2 can do this..

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If I support her front half, she'll tolerate bath time. But if I attempt to remove my hand, she flips. I've noticed she's okay if I keep the water super shallow, and sometimes feels comfortable enough to leave my hand. She likes the water around 95F. She doesn't seem to be fond of heat at all, during bath time, in her enclosure, or outside. She's older though, so it makes sense that she'd like things a tad cooler. I'm curious to see if her dislikes change at all after her treatment. Maybe heat makes her feel icky. If only they could speak!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth seems to be doing well. The Albon treatment is finished. It decimated her appetite, which I expected. I switched to organic butternut squash baby food and added some calcium powder to it. I'm hoping it will help her keep her weight up until she gets her appetite back. Now we play the waiting game until I can get a good stool sample for a post treatment test.

Switched to a fiberglass cave hide for sanitation purposes. She likes to bask on it, but has only gone inside once.
095a84532ee402676cb5f8dcf949a081.jpg

No energy lost throughout this ordeal!
620b16ee75c3da83e9a6382cede9bcc1.jpg

After bath cuddles <3
8056cd589a1b3d2ed9ad3b4cfa69830d.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awe sweet thing! The meds just wreak their gut flora, do you have her on probiotics?? if not I would get some to restore her gut. Love the look of her on her cave she's looking like I'd like to order a dubia please...

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I do, she was getting probiotics 3 hours after the Albon while being treated, and I plan to continue the probiotics for a few days if not longer. I ordered the probiotic gel, which she seems to like, but I'd like to get a powdered probiotic to occasionally dust feeders with, just for maintenance purposes in the future.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth ate 6 roaches today! I didn't expect her to start eating so soon, as I've read that other dragons took weeks to bounce back from antibiotics. Definitely no complaints here. Ruthie never ceases to amaze me :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ruth ate 6 roaches today! I didn't expect her to start eating so soon, as I've read that other dragons took weeks to bounce back from antibiotics. Definitely no complaints here. Ruthie never ceases to amaze me :)
That's awesome!! You just never know how they are going to do after meds.. they are soo different than other ones.. lol

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She's munched on a few greens, tried some BSFL's, and eaten some more dubias. Now she's in the process of laying slugs... again. 13 and counting so far. I'm never going to get enough calcium in this girl!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth is doing better. She gave me quite the scare after laying slugs. 24 in total! The day after she had a seizure. She hasn't had one since and is now eating like a pig, is active, and having more normal looking bowel movements. I think we may finally be out of the woods *knock on wood*

After eating 25 dubia dusted in calcium and a few in multivitamins, I took her out for some sunshine and vitamin D. She seems to be gaining strength again and is still bursting with attitude :)

147b9eea4dd4a91d76d4e5c15c81eba6.jpg

0b7a2f4b93ff2ed16e6bcbb7f7bfb718.jpg

She seems so skinny but weighed in at 367g.
98768183973d59568344d25ba1969a36.jpg

5c6bd1e7faa645e7cb021cf3ed6251e8.jpg

My little love bug <3
8ebcfc36efe1b46fad10fe6e1f729d2b.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awe poor Ruth but super glad that she seems to be doing better now.. yep keep up the calcium to replenish her.. She sure does look like a character :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She's like "mom of course I'm skinny, I just laid eggs!" She looks like she has lots of personality!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I feel so bad for her. I finally found a good vet..I think. He's board certified for reptiles and exotics, and has been working with them for 15 or so years. I've been speaking with their office, getting an idea of what all needs done, and what it will cost. They seem very thorough and far more informed than every other office I've visited.

Ruth is full of personality, and I love it! I can't wait to get all of her issues sorted out so she can really start recovering. She'll be running me ragged in no time :)

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth continues to recover! She's slowly putting on weight. I'd like to give her a better probiotic to help her get back on track. Any recommendations?

It doesn't happen often, but every once in a while when I offer Ruth water, she drinks like a fish! Got a photo of her in the act before we went out for some sun. My Mushu won't touch standing water.
944323157f23ee192c180d23b3633e29.jpg

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth continues to recover! She's slowly putting on weight. I'd like to give her a better probiotic to help her get back on track. Any recommendations?

It doesn't happen often, but every once in a while when I offer Ruth water, she drinks like a fish! Got a photo of her in the act before we went out for some sun. My Mushu won't touch standing water.
944323157f23ee192c180d23b3633e29.jpg

I LOVE that picture! That is amazing that she drinks water like that. Neither one of mine will drink water like that.

That is great that Ruth is doing better. I'm so happy for you. As far as probiotic I used the bene bac. I know there is another one out there. It's the one RaeAnn and Maddie use on Spyra. It starts with acid. I'm sorry I can't remember the name.

My Wally did great on the bene bac.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Benebac powder or gel? I have the reptile and bird gel but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. She isn't digesting her food all the way at times.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Benebac powder or gel? I have the reptile and bird gel but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. She isn't digesting her food all the way at times.

I use only the powder. I tried the gel and hated it. I hated it. Lol I couldn't get it in his mouth. Got most of it all over me. It was awful. So I got the powder and it has been the best decision ever.

Latest posts