• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new bearded dragon

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yeah your right im sorry i have adhd i had done research earlier before i left i somehow messed up its repti-sand i think would he be fine for a week

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
but it does say on review really dusty this stuff wasant dusty really at all and he hasan't gotten stained yet and ive never seen him really eat the sand when hes eating or when hes just about but i wil try to change soon

tdharris70

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I used to use the vita sand. Then I switched to the play sand from lowes, which I sifted through. Now with one of my dragons I am just going with paper towels, thinking of switches them too the ceramic tiles. :) There are alot of different theories when it comes to substrate and sand and such.

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well im about to go to petsmart and i ethir will get repti-sand its a natural sand no calcium but for bearded dragons if they have it if no tim going to use repti-carpet is that fine boots is like 6-7 inches hes a juvenile now lol the others at petsmart are smaller than him tho by a long shot i also know which species it is it said on the little tag pogona vitticeps but yea what would be better?

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Non Particle substrate (Repi Carpet, tiles, papaer towel) is always better for beardies. when the dragons are small they will lick everything and are very clumbsy eaters. Due to this they will ingest particle substrates which can casue impaction and other sdigestive issues.

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ty does the repti-carpet pull their claws and will crickets get under it? and also does it like need velcro to attach it to the bottom of the cage so no crickets can get under it

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Crickets may get under it and most people have a couple different pieces so they can always have one clean (you can put it in the washer.
If you cut it to fit the VIV crickets will have less chance of getting under it.

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
and is calcium on cricket 1-2 a week with daily misting and weekl 1-2 soakings from mister fine ? im getting collard greens today :)

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OK.....
Crickets should be dusted for 1 of the feedings each day for 6 days a week and a multi-vitamin dust for the 7th day. Baby dragons (under 18 months old) should be feed at least 2 times a day (perferably 3 times) as much as they will eat in 15 minutes. My daragon at 4 months was eating 80 apprpiatley sized crickets a day.
There is no need to mist a dragon.
If you are offering a weekly bath and veggies this will be fine. Hi humidity in their VIV from mist or misting machines can give them a respitory infection.(RI)

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well my mom is lagging but so dusting him cuz I buy 100 crickets every 3 days almost and i will dust one daily but i dont want to feed him to much he got a little gut once cuz he overate but he still pooped it out i was just limiting him 10-15 a day and he is already shedding like 3-4 days into im going to give him a luke warm bath tonight cause we used to have a bearded dragon i was so little when i had him i dont remeber much but boots seems happy with what i give him sometimes he gets more than usal he hasant gotten any snaller hes gotten bigger since i got him its only been about a week

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If the crickets are properly sized then you don't have to worry about him having issues from eating too much at this point. Under feeding him or limiting is worse for him then feeding too much. He will only eat until he is full.
10-15 really doesn't sound like enough to me. Please let him eat as muchas he wants in a 15 minute time frame 2 times a day at least!

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Non Particle substrate (Repi Carpet, tiles, papaer towel) is always better for beardies. when the dragons are small they will lick everything and are very clumbsy eaters. Due to this they will ingest particle substrates which can casue impaction and other sdigestive issues.

Great Post!

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i did some research and i dont know what you guys will think this one lady at the petstore in apple valley not petsmart she has about 10 beardies and breeds and sells them she said vita-sand the calcium is digestable but reptisand and desert mix isint so im going to stick with it it is the same color as him hes got wet and gotten it on him and it falls of no coloring of any sort hes almost 7 inches the ones at petsmart still are so small their babies stil hes quick when he eats but he is good at feeding not clumsy

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
its pure calcium how could it cause a problem calcium is calcium as long as he has regular food and the uvb to help him digest the calcium

tdharris70

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
:) there is alot of debate about the reptiles substrate no one really has the right answer for you. It is all personal preference I think. My preference is to keep the baby I got on paper towels. I do have a beardie adult on the calci sand but want to change her over. Dunno if I ever will though :)

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well its more natural and he wont be eating sand if in the wild they live on sand thats not digestable and hes not a baby hes a juvinile from what i hear 1-6 inch a baby 6-24 inches juvinile

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
and from what is on the ingredients list of vita san ingredients: calcium Carbonate, magnesium carbonate, iron oxide, beta carotene, ascorbic acid, (vitamin C), calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12, biotin, vitamin b-6, (pyridoxine HCL), niacin, riboflavin, vitamin b1 (thiamin HCL), folic Acid, Dicalcium phosphate

Latest posts