• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parasites?

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well havent updated in a while but vinnie is doing 100% better. Hes up to 20.5 grams from 13.3 a month ago. Hes eating only about 12 small dubia a day (about 1/4 - 3/8 in). but thats about 12 more than he was eating. He seems to hide quite a bit under his steps or behind the "legs" to his platform. He is active just not real active. He poops every day or every other. Does bask but not as much as most beardies since hes only about 5 months i think it should be more but idk. And hes only shed once since i got him in dec. Only grown about one onch. Hes at about 7 1/2 inches now. Shouldnt he be bigger at about 5 months old? i was thinking hes going to be a runt since he was so sick when i got him? any thoughts?

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
One of his hiding spots. Sorry about the glare. uploadfromtaptalk1394737682306.jpg

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
No i dont think thats it. Hes been in there a month or so. He seems to hide more when me and the kids get home. Usually when i get home hes out and i lay the kids down for nap and feed him let him out for a few min. When i put him back he'll sit on his basking spot for a little while then he hides. He does come out just not like i think he should. Ya hes really small id say half of what he should be. But he acts fairly normal other than him hiding. Hes done this ever since i got him. Not really worried cuz everything else seems ok just curious why. Hes fine outside his tank runs all over licking everything lol.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mod podge. He used to do it in his other tank as well. He would hide behind his rock or if he was basking on his stick he would try to hide behind the stick if i walked by. Maybe hes just really timid? but nit sure. I guess it would be alot better if you could see it yourself

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
I'm no expert but sounds like he's seeking a 'hide' for comfort, maybe he was picked on before you got him so its engrained to hide? One of my fish does this constantly, perfect bill if health just likes the security of hiding and feeling safe.

Sometimes even with ppl there are antisocial ones hehe.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Im not sure how long the lady had him before me but he was only about 2 months old when i got him in dec. She only had a regular bulb for heat. Kept him in a 10 gal tank. No thermometer for temp. Had him on crushed walnut shells for substrate and when she would buy crickets she got 2-3 dozen at a time and just threw them in his tank until they were gone then she would do it all over again. So im also assuming thats why he refused to eat crickets when i got him. He also had parasites. He now has a dubia colony to feast on and he loves them. Just not growing very fast. Has gained 7 grams in the last month. Finally getting somewhere i think. I hope:)

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I hope so. Hes got such nice colors i would like to see him shed. Looks like his mouth is kinda starting too. I looked back at the first post and he was about 6 inches at the end of jan when i took him to the vet. Hes about 7 1/2 now so i would assume hes getting ready to shed.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Its been a while now since ive updated on vinnie. Hes growing nice now finally. When i walk in the vets they all come running over to see him and they can see the progress. There not a reptile vet but they are only about 30 sec drive from my house so i bring him in to get weighed and they keep records for me. Well anyway when i took him the first time he was only 13.5 grams and about 6 1/2". i took him last month and he was just shy of 8 3/4" and 20.5 grams. Now when i took him a couple days ago hes up to 35.5 grams and 9 3/4". hes also finally active as he should be running and jumping from one shelf to another only stopping long enough to lick the ground and look at me then resumes running.lol i got some video it was to funny. Also today i was making dinner had him on my shoulder he was going from one side to the other and climbing on my head, he than decided he wanted to climb down my back so i reached behind me to scoot him back up to my shoulder and the little **** started head bobbing at me i couldnt help but laugh at him. Thinks he is the king of the hill or something. Anywho heres a few pics.or maybe not. Ill post some when the server is back up.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Great news! He's growing like a weed!

It's really funny watching them run around the house! Luci and I play a game, we call it "i'm gonna get you"! He runs, stops and looks at me and I reach down to grab him and he runs again, stops to look at me and waits until I try to grab him then he runs again! The silly things that keep me entertained LOL!

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
I got to be very careful keeping steiner and beatrix out of their viv. BOTH like to chill on my chest as they look around the room then in the blink of an eye POOF off the back of my couch scurrying on the floor

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ahhhh what a little cutie! Looks like he's doing great under your care! :)

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks josh. Its been a long slow couple months but i think hes in the clear now.

Latest posts