• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member and new Beardie

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I shred cucumber with a cheese grader over his salads he gobbles it up. He doesn't appreciate when I sneak in some shredded apple. He looks up at me sideways. Try shredded cucumber

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just make sure you peel the skin off and take the seeds out first with the cuc..

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I read that the cucumbers were to be peeled. I'll be sure to deseed them as well. I've also read that squash should be cooked if you decide to give it to them. Is there a reason behind that?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I read that the cucumbers were to be peeled. I'll be sure to deseed them as well. I've also read that squash should be cooked if you decide to give it to them. Is there a reason behind that?
I don't cook any of the squash..I use yellow squash and sometimes acorn but right now they prefer the yellow squash and zucs.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'll have to do some more digging to see if there's any merit to cooking squash.

In other news, we celebrate a victory today! Ruth has eaten her first veggie salad! Collard greens, endive, and yellow squash :) I've noticed she goes for anything white or yellow, so I sprinkled some cooked squash over top of the greens. Cooking worked in my favor, because at first the only items that would stick to her tongue were the greens. After the first bite she stopped and looked at me as though I had committed an act of betrayal. With no crickets in sight, she begrudgingly continued eating. I could have leapt for joy!

Ruthie outside with her evening salad. Apparently carrots don't have the same appeal as squash. She's holding herself up and is quite alert! Her progress in just a few short days is astounding! I couldn't be more proud if I tried [emoji4]
87b9844409145af62e12729e542aff48.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad to hear this news!! In time more and more greens, veggies will get eaten... I give mine their salads first and only after they eat some do they get bugs :) Be careful on carrots too much can lead to vit A toxicity. take a look at the links for food in the general care link and they tell you how often things should be fed..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When mine were babies I used to cook the squash in the microwave to make it softer, now i just shred it with a chesse grater. Cooking does lose some of the nutrients of the veggie.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth is finally munching readily on her salads, although she still lives her crickets. I can't wait to get her on dubia roaches!

I'll be calling around to vets that see reptiles tomorrow, to see who has experience with bearded dragons and MBD. I'm really picky with my vets, and don't want to waste my time or Ruth's. I'd like to get an xray to check her bone density and look for previous or current fractures and deformities. She also has a dark spot on her leg that I want to get a scraping of to have tested. I'll be bringing a stool sample as well. The more information I have, the easier it will be to get her on the mend. Hoping for good news!

No post is complete without photos!
Ruth, taking care of salad number 2!
5fc63be1d5279de0c038e8a65714cd52.jpg

31ae14547d78206475fa5362a155015c.jpg

I'll be modifying her current enclosure to add more ventilation so that I can provide a better temperature gradient. Eventually I'd like to get her the AP specialty enclosure for beardies and other lizards!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:) She's getting some nice coloring going on so that's great! Keep us posted on how things go..

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She looks fantastic! And her progress is nothing short of miraculous :) she took her first real steps today, back legs and all. It took a lot of energy, and few things motivate her to move, but she chased a cricket across her 10 gallon feeding enclosure, while lifting her whole belly off the ground! I'm so proud right now!!

The guy who took her in from her original owner allegedly "rescued" her. She was with him for quite some time and made little to no progress. I've had her for 10 days and she's starting to walk. This realization begs a few questions.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruthie goes to see the most experienced exotic vet I could find in the area. It's only a 40 to 45 minute drive, so I consider myself lucky! Her appt is tomorrow evening. Fingers crossed for all good news! The little gal is happily much in on greens as I type. Such a good little gal!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She displayed a very black beard on the way home to let me know just how unhappy she was. Frankly, I wasn't that fond of him either.

8244365388160652d3faba867d451afa.jpg

55d8da43b69a562113dfa46fb5be6fa9.jpg

19ea94a179395a4614328baab7cbeba1.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She displayed a very black beard on the way home to let me know just how unhappy she was. Frankly, I wasn't that fond of him either.

