• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greetings Everyone

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
My name is David and am a new owner of a baby bearded Dragon. Of course I have some questions but I will first read some and see if I can find answers already discussed .. SO far so good - funny little creatures. Ive been a fish fanatic for a long time but after my last water change that whacked all my fish - I drained my tank and now have the Dragon.. Anyhow I look forward to reading some more info on these guys/girls and sharing my own experiences..

Dave

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My name is David and am a new owner of a baby bearded Dragon. Of course I have some questions but I will first read some and see if I can find answers already discussed .. SO far so good - funny little creatures. Ive been a fish fanatic for a long time but after my last water change that whacked all my fish - I drained my tank and now have the Dragon.. Anyhow I look forward to reading some more info on these guys/girls and sharing my own experiences..

Dave
Welcome Dave --- please ask after reading some of the post - we are here to help

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Ok going to try to add some pics ..

Attachments

• 20230120_161634.jpg
    20230120_161634.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • 20230208_151013_HDR.jpg
    20230208_151013_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230208_151033_HDR.jpg
    20230208_151033_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 20230206_125302.jpg
    20230206_125302.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
So Ive read some stuff and now I have questions.

Im using my old 75-gallon fish tank as Daenarys's new home. She (pet store told me its a female) seems to enjoy the space and roams the entire tank. When I first put it together I had the branches in the middle. I soon found out its easier to feed if I moved it all back and gave her room to move around and she sees the crickets better when I put them in. Ive also bought her some small mealworms but so far she only wants to eat crickets. She did bite one of the live plants I put in the tank but didnt eat it. I have a small water dish but Ive yet to see her drink from it. Ive had her for 12 days and Ive given her a bath 2 times. She does drink some of the bath water I noticed.

I have 2 hydrometers in the tank atm and on the Basking area its a steady 95 degrees at about 12 inches. The other side goes down to around 74. I have a Uvb and a Heatlight combo lamp . I also have the old fishtank light which spans the top of the tank. I did notice with the fish tank light on the Humidity goes over 40% so Im turning it off as of now, and about to head to the pet store to get a reptile light. WIth the Uvb and heat light on the humidity stays betweem 34- 38%.

I LAUGHED MY ARSE OFF - when I came home and saw her sleeping on the Aloe Vera tree because it was so cute..

Attachments

• 20230209_132501_HDR.jpg
    20230209_132501_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 25

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So Ive read some stuff and now I have questions.

Im using my old 75-gallon fish tank as Daenarys's new home. She (pet store told me its a female) seems to enjoy the space and roams the entire tank. When I first put it together I had the branches in the middle. I soon found out its easier to feed if I moved it all back and gave her room to move around and she sees the crickets better when I put them in. Ive also bought her some small mealworms but so far she only wants to eat crickets. She did bite one of the live plants I put in the tank but didnt eat it. I have a small water dish but Ive yet to see her drink from it. Ive had her for 12 days and Ive given her a bath 2 times. She does drink some of the bath water I noticed.

I have 2 hydrometers in the tank atm and on the Basking area its a steady 95 degrees at about 12 inches. The other side goes down to around 74. I have a Uvb and a Heatlight combo lamp . I also have the old fishtank light which spans the top of the tank. I did notice with the fish tank light on the Humidity goes over 40% so Im turning it off as of now, and about to head to the pet store to get a reptile light. WIth the Uvb and heat light on the humidity stays betweem 34- 38%.

I LAUGHED MY ARSE OFF - when I came home and saw her sleeping on the Aloe Vera tree because it was so cute..
Optimal humidity is 40-50% taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer on the back center wall of the tank -- heat combo light has a what in it? Colored bulb? Or a ceramic heat emitter ? If that UVB is a coil please get rid of it -- reptile light?? they sleep in the craziest places and positions -- please no more baths for now - its going to stress her out too much --- drop water on her nose about 2 times week for now --- she needs to adjust to her tank and surroundings and please NO more meal worms the exoskeleton is too harsh on babies stomachs --- please feed salads every morning http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated --- she needs to be started on salads now - you can get some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com and you will need a ceramic bowl to keep them in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
let me know if you need more help --- the long tube fixture has certain placement and distance - screen on the tank determines this

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
So I couldn't find a new lower wattage fish tank light at any of the stores I went to today so Ill have to try amazon.

I have the lamp in the picture below with 2 - 75W bulbs. One is a Infared and the other is a Basking light. All 3 are on a timer - I have the infared come on at 6:30am, the Basking at 7:15am, and the tank light (unplugged now) was coming on around 11am. I have the infared off at 6pm, the tank light at 7pm, and the Basking off at 9pm.

