• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hatchling beardie Fluffy lethargic

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
28D55AB9-3F8E-4B33-A175-4514EB581B5A.jpeg

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
Picked him up approximately a 2 weeks ago. He seems always tired and not alert. Not interested in food. Usually basking under lamp. 20 gal tank with 75W basking light, new T10 15” UVB. Heat pad on hot side. Never seen him eat but I do believe some crickets are gone. He usually jumps back to hammock once placed in tank. Now he just laying in food bowl where I put him in few hours ago. I let him soak in warm water couple day this week. He started to shed his tail right when we got him, most of it has come off but still some shed left on tail.

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
Moved him out of the bowl last night because I didn’t want the worms to eat him. He was in the same spot I left him 12 hrs earlier, the next day. Anyone have any idea what is wrong with him?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Moved him out of the bowl last night because I didn’t want the worms to eat him. He was in the same spot I left him 12 hrs earlier, the next day. Anyone have any idea what is wrong with him?
I enlisted help please go over your lighting etc UVB and basking temps
Here is what she said
It could be a lot of things, for one those mealworms arre too big and even if he ate one it could cause a serious impaction and even death. Other things Sadie can help you with like going over proper lighting. I'm sorry , I'm sure you wanted to take good care of your baby + probably spent a lot of money but they are very delicate at that size and although they may swallow a large insect they can't digest them. Whoever you got the baby from didn't give you the proper care info.

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
The UVB is a T 8 or a T 5 I am gonna say its a T 8 please take the screen off of it T 8's cannot go thru screen make sure that hammock is 6-8 inches under it and please get the basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer -- 105-110
Baskin temps are okay. It’s a T8 desert 50 series

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Baskin temps are okay. It’s a T8 desert 50 series
Ok Zilla brand? If there is a clear plastic cover over the bulb take it off and please get this uvb bulb it's a better bulb a reptisun 10.0 T 8 -- please take the screen off and place directly above the hammock 6-8 inches- make sure the dragon is staying hydrated - either by dropping water on his nose or syringe I recommend dropping water - please get some bsfl or nutri grubs and small roaches from here www.dudiaroaches.com look at the roach chart and get them by the space no bigger than between his eyes-- get some medium size nutri grubs do not dust them - dust the roaches ONCE per feeding w/ calcium d3 5 x per week and 2 x per week ONCE per feeding w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene - feed as many as you want of the nutri grubs on top of his salads every morning- use the nutri grubs as lures to the salad bowl - then feed the roaches about an hour later- I would start w/ 10-15 - he should be fed 3 times per day insects -

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can get a bowl like this to keep the nutri grubs in and the roaches
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
The 20 gallon tank will need to be upgraded to a large tank I recommend a 75-120 gallon by the time hes 4-5 months old -- you can get used or new I can help w/ the new ones - if you want a used look on craigslist or FB marketplace -- make sure it is good and sanitized if used - and look for one w/ front doors -- they are the best -- you will need to upgrade the UVB as well - I would look at doing that now and get this 24" fixture Zoo Med this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you can use that on the 20 gallon tank now and when you upgrade to a larger tank you will only need to get the 10.0 bulb T 5 here is a link for the fixture
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756
this needs to placed on top of the tank w/ no screen like I posted for the one you have now - same distance - the expiration dates for the 5.0 bulb and the T 8 you have now is 6 months I recommend 5 -- the T 5 bulb that I mentioned is approx one year
also I recommend getting a hygrometer w/ a probe

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please keep an eye on the tail I noticed it looks like it got nipped maybe -- you dont want it to get it infected please post a better pic of the tail - I want some one to look at it for me

