• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new bearded dragon

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
lol yea mine has a spot on his branch and he just lays out completly and his tail is finally pelling and hes starting his shed lol im going to feed him soon with some calcium on the cricks

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my adults wont chase crickets anymore. i start feeding them superworms at about six months old. now they get greens every day, superworms three times a week and a couple hornworms every 2 weeks. my avatar is Tank, he's about 721 grams

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
IMG_0038.JPG this is Grumpy, 921 grams as of today

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am sorry that you lost a Dragon. It really sucks when u can't rely on a product that a company manufactures. However, this x-ray should shed some light on the topic as 2 what shouldn't be used as a substrate. Thanks for posting.

tdharris70

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OMG wow that is a really good pic for informational purposes. Well that just makes me want to change the one i have on sand that much faster.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am sorry that you lost a Dragon. It really sucks when u can't rely on a product that a company manufactures. However, this x-ray should shed some light on the topic as 2 what shouldn't be used as a substrate. Thanks for posting.

No Problem at all.
Like most Dragon owners, when I started I listened to store employee's who I thought would know what they were talking about. Over time I learned what was safe and what wasn't. Most store employee's don't give bad info on purpose but they just have time or resources to stay on top of the new advancements and trends when it comes to each animal they sell.
My local store now uses me for husbandry and health advice on most of their lizards.
when it comes to substrate I would not consider any type of particle material for a beardy under 18 months and in my opinion tile is the closest thing to their natural enviroment in the wild. The austrailian landscape where these guys are from originally (All of ours are CB so they grew up in ours VIV's) is a very hard packed clay/soil that is almost as hard as concrete.
Hope this helps.
Fliehigh

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my adults wont chase crickets anymore. i start feeding them superworms at about six months old. now they get greens every day, superworms three times a week and a couple hornworms every 2 weeks. my avatar is Tank, he's about 721 grams

Just make sure that your dragon is at least 16" in lenght, from nose to tip of tail, before you feed them super worms. Until this lenght they have a kink in their intestines that stops them from passing bugs with a lot of chitlin. Unlike meal worms, supers do have some nutritional value for the dragon but they are still hard to digest.
Fliehigh

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
he likes the carpet it is acutally rather smooth from what it looks like lol, i just fed him but im going to the wild animal park so i wont be back till late should i leave some crickets in his cage

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Only give him what he will eat in 15 minutes, Crickets will actually bite and try to feed on the beardies when they are left to roam the VIV.
Fliehigh

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just make sure that your dragon is at least 16" in lenght, from nose to tip of tail, before you feed them super worms. Until this lenght they have a kink in their intestines that stops them from passing bugs with a lot of chitlin. Unlike meal worms, supers do have some nutritional value for the dragon but they are still hard to digest.
Fliehigh
i've read that about feeding supers at 16 inches however ive always started mine around six months and have not had any problems. i only feed 5 per feeding twice per day at that age. beardies that have digestive issues can also be supplemented with lactulose if necessary. you have to know your animals and pay attention. alot of people just toss worms or crickets in and walk away. i hand feed and have the scars to prove it. tank, at 700+ grams comes running when he thinks he's getting a hornworm. dont be afraid to "play" with poop either. as disgusting as it is, it is very important to see how your dragon is digesting. if you see lots of legs and wings in the poop (you will see a few) then products like prozyme may be useful. i know. im going on and on......

Latest posts