I'm tired of buying crickets already !!! Today I bought 10 and she ate 7 of them when I fed her. Tomorrow I'm going to put some greens in her bowl and I have a fresh squash I'm going to cut into tiny squares too. Didn't know about the worms - they are now in the garden - the pet store lady advised me they are great for Beardies...

edit - spelling

Attachments

• 20230209_171858_HDR.jpg
    20230209_171858_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230209_171258_HDR.jpg
    20230209_171258_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230209_171258_HDR.jpg
    20230209_171258_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I couldn't find a new lower wattage fish tank light at any of the stores I went to today so Ill have to try amazon.

I have the lamp in the picture below with 2 - 75W bulbs. One is a Infared and the other is a Basking light. All 3 are on a timer - I have the infared come on at 6:30am, the Basking at 7:15am, and the tank light (unplugged now) was coming on around 11am. I have the infared off at 6pm, the tank light at 7pm, and the Basking off at 9pm.

I'm tired of buying crickets already !!! Today I bought 10 and she ate 7 of them when I fed her. Tomorrow I'm going to put some greens in her bowl and I have a fresh squash I'm going to cut into tiny squares too. Didn't know about the worms - they are now in the garden - the pet store lady advised me they are great for Beardies...

edit - spelling
Please get rid of that red bulb they can cause eye damage and keep your dragon up all night- dragons eyes are very sensitive to light - the thrive is fine as long as it's keeping surface basking temps to 105-110-- you need a long tube fixture ASAP - you want one of these 3 for a 40+ gallon tank a 24" zoo med this come w/ a 5.0 bulb used for aquariums you want a reptile bulb this one 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs
This one you can find at PetSmart you want the 24 watt 12% bulb-- https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...s/arcadia-reptile-prot5-uv-b-kit-5312302.html
Or this one you will need the reptisun bulb I posted above you want the 2ft or 24" fixture
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
When you get the uvb please post back on here I will help you place it for your tank placement and distance is determined by the screen

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Please get rid of that red bulb they can cause eye damage and keep your dragon up all night- dragons eyes are very sensitive to light - the thrive is fine as long as it's keeping surface basking temps to 105-110-- you need a long tube fixture ASAP - you want one of these 3 for a 40+ gallon tank a 24" zoo med this come w/ a 5.0 bulb used for aquariums you want a reptile bulb this one 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs
Wow - didnt know that - the lady at the pet stores telling me all kind of bad info. Red lights now out and I'll get another white light tommrrow. I do have 2 Hygrometers in the tank. The one is in the middle about the same height as the basking area and it reads 75 degrees. The other one is on the side near the basking area and its reading 90 degrees. I measured the lamp to hang 12 inches above the basking area as thats what I read online, and I wasnt sure how hot it was going to be. Should I lower it another inch and see if I can get it to 100 degrees on that side of the tank? Ive never seen it get hotter than 90 in the 2 weeks Ive been set up.

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
the thrive is fine as long as it's keeping surface basking temps to 105-110-- you need a long tube fixture ASAP - you want one of these 3 for a 40+ gallon tank a 24" zoo med this come w/ a 5.0 bulb used bulb they can cause eye damage and keep your dragon up all night- dragons eyes are very sensitive to for aquariums you want a reptile bulb this one 22" reptisun
10.0 T 5
So that Hood Light I have now isnt going to work ?? Thats what I was asking about the reptile light. I couldnt find a bulb that would fit it and wasnt sure if they make a special Reptile Bulb ? I have a 40 watt light bulb in it now but its causing way too much humidity when I plug it in.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So that Hood Light I have now isnt going to work ?? Thats what I was asking about the reptile light. I couldnt find a bulb that would fit it and wasnt sure if they make a special Reptile Bulb ? I have a 40 watt light bulb in it now but its causing way too much humidity when I plug it in.
The Zoo Med Intense basking bulb is good but it must be keeping surface basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer--- this is imperative --- stick on thermometers and hygrometers are not accurate - please get 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate basking temps --- place the probe where he sits for basking 10 min or so then read the temp go from there ---- please do not listen to pet store people most do not have a clue as how to set up tanks and often give bad info and end up killing the dragon or getting them really sick------------ please look at the fixtures I posted above and pick one of those they are all good UVB's --- he needs this in order to ward of MBD and other illnesses --he will eventually quit eating all together as this is how they absorb / synthesize Calcium D3 hes ingesting--- the the optimal humidity in the tank should be 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70% - take the probe on the hygrometer place in the center back wall of the tank ---

