• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hatchling beardie Fluffy lethargic

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
Try feeding him by spoon first see if he will lick it off you are going to haft to force feed- go in on the side of his mouth you may haft to snip the end but you must feed slow and small amounts- how long has it been since he ate
I just smashed up a couple dusted crickets with tiny bit of water into syringe. He wouldn’t even open his eyes. The tank lights are off now. I might bring him back to the pet store tomorrow, so they can look at him. His mouth is so tiny not sure if I’ll be able to open it without hurting him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have put bottled water in his tank bowl and every I’ve been I’ve been dropping some at the tip of his nose. He never seemed interested. Yesterday I held him a put the droplets in front of him and it looked like he drank some but I tried again today and he just had his eyes closed and never opened his mouth. Your recommending Chicken flavored baby food by syringe? I could get some and try but what if he doesn’t open his mouth for it, like the water?
Try feeding him by spoon first see if he will lick it off you are going to haft to force feed- go in on the side of his mouth you may haft to snip the end but you must feed slow and small amounts- how long has it been since he ate
I just smashed up a couple dusted crickets with tiny bit of water into syringe. He wouldn’t even open his eyes. The tank lights are off now. I might bring him back to the pet store tomorrow, so they can look at him. His mouth is so tiny not sure if I’ll be able to open it without hurting him.
If you take him back to the store they will put him in the back and do nothing they will let him die- you must try to get him to eat something-

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon

If you take him back to the store they will put him in the back and do nothing they will let him die- you must try to get him to eat something-
Update- Fluffy pooped last night and seems to be a little better. I took out all the crickets going to get smaller one’s today until the grubs and 1/4” Dubai roaches come in

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update- Fluffy pooped last night and seems to be a little better. I took out all the crickets going to get smaller one’s today until the grubs and 1/4” Dubai roaches come in
Did you get some food into him? Feed like a 1/2 ml at a time 3 times per day --

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
Did you get some food into him? Feed like a 1/2 ml at a time 3 times per day --
Trying. I just got some smaller crickets and dusted them. He drank a little of my crushed cricket calcium soup but not much. I told the pet store I need 40 of the smallest crickets that they are to large and almost killed my pet and stupid girl grabbed the first 40. 90% of them to big

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
Trying. I just got some smaller crickets and dusted them. He drank a little of my crushed cricket calcium soup but not much. I told the pet store I need 40 of the smallest crickets that they are to large and almost killed my pet and stupid girl grabbed the first 40. 90% of them to big
He has pooped like 3 times in 10 days so I figure he has to be eating something but I never see it. I can’t get him to open his mouth to syringe feed him

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He has pooped like 3 times in 10 days so I figure he has to be eating something but I never see it. I can’t get him to open his mouth to syringe feed him
Go into on the side of his mouth you will probably haft to pry it open -- try dropping food on his snout see if he will lick it off -- keep up w/ the crushed cricket soup stuff -- keep feeding that and add some veggies - his main diet is protein - add a pinch of your calcium D 3 -- did you get your UVB and surface basking temps situated?

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
Go into on the side of his mouth you will probably haft to pry it open -- try dropping food on his snout see if he will lick it off -- keep up w/ the crushed cricket soup stuff -- keep feeding that and add some veggies - his main diet is protein - add a pinch of your calcium D 3 -- did you get your UVB and surface basking temps situated?
It worked started pushing down on the bottom of his mouth then he starting eating I had crushed 3 fairly large “small” crickets up with tiny amount of water and calcium into about 1/4ML and he starting eating it. Yes I moved UVB so not over screen and there is still and area to bask that is atleast 100°F probably more in other areas on basking hammock

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
It worked started pushing down on the bottom of his mouth then he starting eating I had crushed 3 fairly large “small” crickets up with tiny amount of water and calcium into about 1/4ML and he starting eating it. Yes I moved UVB so not over screen and there is still and area to bask that is atleast 100°probably more in other areas on basking hammock
It worked started pushing down on the bottom of his mouth then he starting eating I had crushed 3 fairly large “small” crickets up with tiny amount of water and calcium into about 1/4ML and he starting eating it. Yes I moved UVB so not over screen and there is still and area to bask that is atleast 100°F probably more in other areas on basking hammock
Thanks for your help. Fluffy still looks lethargic but hopefully with getting the right UVB and getting food now he can get better in time.
He his around a bit more now but not much, and his eyes are still closed 98% of the time.
How many crickets should a hatchling bearded dragon eat daily?

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
It worked started pushing down on the bottom of his mouth then he starting eating I had crushed 3 fairly large “small” crickets up with tiny amount of water and calcium into about 1/4ML and he starting eating it. Yes I moved UVB so not over screen and there is still and area to bask that is atleast 100°probably more in other areas on basking hammock

Thanks for your help. Fluffy still looks lethargic but hopefully with getting the right UVB and getting food now he can get better in time.
He is moving around a bit more now but not much, and his eyes are still closed 98% of the time.
How many crickets should a hatchling bearded dragon eat daily?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What brand of basking bulb are you using? You don't want any off white or yellowish or bulbs called daytime- they will cause eye issues - 20-25 crickets per feeding - just keep offering the food 3 times per day but we need figure out why his are closed all the time starting w/ the basking bulb-- did you get the reptisun bulb I recommended? Never mind I read the other post- but what about the basking bulb - brand please--

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What brand of basking bulb are you using? You don't want any off white or yellowish or bulbs called daytime- they will cause eye issues - 20-25 crickets per feeding - just keep offering the food 3 times per day but we need figure out why his are closed all the time starting w/ the basking bulb-- did you get the reptisun bulb I recommended? but what about the basking bulb - brand please--

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
840D5F3E-4667-4014-9F4D-62094AFCC8F9.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He has never ate anywhere near 20-25. I’d be surprised if he ate 3 the 10 days I’ve had him.
He should have a ravenous appetite -- keep feeding him small amounts and get him thru this and build his strength up add a pinch of calcium D3 to his bugs and add greens to that slurry too- make it w/ water in it so he's getting hydration

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It does look like there is shed coming on -- I dont see anything that would cause concern -- rinse them w/ some saline as I posted and see if she opens them up --- did you get the Reptisun bulb that I posted a while back -- even the Zilla would not cause eye issues but its a better strength bulb -- did you get the distance of 6-8 inches?