• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Considering a dragon.... Questions.

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
Here are some responses from the owner. Our original conversation made it seem that they were more willing to let him go, but that was HER thoughts, not the kiddo. So we'll see what the kiddo J decides. :)

When she says the percentage thing, I had just mentioned that I'd read that adults should shoot for 20%bug/80% veg mix and wondered what their mix was.

I'm also not clear on his age. I did clarify that the all in one light was heat and UVB.

We'll see how he looks next Saturday! I'll see if I can get some pictures. If this doesn't work out I'll likely eventually get one for myself anyway. I've totally hooked myself by doing all of this research. Haha

J is not the one wanting to re-home…I am. I am trying to nudge him into letting him go, but it’s not a simple process. He has been paying more attention to him lately, so the line is not as clear. I feel he could have a richer life with someone who was more focused than J…not a detail-oriented guy. I think you would be an A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. lizard mama. But it might take a little patience for J to come to that decision.

Your questions, answered, though! ;-)
It is a BOY, Calvin.

We have a dual overhead light, but one seemed to always burn out very quickly, so we now have the all-in-one ceramic light.

He’s quite social, but a little lazy. ;-) Will eat live roaches and crickets from you. Active during the day. Jackson sometimes will take him out in the summer in an outdoor play area.

He DOES eat veggies…greens, mostly. Have to watch the spicy greens or kale… I feed Calvin roaches whenever I can, but would say his bug consumption HAS declined in lieu of veggies doing the trick. You can do dry bugs with him. He’s pretty easy, really.

This is where I know you’d be a better parent to him. In our life, he doesn’t have as focused attention to determine percentages. Just food. ;p I know we could visit. I already told him that was likely the case. ;-) We’ll keep working on it!! He IS doing almost all care…but I still end up making sure his light is on for the day (12 hours per day). Jackson’s the one, I must note, though, who decided to start doing the light DURING the day so he was active during the DAY, and more INTERACTIVE. And, he was right.

It’s looking good, though! I think after sharing your enthusiasm with him, he’s seeing Calvin will be so happy! ;-)​

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well I hope that you get to have Calvin sounds like he would have a better life with the attention he needs..
A few things to point out... She says a "Dual overhead light: now have an all in one ceramic light.." This would need to be fixed with a long tube style UVB like Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 or the like, the other part would be a basking bulb.. There isn't a all in one ceramic light, there is a ceramic heating element that gives off heat and no light... So I'm not sure what UVB he's been getting.

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
What kind of potential issues would arise from that? If this does happen, should I just do a vet appointment no matter what?

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
What kind of potential issues would arise from that? If this does happen, should I just do a vet appointment no matter what?
id do an initial vet check anyways just because some vets wont do appointments without the initial normal check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well I hope that things work out for you with Calvin sounds like you would be a good fit, if not wit
Yes for sure you would want to have him vetted, If he's not had any UVB then he could have MBD where his bones don't form correctly and he's not getting proper and needed synthesis of vitamins

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks! Sounds like they had uvb for a while but then the bulbs blew a lot so she went to the “all-in-one?”

Is it common for bulbs to blow a lot?

I meet him this Saturday.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks! Sounds like they had uvb for a while but then the bulbs blew a lot so she went to the “all-in-one?”

not common much at all besides the fact that you should replace them every 6 months at anywhere from $17-$30 each bulb. ive never had one “blow out” just needs to be replaced due to losing effectiveness

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

They may be saying they have an MVB (mercury vapor bulb) these are basking and UVB they are very expensive..

It's important that the fixtures in which the bulbs are placed in are made for the bulb being used. I use ceramic based fixtures (I use chicken brooder lamps as they are meant for long term heat bulbs) this is my basking fixtures and I use Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 fixture/bulb for my UVB these only get replaced 1 time a year. T8 bulbs need to be replaced every 6 months..

