• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Quit Smoking

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I quite with both my kids but once I stopped nursing I went back to it. So how did everyone quite?

I saw your way Renee and think that is interesting and will look into. Yes, acupuncture is a proven method for quitting smoking, it has a higher success rate than any most methods. I did a research paper on alternative medicine vs modern medicine and the alternative medicines are just as if not more affective than modern medicine and do not introduce man made, unnatural chemicals into the body.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Cold Turkey Baby!!! On the 5th day I had a meltdown to end all meltdowns!! I crammed carrots and apples in my mouth(literally) all day when I had withdrawal. I could not smoke with a mouthful of carrot or apple. I was really addicted and could not imagine my life without them. We ended up throwing the kids in the car(9 and 7) to get me out of the house and into a different space before I caved. Ended up in the middle of Reading at the park before I calmed down enough to go on!!! It really was the hardest thing I have ever had to do for myself!!!

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I quit cold turkey.....after the first week I told myself it had been a week, dont be crazy...kept saying that to myself...

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yep cold turkey, 3 weeks now and still going crazy. But nothing like the promise of a new reptile to keep you motivated lol.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I quit chemically. I used a wonder drug (or at least I see it as a wonder drug) called Chantix. I started taking it and put cigs down within 3 days, had to keep taking it for another 3 months. I have not had a single craving since and truly hate being around people while they are smoking now as well.

And thanks for the link Francis I will look into it.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
Yep cold turkey, 3 weeks now and still going crazy. But nothing like the promise of a new reptile to keep you motivated lol.
If you are having a hard time breaking the habit you can try what my husband did. I could send you more info on it if you need.

crypticdragons said:
I quit chemically. I used a wonder drug (or at least I see it as a wonder drug) called Chantix. I started taking it and put cigs down within 3 days, had to keep taking it for another 3 months. I have not had a single craving since and truly hate being around people while they are smoking now as well.

My husband tried Chantix and it worked for a little while but then he was one of the victims of the side effects and basically turned into a completely different person and it wasn't from the withdrawl. He tried another method and it's been working really well for him.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
Red Ink AUS said:
If you are having a hard time breaking the habit you can try what my husband did. I could send you more info on it if you need.

crypticdragons said:

My husband tried Chantix and it worked for a little while but then he was one of the victims of the side effects and basically turned into a completely different person and it wasn't from the withdrawl. He tried another method and it's been working really well for him.

yeah i had to be watched carefully because I started using it within a month of returning from Iraq and they were afraid it could "intensify" some issues I came back with but I signed a waiver and didnt kill anybody lol.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol yeah Chantix is great but only for people who don't suffer the side effects it is not fun for them or the people around them.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm not doing too bad on the craving part, it's the habit really. I just need to keep myself pre-occupied enough that I don't sit idle too long and think "hmmm.... I could go for a quick puff".

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was thinking about chantix but worry about the side effects. I have a long history of anxiety with a couple rounds of depression, and had postpartum depression with both kids, but really bad with my second. I try to stay away from all medicines that could make depression or anxiety worse.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I split the topic and made a new one. I know I was guilty and didn't want to steal Francis' original post any longer.

Just wanted to clarify that I didn't use acupuncture for quitting smoking. I used Chinese medicine coupled with accupuncture to prevent a 3rd miscarriage.

The Passebaque method was a combination of diet, meditation, and listening to a horrible sound when you smoked. At first, I figured what have I got to loose, it was guarenteed. There was an ad in the Sunday paper coupon section. Well, it worked.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Since this is a split topic now, if anyone is still trying to quit smoking my husband has quit using the e-cigarettes from www.cignot.com you ween yourself off the nicotine but can continue "smoking" just the flavor since the smoke is just water vapor.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh...And I want to add that a month after I quit I was pregnant with Sarah. We had not planned on having anymore children and our method had worked for all the years that I did smoke so I was 2 months pregnant before I realized what was up. Dr said smoking causes bloodvessels to constrict making it more difficult for you to get pregnant ( I never really did understand what he was saying actually) LOL But mine must have heaved a Heavy sigh and opened wide because I was pregnant immediately. By the time I realized, I looked down and there was a Baby Bump and I felt for sure I had a tumor. I was born to carry children and never had the problems that most people do so I had just gone on doing whatever I was doing not realizing I was pregnant. Just wanted to share that piece of information for you younguns so you can be warned that these things happen!! :D

I'll never regret having Sarah though. Even if she was a BIG surprise!!!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've had no issues getting pregnant. I had issues keeping the pregnancy. My body rejected it.

