• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Back to the doctor...

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have missed this thread for a while, been making limited appearances on here for the past 2 weeks. I hope this surgery works for you and please let us know how your doing when you get a chance.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oooooooooooh hon, i'll be thinking about you. Have Bev email me or Lisa with updates. Put us on the "family list" again

donnab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger, it is my first time on here in quite a while and I find out you're facing surgery again. This is not good! Hopefully this will be the last surgery. I just started working for a Neurologist about 2 weeks ago. I'm sure you have looked into your neurosurgeon carefully, but, if you think there is anything I can do, please let me know. I think you have my e-mail as well, and feel free to use that. I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. Take care and please let us know how you are doing.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Donna. I see your eMail is listed in your profile....so, yeah, I have access to it.

I've talked to my doctor at length. Recently, though, I've asked how many times he can go in without creating additional problems. In addition, I've asked if there was an alternative that would guarantee that I wouldn't have any more issues at the L4/L5 level. Not to mention other levels (L4/L5 and L5/S1 are now gone....L3/L4 is degenerated to the point that it's on the verge of rupturing and L2/L3 and L1/L2 are in varying stages of advanced degeneration).

My condition is a bit different than most. With me, the discs are not only degenerating at a faster rate than normal, I have the issue of spinal stenosis and osteoarthritis playing a role in this as well. The arthritis and DDD are tearing apart while the stenosis is building up....just not in a positive manner. With me only being 40 and dealing with all of this, Dr. Young feels the stenosis could get bad enough at some point that my spinal canal will need to be "roto-rooted" as he called it. Otherwise, the stenosis could continue to the point that it chokes off my spinal cord. And if it does that, it could lead to paralysis. We're hoping it never comes to that, though. However, knowing my issues will not be going away any time soon, Dr. Young (neurosurgeon) has been performing the surgeries with minimal intrusiveness. And because of it, not only is my recovery quicker, there isn't as much scar tissue built up as a result. Meaning, he or somebody else will be able to continually go in wthout too much recourse.

The only alternative is manual fusion. He's explained to me that, if he were to go in and manually fuse the vertebrae, the energy and load that was bore at the fused level would automatically transfer to the level directly above it. And in my condition, the degeneration is to the point that the newly affected disc wouldn't be able to handle the sudden load and would be a very short time before it, too, ruptures. That disc would be removed, that level gets fused and the rupturing continues on up the ladder.

With natural fusion, meaning the vertebrae fuse themselves together over time due to friction caused from the loss of their respective disc, the load transfer is much easier on the next disc. And, while it still may rupture at some point in the future, it's not nearly as soon as it would have been with a manual fusion. Knowing my spine is in the condition of most of the 75 to 80 year old patients Dr. Young has operated on, my wife and I feel manually fusing the vertebrae isn't an option.

I've looked into this stuff at length. I've found the only other option to maual fusion is a total replacement. And the disc replacement available today has been deemed a failure for those with Degenerative Disc Disease. They've found that there's a higher success rate when allowing the discs to naturally fuse themselves than TDR (total disc replacement). And the next best thing is still in the beta study phase with at least another 5 to 10 years of study before being submitted to the federal government for authorization to offer their product to the public. And who knows how long it could take them to cut through all the red tape the government provides. So, to be honest, I've been a bit discouraged in what I've found....and believe that Dr. Young is at the forefront of technology for cases like mine. We also believe he truly does have my best interest at heart and is doing his best to make me as pain-free as possible. But he's only able to do so much.

Knowing you're now involved in this field, perhaps there is something you could do for me. At some point, if you have time to talk to your neurologist, can you ask him if he knows about the Microsurgery & Brain Research Institute of St. Louis? And if he does, just ask his opinion of it. My neurosurgeon, Dr. Paul Young, is the founder and his resume is quite extensive. He's highly regarded in our area.....so it would be interesting to see how he's regarded elsewhere. I know your neurologist would never give an opinion about my condition without a medical history and/or any records to view...so I won't even ask. However, it may come to a point where Bev and I feel it's time to go somewhere else. And when that happens, we very well may be heading up your way.

Thanks!

donnab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craig, sorry it took so long to reply. Always feel free to use the e-mail as I always check that regularly. I'll speak with Dr. Cacioppo on Monday and see what he knows about the Institute and Dr. Paul Young. I will get back to you...soon. Again, please feel free to use the e-mail. I am much better about checking that.

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I hurt my back years ago in the L4-5 region. Almost ruptured the disc and moved a couple others. I followed all the doctor's and therapist's orders to a tee. I was constantly hurting myself doing their exercises and such. I finally said they're all quacks and stopped all that nonsense. I haven't had to take a pain pill all summer. I miss my bike and jogging but honestly it ain't worth the damned pain and fuzziness from the drugs.

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Best of luck to you BTW and I'm in no way telling you not to listen to your doc's.

Just relating what my dumbass did.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Donna. Guess it would have been better to use eMail. I'll know next time....

Thanks Ric....and I didn't take anything the wrong way. So no worries! :)

Surgery is just three days away. Yesterday was my last day of work 'til August 19th.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I may not have access to a computer before your surgery so, I will be thinking about you and hope all goes well and a fast recovery.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, best of luck to you, Craig! You'll be in our thoughts. Try and have Bev keep us updated of your progress.

donnab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craig, I wish you all the best with your surgery. I'll still look into the Institute and Dr. Paul Young, just in case you ever want a second opinion. But, in the meantime, please keep us informed as to how you are doing. I'll say a little prayer for you...Take care.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks guys!

Bev will be updating Lisa, Gina and Vesta on Wednesday with how things go. So hopefully one of them can give an update on here for me.

And thanks for checking with your doctor, Donna.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good luck Craig

Hope all goes smoothly. Speedy and fast recovery. Will be checking in for updates.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Want to send you best wishes for your surgery on Tuesday now as I don't know when they are admitting you for pre-op. I will be thinking of you on Tuesaday and will be praying this operation works and leaves you pain free. Tell the Bev and the girls I will pray for them as well. It's hard on the loved ones standing by as well!!! Have someone post and let us know how it went. : )

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
Ric said:
Craiger said:
doctor, Donna.

did anyone else giggle at the Dr. Who pun?

i know I'm a geek.

You'll have to fill me in....it's going over my head. LOL!

In the new Dr. Who series one of his companions was named Donna Nobles. At one point her mind melded with the tardis' power supply and she became a warped version of a Timelord forcing her to eventually have her mind wiped by The Doctor. Before he wiped her she and he giggling called herself Dr. Donna. She started to lose her mind and got stuck repeating Dr. Donna over and over.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sorry Craiger!!! I missed your earlier post and that you have already taken care of everything in letting us know how you make out. Did you post anywhere about recovery time? Best wishes to you Buddy!! We will all be thinking of you!!

Latest posts