• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greetings Everyone

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I splurged and got the Thermometer, the Arcadia Light, a 150Watt basking Lamp, and a 100Watt Heat Bulb..

Hopefully this will now be good...
Ok I just looked closer at the 100 watt you don't want the daytime bulb they have a coating on them called neoyodium that is harmful to the eyes- start w/ the your 150 get surface basking temps-- then if your not getting enough exchange the bulb for another exo Terra intense lower wattage maybe 75 or 50 depending on how far it's off

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Make sure you get surface basking temps-- start w/ the 150 watt do not have both going at the same time- you don't want to burn him up - what kind of screen is on the tank? A fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? This is going to determine placement and distance
Well I don't have a screen under the dome. I got a hanger and its hanging about 1 inch into the top of my tank. I measured 12 " to the bottom of the light from the basking spot. I'm curious to see if the 150W makes its hotter, the 75W I had was only getting up to 90 degrees in the tank. I'll take the Heat bulb back today as I have to go back to the store again anyways- the Digital Thermometer didn't have a battery in the package.

Attachments

• 20230211_025222.jpg
    20230211_025222.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
OK so I finally got the digital thermometer in and the temps were way more than the plastic or the digital Hygrometers were saying. Its a good thing the light didn't come on before I got home from work or she might have fried as the digital thermometer sitting on the basking spot was reading 128 degrees. So I raised the lamp out of the tank now and placed it on a wired mesh above the basking area, the temp stayed 97 degrees for a good 25 minutes that I watched it. I think Ive finally achieved the correct set up for Daenarys. Thanks for all the help too.

Attachments

• 20230211_143857_HDR.jpg
    20230211_143857_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230211_143905.jpg
    20230211_143905.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230211_143916_HDR.jpg
    20230211_143916_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK so I finally got the digital thermometer in and the temps were way more than the plastic or the digital Hygrometers were saying. Its a good thing the light didn't come on before I got home from work or she might have fried as the digital thermometer sitting on the basking spot was reading 128 degrees. So I raised the lamp out of the tank now and placed it on a wired mesh above the basking area, the temp stayed 97 degrees for a good 25 minutes that I watched it. I think Ive finally achieved the correct set up for Daenarys. Thanks for all the help too.
What basking bulb are you using? Did you take the Day bulb back ? Please dont use that bulb -- you want no coated bulbs no colored bulbs or off white -- the Exo Terra Intense are good as well as Flukers basking bulb - or Arcadia halogens --

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
What basking bulb are you using? Did you take the Day bulb back ? Please dont use that bulb -- you want no coated bulbs no colored bulbs or off white -- the Exo Terra Intense are good as well as Flukers basking bulb - or Arcadia halogens --
Yes I took the day heat bulb back - and Im only using a 150W Extreme Basking Lamp with the Uvb Hood cover. Temps are solid - 75 on far left, 84 in the middle and 97 at the basking area...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I took the day heat bulb back - and Im only using a 150W Extreme Basking Lamp with the Uvb Hood cover. Temps are solid - 75 on far left, 84 in the middle and 97 at the basking area...
Where is the UVB? Is it top of screen ? inside the tank? basking area temp is good I would work on getting the middle of your tank 90's and that will increase the cool side temp - you want it around 80ish during the day --- 75 is good for night time temps

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Where is the UVB? Is it top of screen ? inside the tank? basking area temp is good I would work on getting the middle of your tank 90's and that will increase the cool side temp - you want it around 80ish during the day --- 75 is good for night time temps
Yea I have the 24 inch Uvb Hood centered in the middle of the tank - its a 75 gallon tank and has about a foot on each side of the Lamp not covered. The light is really good though and the entire tank is lit up now with Uvb light. I could move the basking Log into the middle of the tank and see how the temps adjust? I have it on the far right now. I thought it would be better to have a cool side and a middle temp side and then a hot side.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea I have the 24 inch Uvb Hood centered in the middle of the tank - its a 75 gallon tank and has about a foot on each side of the Lamp not covered. The light is really good though and the entire tank is lit up now with Uvb light. I could move the basking Log into the middle of the tank and see how the temps adjust? I have it on the far right now. I thought it would be better to have a cool side and a middle temp side and then a hot side.
That is what you want -- please have a piece of basking decor directly under your UVB 12-15 inches -- watch the behavior and let me know how it goes -- he should have bright colors -- good appetite -- etc

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
I feel like the tank set up is now complete, temps are good humidity is good, aesthetics good.

I'm curious to know how to get Daenarys to start eating greens. I have tried putting some Green leafy salad in her bowl and dropping a cricket in there to draw her over. I have also tried placing a leaf near her and so far she hasn't ate anything that's green. She simply walked to the Bowl and ate the cricket and ignored the salad. She did take a bite out of one of the live plants I have in the tank but didn't eat it afterwards.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feel like the tank set up is now complete, temps are good humidity is good, aesthetics good.

