• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A broader Spectrum

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Janie you talk about me like I'm a entrepreneur. I can't take credit for all of my techniques because I didn't create them. I've learned them.

Brian, I didn't make that post because of two reasons. 1. It would have started an argument that would of ended up being about individual keepers and not the animals. I've been down that road before and its exhausting :) 2. It takes me awhile to type. I could write 500 words about light bulbs and not even get in to UVB yet :)

Gina,

My husbandry practices are essentially about choices. I simply offer my animals more choices. I try to offer them choices with things they understand. I don't feel beardies have the same emotions that many keepers believe they have. I feel my animals don't like anything (not by the definition of the word anyway). They simply associate things with a positive experience. So I don't offer my animals a rock, branch, or towel and think "he will like that". I try and offer things that the dragon will use behaviourally for needs.

I ask myself questions. When I see a dragon do something like dig. I don't think "he must like to dig". I think " what need is he trying to achieve behaviourally". I first have to find out what would happen if I let him dig :) I give him something to dig in and see he created a burrow. I then ask myself "What does a burrow offer"? Its a tight, dark, humid area. So I think about how that translates to needs.

I basically do that with every aspect of husbandry :) To answer a couple of questions, I spot clean my enclosures daily and vacuum out the top layer weekly. I add more dirt every few years. The bacteria in the soil, coupled with bugs, do a real good job cleaning. If the dragon poops in the morning, theres not much left to clean when I get home(about half).

I can create this type of environment in pretty much any size enclosure. I can have 130 basking temps down to a 80 cool side in a ten gallon tank, easily.

Beardie breeders are so secretive about their husbandry practices on forums because they have to be. If someone goes against the grain on a forum, they get attacked by the masses. It would be a poor business move to argue with potential clients or have your name smeared. Future clients could read it and make a decision based on the majority opinion.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Now Tim... Honestly, you just don't give yourself enough credit... sure you learned this.. but you continually work to better the living environments of your animals.. Credit !
You already know I think what you are doing, is quite fascinating.. what else do we talk about ;) lol
Just my two cents worth... for what they are worth... ;)
Janie.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have rescued Niles in the past. Fascinateing creatures but I would never keep one to adulthood. VORACOUS eaters crafty and paranoid as all hell. Fast to. But hey when your 7 foot long full grown you really dont have to be a nice or cuddly animal.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Dragonmom,

You don't have to have a 7 foot lizard to enjoy a monitor. They come in all colors and sizes.

I used to own a Water and Savannah Monitor. I killed the Water, then got a Savannah 4-5 years later, then sold it a couple years after that. I now own Ackies. The Ackies are my favorite. The Niles, Waters, and Albigs make for a great trophy lizard, but take up tons of space, food and electricity. Not to mention they are wild caught. Ackies require beardie sized enclosures and exhibit all the behaviours of a monitor, but in a nice small package :) Not to mention they are captive bred :) You can get yellow ackies for $100-$200 and reds for $250-$300. Heres a couple pics of my reds.

DSC02215.jpg

DSC02217-1.jpg

I added water to the substrate that morning and they were busy excavating their burrows. You can see how the ackie on the right is caked in dirt :) These are fun little monitors. Heres a older pic of one of my ackies. In this pic you can see its colors.

DSC02048.jpg

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
They can be handled, but they are not as calm as beardies. Beardies will just sit there, where as ackies want to go. They are more curious than a beardie.

They have a higher feeding response than beardies. I recommend tong feeding over hand feeding. Not that they have a powerful bite. Its just a little scary when they come at you at 100 mph :)

They hide more than beardies, but are more active also (hard to explain :) ). They are my favorite lizards of my collection. I don't have a hard time buying other species of reptiles, but I have a real hard time not buying dwarf monitors. What saves me from buying them is the price tag on the species I like :)

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The guy who wrote the reptile magazine article is Robyn Markland of Pro Exotics.. They have a really good website with tons of info.

I offer them the stacks, but slightly modified. His variations, and mine, are all variations of Retes Stacks, created by Frank Retes of Goanna Ranch.

I don't have any pics of the ackies' stacks handy, but I use the same stacks for my beardies. What the stacks do is allow the animal to hide at different temps and humidity levels. My angled boards allows the animal to decide how tight he feels the need to wedge in. The dirt under the bottom boards is where the beardies can get the most humid hides excavated to their liking. Its where they brumate.

In this pic you can see the beardie started to dig a burrow for brumation.
DSC01776.jpg

In this pic she closed of the front of the burrow, sealing herself inside. The line is the mark where her tail went in. I believe they brumate like this for two reasons. 1. It protects them from predators like snakes. 2. It helps keep the temps and humidity constant. The humidity means the beardie dehydrates slower. It allows them to stay in there for months.
DSC01775.jpg

This pic is them hanging around the boards.
DSC02020.jpg

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Tim,
Can we talk more in depth about this over the next few weeks? I'd like to outline for you what i've done as well as the results of my experiments. On and off, i've tried this for roughly 10+ years, but just can't seem to find the right combination. I think it's very important to examine the associated needs of the animal. And I also think that our thoughts concerning what they may or may not feel are seriously way off balance.

Dragonmom
The fiberous tissue was attached to one kidney, the liver and a section of the intestinal tract. It was tumerous in nature and contained the same DNA compound as a follicle.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
Hey Tim,
Can we talk more in depth about this over the next few weeks? I'd like to outline for you what i've done as well as the results of my experiments. On and off, i've tried this for roughly 10+ years, but just can't seem to find the right combination. I think it's very important to examine the associated needs of the animal. And I also think that our thoughts concerning what they may or may not feel are seriously way off balance.

Gina,

If you guys are talking about husbandry practices can i crash the party and be included? I'd be quite interested in those aspects as well as well as your results.

Francis

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Guys,

Has anybody looked into UV lighting into great detail, not just what the manufacturers tell you or caresheets or what reptileUV.com says. Actual self testing on what lights offer out there.

Cheers,

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
theres been groups of people wit UV meters that do studies but other than that, i dont think so

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've got a UV meter, but all i do is check my own stuff. I've never been much into the whole light mechanics. I follow the guides.

Francis.............of course you can. Suits me fine. This is taking me a bit of time, I'm a little busy atm, both at work and home, but I'm working on a file with all my info in it so i can just cut and paste, or email it. years of trial and error make way for some long winded stuff.

Latest posts