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
Ok Zilla brand? If there is a clear plastic cover over the bulb take it off and please get this uvb bulb it's a better bulb a reptisun 10.0 T 8 -- please take the screen off and place directly above the hammock 6-8 inches- make sure the dragon is staying hydrated - either by dropping water on his nose or syringe I recommend dropping water - please get some bsfl or nutri grubs and small roaches from here www.dudiaroaches.com look at the roach chart and get them by the space no bigger than between his eyes-- get some medium size nutri grubs do not dust them - dust the roaches ONCE per feeding w/ calcium d3 5 x per week and 2 x per week ONCE per feeding w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene - feed as many as you want of the nutri grubs on top of his salads every morning- use the nutri grubs as lures to the salad bowl - then feed the roaches about an hour later- I would start w/ 10-15 - he should be fed 3 times per day insects -
Yes it is the zillla brand I moved it so it’s not over screen. I bought the nitro grubs and small Dubai roaches online yesterday. I don’t think he going to make it till they get here. I also took out the bigger mill worms and replaced with smaller ones.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it is the zillla brand I moved it so it’s not over screen. I bought the nitro grubs and small Dubai roaches online yesterday. I don’t think he going to make it till they get here. I also took out the bigger mill worms and replaced with smaller ones.
Please no meal worms they are too harsh on babies stomachs-- keep him hydrated and feed small crickets till the others come -- please post a pic of the tail -- I would get a better UVB bulb as well --- the Reptisun is a better bulb -- who did you get the dragon from?

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
image.jpg
Please keep an eye on the tail I noticed it looks like it got nipped maybe -- you dont want it to get it infected please post a better pic of the tail - I want some one to look at it for me
I haven’t seen a nip but it’s still shedding. Looks almost done. He is not moving at all anymore.

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
Please no meal worms they are too harsh on babies stomachs-- keep him hydrated and feed small crickets till the others come -- please post a pic of the tail -- I would get a better UVB bulb as well --- the Reptisun is a better bulb -- who did you get the dragon from?
He took out all the large ones. But he’s not eating anything anyways. Doesn’t even move. Barely opens his eyes. I’ll take out the small ones i put in but I don’t think it’s going to make a difference now. Local pet store. Pet supply plus

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
The 20 gallon tank will need to be upgraded to a large tank I recommend a 75-120 gallon by the time hes 4-5 months old -- you can get used or new I can help w/ the new ones - if you want a used look on craigslist or FB marketplace -- make sure it is good and sanitized if used - and look for one w/ front doors -- they are the best -- you will need to upgrade the UVB as well - I would look at doing that now and get this 24" fixture Zoo Med this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you can use that on the 20 gallon tank now and when you upgrade to a larger tank you will only need to get the 10.0 bulb T 5 here is a link for the fixture
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756
this needs to placed on top of the tank w/ no screen like I posted for the one you have now - same distance - the expiration dates for the 5.0 bulb and the T 8 you have now is 6 months I recommend 5 -- the T 5 bulb that I mentioned is approx one year
The bulb have now Is brand new. I did adjust it so it’s not over screen. I feel like he is on the verge of death. I’ve been considered since because I haven’t seen him eating and not looking very alert, but it wasn’t until yesterday that his condition really went down.

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
I ordered the grubs and roaches but he isn’t eating. He’s not looking good. I hope he can pull through

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
I was going to build a bio- active tank from a 120G with rock wall but I’m not sure he’s going to pull through or if there is anything I can do

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was going to build a bio- active tank from a 120G with rock wall but I’m not sure he’s going to pull through or if there is anything I can do
What about water did you give him water? Can you get some baby food ckn make it a little watery and feed via syringe - you need to add a pinch of calcium d3 feed very slow I would do this now

Bchildree

Hatchling Dragon
What about water did you give him water? Can you get some baby food ckn make it a little watery and feed via syringe - you need to add a pinch of calcium d3 feed very slow I would do this now
I have put bottled water in his tank bowl and every I’ve been I’ve been dropping some at the tip of his nose. He never seemed interested. Yesterday I held him a put the droplets in front of him and it looked like he drank some but I tried again today and he just had his eyes closed and never opened his mouth. Your recommending Chicken flavored baby food by syringe? I could get some and try but what if he doesn’t open his mouth for it, like the water?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have put bottled water in his tank bowl and every I’ve been I’ve been dropping some at the tip of his nose. He never seemed interested. Yesterday I held him a put the droplets in front of him and it looked like he drank some but I tried again today and he just had his eyes closed and never opened his mouth. Your recommending Chicken flavored baby food by syringe? I could get some and try but what if he doesn’t open his mouth for it, like the water?
Try feeding him by spoon first see if he will lick it off you are going to haft to force feed- go in on the side of his mouth you may haft to snip the end but you must feed slow and small amounts- how long has it been since he ate