Some people have bad luck with basking bulbs blowing may be the wattage vs fixture, may be moving or hitting of the bulb when getting in/out of tank...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
To answer you question way back, I feel like bio for bearded dragons is a very tricky thing and not something you do until you have years of experience with dragons and with bio active tanks. My other tanks are animals that need higher humidity and don't eat plants so it's very easy to fill the tank with plants and keep them watered and the animals are happy and healthy. I'm just not comfortable yet with doing it for my bearded dragons.

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you all for the information, I really appreciate it.

I've used T5HO bulbs for my aquariums in the past and I've only had one blow out. You had to replace them every 6 months or so because they'd get dim... I eventually replaced with LED so I wouldn't have to replace. ;) I know it's not the same, but I'm betting she just had the wrong fixture then?

Hopefully she is using the MVB. *crossing fingers* I think they are trying to do things right, and are mostly doing things right. So hopefully he's healthy.
I emailed my current vet to see if they treat reptiles.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you all for the information, I really appreciate it.

I've used T5HO bulbs for my aquariums in the past and I've only had one blow out. You had to replace them every 6 months or so because they'd get dim... I eventually replaced with LED so I wouldn't have to replace. ;) I know it's not the same, but I'm betting she just had the wrong fixture then?

Hopefully she is using the MVB. *crossing fingers* I think they are trying to do things right, and are mostly doing things right. So hopefully he's healthy.
I emailed my current vet to see if they treat reptiles.
LEDs can only be used for plants, not reptiles im pretty sure. cause when you do a bioactive you have to have a UVB and an LED for plant growth

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
Random question on food. I am looking at the nutritional info on the various bugs and it seems that earthworms are pretty nutritious, I just don't see them talked about as much. Is there a reason for this?

Also, everyone talks about the dubia roaches as a staple bug. But the Phoenix worms/Soldier fly larvae have a lot of calcuim and don't need to be dusted. Why aren't they touted more? I definitely see talk about them and recommendations to feed them, but not as much as the roaches. Are they more expensive, or....?

Thanks.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Random question on food. I am looking at the nutritional info on the various bugs and it seems that earthworms are pretty nutritious, I just don't see them talked about as much. Is there a reason for this?

Also, everyone talks about the dubia roaches as a staple bug. But the Phoenix worms/Soldier fly larvae have a lot of calcuim and don't need to be dusted. Why aren't they touted more? I definitely see talk about them and recommendations to feed them, but not as much as the roaches. Are they more expensive, or....?

Thanks.
earthworms are hard to get free of parasites or chemicals. BSFL are excellent feeders but yes they are pricey just you would need to feed quite a few..Dubia are fantastic feeders that retain nutrients in them 72 hrs making them great.. Most that feed dubia breed them to combat the price of them.

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
Ahhhh.... parasites. That makes sense. I was thinking since I don't use pesticides it'd be easy to dig up a free meal from time to time. ;)

Regarding prepared food like pellets and the Repashy bug and veggie options. How often do people usually add this to the feeding routine? I've seen mention of quite a few people mixing both with the salads, esp. if a dragon is being picky about eating something.

Thanks again for your patience with all of my questions. :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ahhhh.... parasites. That makes sense. I was thinking since I don't use pesticides it'd be easy to dig up a free meal from time to time. ;)

Regarding prepared food like pellets and the Repashy bug and veggie options. How often do people usually add this to the feeding routine? I've seen mention of quite a few people mixing both with the salads, esp. if a dragon is being picky about eating something.

Thanks again for your patience with all of my questions. :)
The pellets are pretty worthless they have lots of colors and preservatives. Now the Repashy items are fantastic! they have a repashy calcium plus that you can use daily

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
OK, I'll ignore the pellets, then - money saved. I use Repashy fish foods and they're also excellent, so I know I can trust them. The calcium plus is definitely on my list. Just wasn't sure if/how often people used the bug pie and the veggie one in addition to the "real" food.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use Repashy Grub Pie every now and then also Veggie Pie. If fed too much they can cause runny stool. I've tried Super Veg with mine but they don't seem to like it.