• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parasites?

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I did do a bunch of reading on the meds they gave him and if he is having a reaction to it theres no reversal drug for it its just a matter of time. And pretty much making them eat and drink. Ive been trying to keep him on my lap so i can keep a close eye on him. Gave hime a syringe of water and a bath to get all his loose skin off. He looks good just his eyes have me worried. Hes never really eatin a lot since i got him so im not sure thats why i took him in.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm so sorry to hear this.

But it seems just like my girl Echo before she passed. Eyes always closed. Breathing heavily gaping all the time while breathing.

All you can do is try and bring here back. If you have access to silk worms grind them up and force fees her them. They are supposed to help with immune system..

I really hope you can get this guy turned around.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1391126763281.jpg

I just walked in the room and he had his eyes open and gaping. He doesnt have his mouth open like that all the time just while hes under the basking light, but hes never done it before that i noticed so idk. I hope he comes through. Id have to order some silk worms i dont have any close to me.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Do you know what was wrong with echo? how long was she like that before she passed?

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Everything with Echo was fine than I came home to this
uploadfromtaptalk1391127898090.jpg

Took her straight to the vet they kept her over night and said she had adenovirus.

So we brought her back home and hand feed her this every night.
uploadfromtaptalk1391127963201.jpg

Also hand feed her pure unflavored pedialyte
zegyjyjy.jpg

Than she turned like this.
uploadfromtaptalk1391128094305.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391128116471.jpg

And everything seemed to be going ok. Until I started giving her this for parasites.
nugapu2u.jpg

And everything went down hill from there. Started getting skinny eyes sinking in etc.

Than she just passed. I don't know exactly cause. All I can recommend is try ground up silkworms and those supplements if you can get them.

And definitely take to a reptile vet.

I really hope this helps somewhat.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Did you just put him in there in the last two days? Is that the new enclosure you built? Just wondering if fumes of some sort are affecting him or irritating his eyes? I know about the whole worming issue been following along but just thought of this cuz of his eyes staying closed.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I just put him in there to see if it would change anything with it being a diff enviroment. Was only in there about an hour today. Didnt seem to help. Ya now that you posted those pics i do remember reading that thread. Man i hope he comes through i feel like if i didnt give him those meds than he wouldnt be like this. I just gave him a syringe full of baby food. I have to force feed him and he doesnt even try to fight against me. Once the food is in his mouth he just kind of holds it there. I mixed some multi vit. With it so hopefully it helps until i can get the other stuff you recomended.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Make sure to fallow with water and massage his throat to aid in swallowing.

This is what terrifies me to start Jade on parasites meds......

I did follow with a little water. I know, i didnt know so much could happen with these meds. I wish i wouldve i prolly wouldve held off on them.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
No this was ivermectin i gave him. And it was such a small amount mixed with water then he only got a tiny amount of that. And spit half that out so i don't think he even got that much

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, are you sure thats what your vet prescribed? Does your vet see reptiles? Something aint right. Im no vet by any means but i do have a decent understanding of typical drugs and treatments. I would discontinue this immediately. Please find a different vet.

The picture of the dragon with his head pointed vertically is typically a sign of a respiratory infection. Be sure when you administer anything orally that you drop a very tiny amount inside the tip of the mouth. Allow time to drink and repeat. They breath from an opening behind the tongue called a glottis opening. Forcing fluids or anything liquid could easily be aspirated if not done right.

What parasite(s) did they find? I could help direct you/your vet to proper drugs and treatment.

Soak your dragon in warm water up to his arm pits daily. It is important to keep him hydrated.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi, are you sure thats what your vet prescribed? Does your vet see reptiles? Something aint right. Im no vet by any means but i do have a decent understanding of typical drugs and treatments. I would discontinue this immediately. Please find a different vet.

The picture of the dragon with his head pointed vertically is typically a sign of a respiratory infection. Be sure when you administer anything orally that you drop a very tiny amount inside the tip of the mouth. Allow time to drink and repeat. They breath from an opening behind the tongue called a glottis opening. Forcing fluids or anything liquid could easily be aspirated if not done right.

What parasite(s) did they find? I could help direct you/your vet to proper drugs and treatment.

Soak your dragon in warm water up to his arm pits daily. It is important to keep him hydrated.

Hi. No she doesnt see herps i just took a stool sample in to see if he had parasites because he hasnt really eatin anything since i got him. And hes not very active. Im NOT giving him anymore of those meds they gave him. He seems to be moving around a little now and keeping his eyes open a little longer at a time now. Ive been feeding him with a syringe and bathing him everyday. I believe it was pinworms. She let me look in the microscope and the slide was covered with circles.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I plan on taking him to my herp vet but the closest one is almost an hour away. Ive read that some herp vets do use this but not very often.

Latest posts