8244365388160652d3faba867d451afa.jpg

55d8da43b69a562113dfa46fb5be6fa9.jpg

19ea94a179395a4614328baab7cbeba1.jpg
WOW that is some black beard!!! dang!!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
WOW that is some black beard!!! dang!!
I know, I've never seen her so dark! She definitely gets her point across! I never have to wonder what kind of mood she's in, or if she wants something.

I wasn't impressed with this vet. He was able to run the tests I wanted, except for blood work to check her vitamin and mineral levels. After seeing how he handled her, I didn't trust him to take a blood sample. I had a few questions and gave my current hypothesis, and he responded with "yep, that sounds about right, I'm sure it's nothing". ...dude. seriously vet man? You don't have opinions? Alternative explanations? Sentient thoughts? Let's just hop on the noob bandwagon! Thankfully the receptionist, in a very quiet voice, told me about a vet that was with them 19 years and had very happy reptile clients and owners. He moved to a different practice and is an hour away, but if he's as good as she said, it's well worth the travel. He also does group discounts for individuals like me with 13 snakes and 2 beardies :) solid reptile vets are a rare and endangered breed...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know, I've never seen her so dark! She definitely gets her point across! I never have to wonder what kind of mood she's in, or if she wants something.

I wasn't impressed with this vet. He was able to run the tests I wanted, except for blood work to check her vitamin and mineral levels. After seeing how he handled her, I didn't trust him to take a blood sample. I had a few questions and gave my current hypothesis, and he responded with "yep, that sounds about right, I'm sure it's nothing". ...dude. seriously vet man? You don't have opinions? Alternative explanations? Sentient thoughts? Let's just hop on the noob bandwagon! Thankfully the receptionist, in a very quiet voice, told me about a vet that was with them 19 years and had very happy reptile clients and owners. He moved to a different practice and is an hour away, but if he's as good as she said, it's well worth the travel. He also does group discounts for individuals like me with 13 snakes and 2 beardies :) solid reptile vets are a rare and endangered breed...

Yes she is showing her displeasure that's for sure! lol It amazes me their ability to black beard! My gal has not ever done that Thank goodness :) When Simon did I was amazed how jet black he got lol Such amazing critters!!
Wow :( that really sucks when you pay good money to see a vet that's supposed to be good with reptiles!! Well I hope that you go and see the other vet as yes they are hard to find sometimes which is really surprising with reptiles becoming more and more popular.. Trust your gut and I don't think I'd have him run bloodwork either.. With the improvements that she's made with you she is on the right track..Good greens, good supplements, good feeders that are nice and gut loaded with stuff she may not eat much of yet, good UVB, outside time, and lots of TLC and she's got alot going for her already!!
Good luck and keep us updated on her progress! If I were you I would think about doing a mail in fecal (I've posted the link recently in another thread) to Dr Dragon's (doctordragons.com) $12 discounts on multiples just in case your not convinced of his abilities.. you would think he can run fecals... lol

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I saved the doctor dragons info to my phone immediately after I saw it. I'm going to contact them and ask if they can run fecal exams on snakes as well. That way all of my critters can have annual exams and require vet appointments only in the event of a serious problem.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth has been running me ragged! She's gotten so active! She has few issues getting around now, and is really quick when she wants to get to something. The progress she has made in 3 short weeks just blows me away :) whenever I walk into the reptile room she scratches at the glass, and climbs right into my hands when I open her enclosure. Then she's off!

I gave her dubia roaches the other day, and she's been boycotting her veggies since then. So I've been offering nothing but veggies until she gets over her tantrum. I love this little girl [emoji173]

b8149a3a123bddb5573be6ec8ce34ed1.jpg

She's about to get a new enclosure as well! I was going to modify the one she has, but it's poorly built and just not worth it. It will also act as a temp home while we build her new digs. She's been climbing so much that I feel she can handle ramps now. I cant wait for her to have something really nice. She deserves it. And so the work begins!

Latest posts