• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

not eating/unusual behavior

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Does he hang out in that spot often? The reason I ask is because I notice no UVB light is getting to him right there. Also that UVB light you are using is not very good. It would be very wise to invest in a tube style UVB that would cover 2/3rds of the enclosure. Reptisun 10.0 t5 is really the way to go. This would give him the amount of UVB he needs. How long do you leave his lights on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
There are a lot of things you could fix, a million questions we could ask, but for the sake of not overwhelming you I'll hit 2 key point that should be addressed asap, like, tonight if possible.

1. Lower the basking temps for your lovely dragon. A lower wattage bulb will do the trick.

2. Get a fluorescent tube style UVB light that spans the entire, or vast majority, of the enclosure. The UVB bulb you have is the most likely culprit of the developing MBD in your dragon. I can't stress how important it is that the light be replaced with the tube style to halt the MBD. As previously stated, the reptisun 10.0 is the bulb you want. These 2 minor tweaks may also get him on track eating again, and with some calcium dusted insects and time outside in the sun, he should recover.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

codycr6

Bearded Dragon Egg
These are his current bulbs, around 2 months old
20160909_051502.jpg

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
These are his current bulbs, around 2 months oldView attachment 15441
I have the exact same day bulb for a monitor, but I wouldn't use it for a bearded dragon. The dual reflectors concentrate the light into a smaller area which is why your temps are so high. They also create a floor temp of up to 120F because they are so intense. If you switch to a regular bulb with a broader beam, it will get your temps down. If your girlfriend already has the 40 gallon tank, I'd get him moved into that. This is the bulb that I use.

1586249a125e1c9b428fb0ed7ca885f7.jpg

Lights at night are bad, even red ones. They can see it and it can make it difficult for them to fall asleep. If your temps don't fall below 65 at night, you don't need supplemental heat. A nighttime drop is actually beneficial for our dragons. If you do need supplemental heat, ceramic heat emitters are perfect. They create heat with zero light output.

615c2cc23e519127863caa2cb08cca33.jpg

I also didn't notice a UVB light. The zoomed bulb provides UVA, but not UVB. It's arguably the most important aspect of a dragons life, without it, they can have serious health issues. An elevated area, or piece of cage furniture will he required to get your dragon closer to the UVB. The UVB when filtered through a screen top is really only effecrive 6 to 8 inches from the source. Youll notice your dragon will actually bask in the UVB light. Tube styles are the best since they span the entire enclosure. You need one light fixture, a 3ft fixture would be best for a 40 gallon, though you may have to order one if your local shops don't carry them.

e1cbdf21c1d26814c0318f3db069810f.jpg

And then there's the bulb. This is the bulb that pretty much all of us use. It's the love child of the dragon world.

fbc6e466b69bc9c500dc72d722d35ed2.jpg

And last but not least, an infrared heat gun. You can live without it, but life is sooo much easier with it. Standard probe thermometers can give you general air temp, but not the temp of a specific spot, like the basking spot. This is important, especially for our dragons, since adults prefer to be around 95F.

36c2cee79f8badf6a554629389ac7ce5.jpg

I know it sounds like a lot, but these are all really important aspects to good husbandry and our dragon's health. The changes you need to make can't be done effectively in a 20 gallon, and creating a proper gradient in a 40 is cake. With these changes, your dragons appetite should pick back up, and the MBD should stop progressing with correct lighting and calcium supplementation. Without these changes, the MBD will progress, which is a death sentence for your girlfriend's young companion.

codycr6

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have the exact same day bulb for a monitor, but I wouldn't use it for a bearded dragon. The dual reflectors concentrate the light into a smaller area which is why your temps are so high. They also create a floor temp of up to 120F because they are so intense. If you switch to a regular bulb with a broader beam, it will get your temps down. If your girlfriend already has the 40 gallon tank, I'd get him moved into that. This is the bulb that I use.

1586249a125e1c9b428fb0ed7ca885f7.jpg

Lights at night are bad, even red ones. They can see it and it can make it difficult for them to fall asleep. If your temps don't fall below 65 at night, you don't need supplemental heat. A nighttime drop is actually beneficial for our dragons. If you do need supplemental heat, ceramic heat emitters are perfect. They create heat with zero light output.

615c2cc23e519127863caa2cb08cca33.jpg

I also didn't notice a UVB light. The zoomed bulb provides UVA, but not UVB. It's arguably the most important aspect of a dragons life, without it, they can have serious health issues. An elevated area, or piece of cage furniture will he required to get your dragon closer to the UVB. The UVB when filtered through a screen top is really only effecrive 6 to 8 inches from the source. Youll notice your dragon will actually bask in the UVB light. Tube styles are the best since they span the entire enclosure. You need one light fixture, a 3ft fixture would be best for a 40 gallon, though you may have to order one if your local shops don't carry them.

e1cbdf21c1d26814c0318f3db069810f.jpg

And then there's the bulb. This is the bulb that pretty much all of us use. It's the love child of the dragon world.

fbc6e466b69bc9c500dc72d722d35ed2.jpg

And last but not least, an infrared heat gun. You can live without it, but life is sooo much easier with it. Standard probe thermometers can give you general air temp, but not the temp of a specific spot, like the basking spot. This is important, especially for our dragons, since adults prefer to be around 95F.