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
The Zoo Med Intense basking bulb is good but it must be keeping surface basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer--- this is imperative --- stick on thermometers and hygrometers are not accurate - please get 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate basking temps --- place the probe where he sits for basking 10 min or so then read the temp go from there ---- please do not listen to pet store people most do not have a clue as how to set up tanks and often give bad info and end up killing the dragon or getting them really sick------------ please look at the fixtures I posted above and pick one of those they are all good UVB's --- he needs this in order to ward of MBD and other illnesses --he will eventually quit eating all together as this is how they absorb / synthesize Calcium D3 hes ingesting--- the the optimal humidity in the tank should be 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70% - take the probe on the hygrometer place in the center back wall of the tank ---
It'll have to be next payday - I've spent 300 dollars on all this so far and the wife isn't so happy with my new found toy atm. : ) But I am going to get the light bulb and order some of those Bsfl's.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It'll have to be next payday - I've spent 300 dollars on all this so far and the wife isn't so happy with my new found toy atm. : ) But I am going to get the light bulb and order some of those Bsfl's.
You have a nice set up and he is adorable in the picture -- but we want to keep him healthy so getting the UVB and correct surface basking temps will keep him that way --- please post when you get it

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
You have a nice set up and he is adorable in the picture -- but we want to keep him healthy so getting the UVB and correct surface basking temps will keep him that way --- please post when you get it
Yea going today after work to get the Uvb light..

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
So I got the UVB bulb and a Digital Hygrometer and a package of dandelion seeds for a treat today. The New Digital Hygrometer is saying the Humidity is at 26% as opposed to the 2 non digital ones that say 40 and 38%. The temperature in the tank has dropped to 77 degrees now since I took the infared out. The mini combo deep dome lamp is at 12" above the basking stump. The instructions say anywhere between 4 -16 inches above the basking area. I still need to purchase a Terrarium Hood as I cannot find a Light that will fit the one I currently have that was for the fish. Also can anyone tell me if thats the best spot for the digital Hygrometer to be? I have it right at basking level on the back of the tank.

Attachments

• 20230210_131712.jpg
    20230210_131712.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230210_165610.jpg
    20230210_165610.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I got the UVB bulb and a Digital Hygrometer and a package of dandelion seeds for a treat today. The New Digital Hygrometer is saying the Humidity is at 26% as opposed to the 2 non digital ones that say 40 and 38%. The temperature in the tank has dropped to 77 degrees now since I took the infared out. The mini combo deep dome lamp is at 12" above the basking stump. The instructions say anywhere between 4 -16 inches above the basking area. I still need to purchase a Terrarium Hood as I cannot find a Light that will fit the one I currently have that was for the fish. Also can anyone tell me if thats the best spot for the digital Hygrometer to be? I have it right at basking level on the back of the tank.
Ok please take the coil uvb back those are a health hazzard- you want a long tube fixture-- please look at my previous post at the top as the uvb you want- the one you got will kill your dragon- the hygrometer is good along w/ the dandelion seeds drop them in his salads- but please shut the coil uvb off-- hygrometer center back wall it will read the whole tank

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
One last thing - if I have a Terrarium Hood with a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 - would I need to keep the Mini combo deep dome lamp ? Because the heat is lower now than it was yesterday when I removed the Infared Bulb.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One last thing - if I have a Terrarium Hood with a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 - would I need to keep the Mini combo deep dome lamp ? Because the heat is lower now than it was yesterday when I removed the Infared Bulb.
Please get a surface basking temp w/a digital probe thermometer then use the dome if you haft to get the temps to where they need to be --- you need a 24" fixture for the 22" bulb --- Zoo Med or Arcadia Pro T 5 24 watt will fit that bulb -- Pet Smart carries the Arcadia -- Zoo Med you may haft to order on line or the Sunblaster Nano Tech takes that bulb -- please look at the post at the top of the forum

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I splurged and got the Thermometer, the Arcadia Light, a 150Watt basking Lamp, and a 100Watt Heat Bulb..

Hopefully this will now be good...

Attachments

• 20230210_194124_HDR.jpg
    20230210_194124_HDR.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 21

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I splurged and got the Thermometer, the Arcadia Light, a 150Watt basking Lamp, and a 100Watt Heat Bulb..

Hopefully this will now be good...
Make sure you get surface basking temps-- start w/ the 150 watt do not have both going at the same time- you don't want to burn him up - what kind of screen is on the tank? A fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? This is going to determine placement and distance