The Chinese medicine part was practicing Eastern medicine ways. I did not have to do any of the herbal meds, but I did have to change my diet. Eat more root veggies. I had followed the South Beach Diet for several years. It was my way to eat healthy, it just damaged my female stuff. A lot of cold veggies and uncooked stuff.

I started all of this by buying the book The Cure to Infertility. It was a US woman doctor who had issues herself. She stumbled upon Chinese medicine and practiced in China while learning the ways. It's pretty complex and has been around for 100s of years. She has successfully gotten many 'older' women pregnant (so to speak) in the US.

She starts with a quiz to see what deficiency you have. My memory is have a lapse right now. It's all about the Chi (I think) and balance. One example is you should never exercise during your period (sorry guys). That you should respect your body and let it rest during this time.

So, after reading the book on the way out to California for whale watching, I found one who was local to my work. I was floored when he told me I was pregnant. He was worried at one point, but everything worked out great. He did such a great job getting my females parts to work that I conceived our second right away. They are 51 weeks apart. Just one hiccup after our first was born and bingo - pregnant again. We love it though. They are so close and it has been cool to watch them grow.

Alright, I should have split this thread. We'll see where it takes us. ;)

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
No Renee!!! It's very interesting!! Thanks for sharing that. I think we're all grownups here and the word 'period' should not make anyone pop a hemorrhoid!! LOL!!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree Vesta don't think the "P" word is so bad after everyone grows up.

Renee, that is great that worked for you. I find it interesting the doctors tell people that alternative medicines are bad for them and don't work, will not fund to test the effectiveness, yet everyone you talk to who has tried these methods have had success. I had one miscarriage and the other 2 went good. Fainted a lot with my son but I guess low blood pressure is better than high blood pressure.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I fainted a lot too. I still do. My reaction to pain is to shut down. Split my nose from my face one Mother's Day. Must have hurt like crazy but I was out like a light so didn't feel the impact!! LOL!! Slight scar where my nose meets my face along the crease. Hardly noticable now!!

OK...Back on topic now.

SMOKING....RIGHT?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh yeah easily distracted here.

We are talking about another baby, last one, so I want to quite before I get pregnant this time. Kenz was an if it happens it happens, so when I found out I quite cold turkey and with Jordan, he was completely unexpected, so when I found out about him 2 months into it, I quite cold turkey again. This time since it is going to be completely planned I want to quite first. I think I am just going to go cold turkey like the last 2 times. Having my last baby should be good motivation.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
YEAH!!! I would think it will be a little easier to stick to it knowing the reward is great!!!

I smoked the entire time with my first. The stigma wasn't as great back then. She weighed 6lbs9oz and was perfectly healthy. I was about 7 months along with my son Bob when I got broncitis. I was throwing up in the sink with garbage disposal on. They could not give me anything and it was bad. I'd cough until I emptied my stomach. After awhile even the thought of lighting up made me run to the sink!! After he was born I made friends with a girl who smoked and we'd sit and talk and eventually I started up again. He weighed 7lbs 3oz. No smoking with Sarah and she weighed 8lbs6oz.

A friend of mine just shared with me this little tid bit...her Dr asked her what size shoe she wears. She wears an 8. He said she would have no problem delivering. The bigger the shoe size the easier the delivery!!! I wear a 5!! No WONDER I had such a hard time popping those babies out!! :eek:

Latest posts