• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Emergency bearded dragon broken back

Stonetoady

Hatchling Dragon
Hi,

Four days ago my bearded dragon fell from around 10 feet and broke his back. When I ran to him his arms and legs were at his side and he was shaking. He had a massive lump on his back but after I picked him up it shrunk massively. I realized his back legs and tail were not working. He was stressed at first but later he began acting normal and even tried to eat. Took him to the vet the next day and had him emergency inspected. I couldn’t afford everything they wanted to do to him so they suggested euthanasia :(. But as of that point he was acting fine aside from inability to move back and tail, so I took him home. Unfortunately however, these past two days have been worse. He will randomly freak out and start biting himself, and his tail is darkening and he’s showing signs of stress. He pooped yesterday as well as drinking water. But I’m concerned for him showing stress now and wonder if I should just euthanize him :(.

Attachments

• 661B2753-4174-4BA4-A97B-30FD41D66C0D.jpeg
    661B2753-4174-4BA4-A97B-30FD41D66C0D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 42

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

Four days ago my bearded dragon fell from around 10 feet and broke his back. When I ran to him his arms and legs were at his side and he was shaking. He had a massive lump on his back but after I picked him up it shrunk massively. I realized his back legs and tail were not working. He was stressed at first but later he began acting normal and even tried to eat. Took him to the vet the next day and had him emergency inspected. I couldn’t afford everything they wanted to do to him so they suggested euthanasia :(. But as of that point he was acting fine aside from inability to move back and tail, so I took him home. Unfortunately however, these past two days have been worse. He will randomly freak out and start biting himself, and his tail is darkening and he’s showing signs of stress. He pooped yesterday as well as drinking water. But I’m concerned for him showing stress now and wonder if I should just euthanize him :(.
I am so sorry to hear about your dragon -- did the vet take X rays to see if the back was broken? Is he using the back legs now? How is he getting around the tank ? Is he able to get to his basking area and his UVB? What kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture ? He is in pain and the vet should of given some sort of pain killer - I dont know what to tell you to do except make him as comfortable as you can --- set up rolled up dish towels in the tank so her doesnt haft to climb to get to his basking area -- lower the UVB if your using a long tube fixture --- the bulb is going to determine how low it needs to be T 5 or a T 8 --- biting himeself as to where or what part ? I am going to flag the post to Tracie our vet tech mod on here ---- please answer the questions I have asked and if you have any blood work or X rays that were done please post them or get them from the vet so Tracie can see them

Stonetoady

Hatchling Dragon
I am so sorry to hear about your dragon -- did the vet take X rays to see if the back was broken? Is he using the back legs now? How is he getting around the tank ? Is he able to get to his basking area and his UVB? What kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture ? He is in pain and the vet should of given some sort of pain killer - I dont know what to tell you to do except make him as comfortable as you can --- set up rolled up dish towels in the tank so her doesnt haft to climb to get to his basking area -- lower the UVB if your using a long tube fixture --- the bulb is going to determine how low it needs to be T 5 or a T 8 --- biting himeself as to where or what part ? I am going to flag the post to Tracie our vet tech mod on here ---- please answer the questions I have asked and if you have any blood work or X rays that were done please post them or get them from the vet so Tracie can see them
Unfortunately nothing was done beyond first examination. I don’t have a lot of money and even having him looked at was already $200. He has a 100 watt uva/uvb bulb. He isn’t using his back legs, they move sometimes but it’s only involuntary. I help him around his tank since if he flips he can’t get back over, I reorganized it to reduce him falling but even if he glass surfs he can flip. I’ve had eyes on him any time he’s awake since it happened. And he just freaks out and bites everywhere, normally he reaches around and curls his body, this leads to him biting his front limbs usually. And thank you, I’ll try to make it as easy for him as possible

Stonetoady

Hatchling Dragon
Here’s a screenshot of how it looks when he has his freakouts

Attachments

• 053A29D4-BB7D-42D8-B401-228AD90960E4.png
    053A29D4-BB7D-42D8-B401-228AD90960E4.png
    9.4 MB · Views: 40

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Unfortunately nothing was done beyond first examination. I don’t have a lot of money and even having him looked at was already $200. He has a 100 watt uva/uvb bulb. He isn’t using his back legs, they move sometimes but it’s only involuntary. I help him around his tank since if he flips he can’t get back over, I reorganized it to reduce him falling but even if he glass surfs he can flip. I’ve had eyes on him any time he’s awake since it happened. And he just freaks out and bites everywhere, normally he reaches around and curls his body, this leads to him biting his front limbs usually. And thank you, I’ll try to make it as easy for him as possible
What brand of uvb/ UVA? Are you using a mvb?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have never heard of that brand - but you need a good mvb- mega ray- please unobstruct it No screen- uvb is critical for dragons and good ones at that- we always recommend another uvb a long tube fixture-- but for now I need to check distance for a 100 watt I think mega rays are 80 watt and 160 but I need to make sure - I have flagged the post to the vet tech - she can help you w/ the medical aspect
@Drache613

Stonetoady

Hatchling Dragon
I have never heard of that brand - but you need a good mvb- mega ray- please unobstruct it No screen- uvb is critical for dragons and good ones at that- we always recommend another uvb a long tube fixture-- but for now I need to check distance for a 100 watt I think mega rays are 80 watt and 160 but I need to make sure - I have flagged the post to the vet tech - she can help you w/ the medical aspect
@Drache613
Which one would you recommend? If you could send me everything I would need that you trust to be effective for him I would appreciate it

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Which one would you recommend? If you could send me everything I would need that you trust to be effective for him I would appreciate it
Surfacing basking temps will determine the wattage - do you have digital probe thermometers? I will check on bulb first thing in the morning - how big is the tank ?

Stonetoady

Hatchling Dragon
Surfacing basking temps will determine the wattage - do you have digital probe thermometers? I will check on bulb first thing in the morning - how big is the tank ?
40 gallon breeder. And unfortunately I don’t know what that means, where should I measure the temperature from? Where he is when he basks? The thermometer I have is reptizoo

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I heard back from some one I reached out to and she recommended euthanizing and said he was in severe pain - you can see what Tracie says as well -

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
40 gallon breeder. And unfortunately I don’t know what that means, where should I measure the temperature from? Where he is when he basks? The thermometer I have is reptizoo
I need Tracie to advise on this before I have you go change everything out- I am so sorry

Stonetoady

Hatchling Dragon
I heard back from some one I reached out to and she recommended euthanizing and said he was in severe pain - you can see what Tracie says as well -
I need Tracie to advise on this before I have you go change everything out- I am so sorry
Oh no… My poor baby… If it’s best for him I can take him to be euthanized tomorrow…

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh no… My poor baby… If it’s best for him I can take him to be euthanized tomorrow…
I want Tracie to give her advice- but I don't like the fact the dragon is in so much pain- :(

Stonetoady

Hatchling Dragon
I want Tracie to give her advice- but I don't like the fact the dragon is in so much pain- :(
Same, I’m literally sitting in my e-mail refreshing waiting for a message… aside from when he’s doing the freak out trying to bite himself, he acts pretty normal and doesn’t show signs of stress at least…

Latest posts