I'm curious to know how to get Daenarys to start eating greens. I have tried putting some Green leafy salad in her bowl and dropping a cricket in there to draw her over. I have also tried placing a leaf near her and so far she hasn't ate anything that's green. She simply walked to the Bowl and ate the cricket and ignored the salad. She did take a bite out of one of the live plants I have in the tank but didn't eat it afterwards.
Have you tried bsfl ? Those are good salad lures- but you need a glass or ceramic bowl to keep them in it- I can post a link for you to one of those bowls if you want it- bsfl are also a good staple feeder-

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
These are the two bowls I have currently - I've put mealworms in them and they cannot get out. I haven't ordered the Bsfl yet but I will this coming payday.

Attachments

• 20230212_120820_HDR.jpg
    20230212_120820_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 13

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Daeny had her first shedding the last 2 days.. Been rubbing herself all over and skin is everywhere. I heard they dont eat a lot during this time but shes had a healthy appetite and eating 10+ crickets a day. Today is payday for me so Im going to order those Bsfl now...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Daeny had her first shedding the last 2 days.. Been rubbing herself all over and skin is everywhere. I heard they dont eat a lot during this time but shes had a healthy appetite and eating 10+ crickets a day. Today is payday for me so Im going to order those Bsfl now...
10 crickets / day is not enough -- she should be eating anywhere from 20-25 per feeding if shes eating 2 times per day---- and yes shedding can make them crabby and throw the appetite off -- is she eating any salads?

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
10 crickets / day is not enough -- she should be eating anywhere from 20-25 per feeding if shes eating 2 times per day---- and yes shedding can make them crabby and throw the appetite off -- is she eating any salads?
NO Salads yet that Ive seen. I put some in every morning before I go to work. And she only eats 5-6 at most when i feed her crickets. Then she goes back to her basking spot. She will walk down to where I feed her and eat then go back up. She is pooping regularly though si I think shes ok. I have the Bsfls in route so we will see what happens.. The temps at her Basking is a solid 99.1 now on the digital Thermometer and the humidity is a solid 10-15%.

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Got the Bsfls today and tried to give her some at her afternoon feeding and she was not interested. In fact shes not been eating much at all the past 2 days since molting. Nothings changed, the temps are good, I guess shes just not hungry - still pooping everyday but not eating much ...

Attachments

• 20230221_150734.jpg
    20230221_150734.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Got the Bsfls today and tried to give her some at her afternoon feeding and she was not interested. In fact shes not been eating much at all the past 2 days since molting. Nothings changed, the temps are good, I guess shes just not hungry - still pooping everyday but not eating much ...
The shedding will affect the appetite keep offering the BSFL on the salads --- your humidity needs to be raised - its too low if your using a digital probe hygrometer -- if its an analog its off -- you want optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70% -- please get a digital probe place it on the back center wall of the tank -- then if its under 20% get a small humidifier and place it next to the tank - I have one going now between my two tanks and its reading around 23% --- it will go up in the night which is normal -- humidity helps w/ shedding --- as long as shes eating that is good -- between the shedding and the relocation stress that is causing the appetite to be off -- you might want to try and increase the surface basking temps a little more up to 105 or so up to 110

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
The shedding will affect the appetite keep offering the BSFL on the salads --- your humidity needs to be raised - its too low if your using a digital probe hygrometer -- if its an analog its off -- you want optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70% -- please get a digital probe place it on the back center wall of the tank -- then if its under 20% get a small humidifier and place it next to the tank - I have one going now between my two tanks and its reading around 23% --- it will go up in the night which is normal -- humidity helps w/ shedding --- as long as shes eating that is good -- between the shedding and the relocation stress that is causing the appetite to be off -- you might want to try and increase the surface basking temps a little more up to 105 or so up to 110
I have a digital Hygrometer - the humidity is at 30% right now - usually stays lower during the day when the heta is hot - it was 101.8 today after i snapped that picture .. I also have 2 non digital Hygrometers and they read 10 degrees higher than the digital one for Humidty.. Put 6 Bsfls on her salad and shes not interested as of yet ... Just sitting on her perch sunbathing !!!! Ohh is there any special instructions for the Bsfls ? I have them in the dark in my tank stand - are they better in the fridge ?

Attachments

• 20230221_165316.jpg
    20230221_165316.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a digital Hygrometer - the humidity is at 30% right now - usually stays lower during the day when the heta is hot - it was 101.8 today after i snapped that picture .. I also have 2 non digital Hygrometers and they read 10 degrees higher than the digital one for Humidty.. Put 6 Bsfls on her salad and shes not interested as of yet ... Just sitting on her perch sunbathing !!!! Ohh is there any special instructions for the Bsfls ? I have them in the dark in my tank stand - are they better in the fridge ?
You can put them in the fridge but you will need to take them out approx 10 -15 min before feeding so they are moving -- the cold puts them in a dormant stage --good temps - just keep offering the BSFL to her - are you feeding another insect as well? The humidity is good w / your digital probe hygrometer

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Yea its all good as far as i can tell - just no appetite lately.. I have crickets as well and shes not eating many at all... HUmidity is like 20- 30% during the day when the heat is HOT .. At night it goes up to around 40 - 43 ..