36c2cee79f8badf6a554629389ac7ce5.jpg

I know it sounds like a lot, but these are all really important aspects to good husbandry and our dragon's health. The changes you need to make can't be done effectively in a 20 gallon, and creating a proper gradient in a 40 is cake. With these changes, your dragons appetite should pick back up, and the MBD should stop progressing with correct lighting and calcium supplementation. Without these changes, the MBD will progress, which is a death sentence for your girlfriend's young companion.

I've noticed the red bulb keeps him awake, we were under the impression that it provided UVB, but I see that is not the case. We were running both during the day, guess it's time to get rid of them and go to newer lights. I've been using heat emitters for years as well. I have a temperature gun already.
Aren't there some Reptisun bulbs that provide UVA and UVB?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've noticed the red bulb keeps him awake, we were under the impression that it provided UVB, but I see that is not the case. We were running both during the day, guess it's time to get rid of them and go to newer lights. I've been using heat emitters for years as well. I have a temperature gun already.
Aren't there some Reptisun bulbs that provide UVA and UVB?
I don't believe the reptisun bulbs provide UVA, just UVB. Some basking lights provide UVA, but it isn't a necessity.

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The ReptisunT5 HO Terrarium light provides both uva, uvb, and visible light. I recently got a 24 inch hood an light off eBay for under $50, but that was a deal so I jumped on it. Foster's and Smith sells them separately for around $75. I think this would be perfect for you.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The ReptisunT5 HO Terrarium light provides both uva, uvb, and visible light. I recently got a 24 inch hood an light off eBay for under $50, but that was a deal so I jumped on it. Foster's and Smith sells them separately for around $75. I think this would be perfect for you.
Thanks for that info :) I wasn't sure about the UVA output. That just confirms how awesome the reptisun 10.0 T5 HO bulb is! Amazon has some good pricing on hoods as well. I saw some as low as $40 with good ratings. Most of your local pet supply stores stock 24 inch hoods , but you'll be paying a little more up front.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
HOLD ON, the temps for a 10 month old should be still be 95 degrees. From 5-18 months they are still considered juveniles. After 18 months THEN drop the temp to 90-95 degrees.

Under my comment there is a link to some helpful general information. You should take a look at it. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

codycr6

Bearded Dragon Egg
Currently 78 at the coolest part of the cage, 95 at the warmest, 102 on his rock. I have him on a high calcium diet, and I attached a picture of his UVB bulb. When we get moved into our new house here in a month or so I can move him into the 40 gallon tank and get the recommended light, but will this light do for now?
20160912_091600.jpg

codycr6

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is his new bulb. I can't move him into the larger tank yet, but we will be moving to our new farm in about a month and we will have an extra room just for reptiles. I also have him on a high calcium diet, but I am still waiting for the honey pollen and probiotics to get here.
20160912_091600.jpg

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Your temps are great. But Coil style bulbs are bad for their eyes. When you can I would look into a tube style UVB bulb reptisun 10.0 is one of the best. Until than If you can't get him outside (or if it isn't warm and sunny where you are located) I'd use the UVB source I had since he really needs it. Just keep a close eye on him. Someone with more experience will jump in soon and be able to tell you how safe that bulb is much better than I can.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your temps are great. But Coil style bulbs are bad for their eyes. When you can I would look into a tube style UVB bulb reptisun 10.0 is one of the best. Until than If you can't get him outside (or if it isn't warm and sunny where you are located) I'd use the UVB source I had since he really needs it. Just keep a close eye on him. Someone with more experience will jump in soon and be able to tell you how safe that bulb is much better than I can.

Yes your correct these coil bulbs are known to cause eye damage. So the sooner the you can put a tube style the better, lots of outside time will help too.

codycr6

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes your correct these coil bulbs are known to cause eye damage. So the sooner the you can put a tube style the better, lots of outside time will help too.

I wasn't aware of that, just trying to get him as much UVB as I could. It's been 6 years since I dealt with beardies, and that was in a much larger custom tank that we could use 4 foot fixtures on. She does take him outside quite a bit, and we will hopefully be out on the farm as soon as the paperwork is finished, then we will have 80 acres and plenty of room!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
No worries they've probably made many changes in 6 years with lighting and all that stuff. Sunlight is the best source of UVB so it's great that he's taken outside. Once you guys can get him a reptisun 10.0 t5 I think you'll start to notice a big difference in him.
Wishing you guys the best of luck. Keep us updated on how he is doing. And if you have any other questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask. There are some really great people on here that will be glad to help you out

codycr6

Bearded Dragon Egg
I ordered bee pollen, probiotics, and other stuff from beardeddragon.com on the 8th, but they haven't shipped yet. I emailed them, but no response. Is this typical?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes it took my last order about 10-14 days to arrive. I think they actually make a lot of the products and stuff if I'm not mistaking. They have excellent stuff it just takes time to get it lol

Anthony Radford

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I ordered bee pollen, probiotics, and other stuff from beardeddragon.com on the 8th, but they haven't shipped yet. I emailed them, but no response. Is this typical?

Yes, that IS normal. If you read their shipping/order policy, they state to allow 3 business days for the order to process before shipping. If you ordered on Thursday the 8th, then Friday is business day #1, Monday is #2, yesterday is #3. You should get an email from them this afternoon...

codycr6

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh, and feeding him bsfl's now, along with an occasional fuzzy and baby food with added calcium. Just waiting for my other food goodies to arrive.

Latest posts