• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice for caring for horribly neglected babies.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
NO ENEMAS-- they often more than not prove fatal!

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Update: I'm worried about Mako. His beard is drooping. I looked it up, and the possible reasons (heart and kidney disease or parasites) concerns me.
Yesterday, I asked my mom to feed him while I was out, and she, without knowing, gave him spinach. Also, he's shedding.
Could that have something to do with it?
View attachment 26240
Spinach is fine in small quantities but don’t give it as a staple or just to much

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Honestly what it could be is him storing extra food in his beard. I find that rescues do this more often because they know what it's like to be starving so even after they are rescued they still keep this habit worried that they will starve again. Both Cleo and Prometheus still do this even though both of them get food everyday. It definitely is good news that it went away but still I implore you to take him to the vet and do all the tests you'd like. The one thing I do want to let you know, you can still do it by all means, but x-rays can be pointless to get for bearded dragons. My vet was actually the one that told me this because they are so small (especially in Mako's case) x-rays usually can't tell you anything except for the state of their bones. Best thing to do to check for anything is blood test (make sure you ask for a full panel one) and a stool sample which you can bring yourself if it a poop from the same day as his vet appointment (it has to be fresh). Hope I was able to help and calm some of your nerves. :)
I don't know about it being food storage since it appears before I fed him. The fact that his abdomen is now blown up is the most concerning.
Thank you for the heads up about the x-rays! That was a concern of mine since i know how expensive they get.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok I know this is off topic but how can I not share this. i just had frank out. And I learning to let him explore more and i though he would like the widow and welll...... I was correct

Attachments

• 14467856-057B-4300-9B5E-F558A6AF8DD0.jpeg
    14467856-057B-4300-9B5E-F558A6AF8DD0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Mako's stopping trying to eat yesterday. He'll lick up whatever I put in his nose, but that's starkly different from before. He's still moving around at least. I think his belly may be less swollen hopefully.
I've been trying desperately to find a vet since yesterday, but all the exotic vets I've called (at least 20) will not see him on such short notice. The soonest I can find an appointment is tomorrow but I'm hoping to maybe find somewhere else that will see him today.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mako's stopping trying to eat yesterday. He'll lick up whatever I put in his nose, but that's starkly different from before. He's still moving around at least. I think his belly may be less swollen hopefully.
I've been trying desperately to find a vet since yesterday, but all the exotic vets I've called (at least 20) will not see him on such short notice. The soonest I can find an appointment is tomorrow but I'm hoping to maybe find somewhere else that will see him today.
Has he gone poop?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah. I saved it in case I find someplace today. His poop looks weird.
It looks dehydrated- no urate- please give him some water- how does he drink? They will not eat if they are dehydrated- I would get him into the bath and see if he will drink if he starts drinking a lot or real fast- slow him down you don't want him aspirating let him drink in intervals or offer in syringe give slowly and let him swallow what you give him

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
It looks dehydrated- no urate- please give him some water- how does he drink? They will not eat if they are dehydrated- I would get him into the bath and see if he will drink if he starts drinking a lot or real fast- slow him down you don't want him aspirating let him drink in intervals or offer in syringe give slowly and let him swallow what you give him
I'll do that asap! Thank you!

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Now that I know he was just thirsty, I'm less concerned about getting him to a vet asap. My mom and I are off (from school and work, respectively) on Wednesday, so I'll try to get an appointment with a vet we trust (he was really good with my older Beardie)
My mom and I are thinking that he can wait till then since he's moving alright and the swelling isn't specific to one area. (He's so active that he jumped earlier! He didn't touch the bottom 1 1/2 of his basking rock because he jumped over it!)
I'm gonna give him plenty of fluids till then.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Now that I know he was just thirsty, I'm less concerned about getting him to a vet asap. My mom and I are off (from school and work, respectively) on Wednesday, so I'll try to get an appointment with a vet we trust (he was really good with my older Beardie)
My mom and I are thinking that he can wait till then since he's moving alright and the swelling isn't specific to one area. (He's so active that he jumped earlier! He didn't touch the bottom 1 1/2 of his basking rock because he jumped over it!)
I'm gonna give him plenty of fluids till then.
Did he drink?

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If it helps call the vet and ask them if you can bring in the stool sample today. Many vets will likely say yes. And thats great to hear that he was only dehydrated today. Sometimes depending on what the rescue went through with their previous owner, they can get dehydrated faster. I find that my Prometheus gets dehydrated much quicker than my other 2 beardies even though Cleo was a rescue as well. So I often have to give him baths more frequently as well as spray his salads consistently. Maybe Mako is like Prometheus where he's part water dragon :)

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
If it helps call the vet and ask them if you can bring in the stool sample today. Many vets will likely say yes. And thats great to hear that he was only dehydrated today. Sometimes depending on what the rescue went through with their previous owner, they can get dehydrated faster. I find that my Prometheus gets dehydrated much quicker than my other 2 beardies even though Cleo was a rescue as well. So I often have to give him baths more frequently as well as spray his salads consistently. Maybe Mako is like Prometheus where he's part water dragon :)
Since the vet is so far away (an hour each direction in good traffic), it’ll be easiest for me to give the sample when mako goes for the visit. (Not to mention, he’s never seen this vet, so, to my knowledge, they won’t look at a fecal sample until they see him. At least, that’s what I heard with my first beardie)
I’m gonna make sure to offer him water as often as possible. I’m contemplating possible leaving a water dish or bottle on the cool end for him to drink (since he’s so active, he’d have to problem running over when thirsty), but I’d want to get a good hydrometer first.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Omg, the poor babies :( they are adorable, though. I would recommend just flushing out goblin’s eye.
I hope they are housed in separate tanks. U cannot keep 2bearfues in the same tank one will suffer and they will get territorial in a Few months. Also lots of Reptisun 10.0 T5 UVb & a clear zoomed heat bulb. Both on in the summer for 10-12 hours more liek 10 amd in the summer keep both on for 12-14 hours more like 14. No lights on at nite and dark and quiet for them; like humans. Also never ever use colored or coiled bulbs. I hope u said something to your coworkers liek why they did this amd why they could spend the money or hope or read how to care for them! This is horrifying & we see it all the time!!! Kudos to you for taking and caring for them!!

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
I hope they are housed in separate tanks. U cannot keep 2bearfues in the same tank one will suffer and they will get territorial in a Few months. Also lots of Reptisun 10.0 T5 UVb & a clear zoomed heat bulb. Both on in the summer for 10-12 hours more liek 10 amd in the summer keep both on for 12-14 hours more like 14. No lights on at nite and dark and quiet for them; like humans. Also never ever use colored or coiled bulbs. I hope u said something to your coworkers liek why they did this amd why they could spend the money or hope or read how to care for them! This is horrifying & we see it all the time!!! Kudos to you for taking and caring for them!!
My mom, who has the coworker who did this, is too nice to say anything to this lady. Also, Goblin passed away shortly after the initial message, so it’s not a concern about separating them(though I’m well aware that beardies can’t be housed together). I keep Mako in my room. For the most part, he sleeps in quiet and darkness. I have a uvb bulb directed towards his basking spot. He moves around a lot, but he mostly sticks to his basking area which is why it’s pointed at where he basks.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My mom, who has the coworker who did this, is too nice to say anything to this lady. Also, Goblin passed away shortly after the initial message, so it’s not a concern about separating them(though I’m well aware that beardies can’t be housed together). I keep Mako in my room. For the most part, he sleeps in quiet and darkness. I have a uvb bulb directed towards his basking spot. He moves around a lot, but he mostly sticks to his basking area which is why it’s pointed at where he basks.
It sounds like he is doing so awsome. Your doing such a great job

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Update: Just left the vet. Mako had both pinworms and coccidia. He'll be taking dewormer daily for the coccidia and semiweekly for the pinworms.
The vet think, too, that he'll grow since his husbandry is good.
It's a nice day, so I'm moving his cage (gently) around to get him real sun light to bask in while we drive.

Attachments

• IMG_20210317_155000519_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210317_155000519_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210317_154949889_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210317_154949889_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8