• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about Ziggy ... not eating greens, trouble moving

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
What uvb are you using? A T 8 or T 5-- distance and placement is crucial-- basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO Stickons-- a zoo med digital from Petco or pet smart- temps for a baby 95-1
Does 10.0 mean 10 wats?
No, the reptisun bulb will say desert 10
You will need to make sure it's the correct length for your hood.
You can either Google the length needed or call the company if you're not sure.
People on here could probably answer too if you give your hood length.
I know It's all so confusing & if it wasn't for sites like this, so many of us would be lost & poor beardies would suffer. I'm still trying to figure alot of it out.
A tip on feeding would be getting reptiworms-they go by many names but they are probably one thing besides Dubai roaches that is excellent to feed, no need to dust with calcium, they keep forever in a cooler environment & keeps the immune system healthy which is good especially if they are stressed. These wriggle alot so he should go after them.
You want to get the large size & Flukers.com is the cheapest I've found.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What is Ziggys UVB bulb please? T 5 or a T 8 ---- I need the bulb so I can help you place it --- the MBD is not reversible however you can w/ proper UVB keep it from getting any worse --- but I need to bulb so I give you placement and distance to get it placed correctly

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
What is Ziggys UVB bulb please? T 5 or a T 8 ---- I need the bulb so I can help you place it --- the MBD is not reversible however you can w/ proper UVB keep it from getting any worse --- but I need to bulb so I give you placement and distance to get it placed correctly
It says "F25T8" and it's a 10.0, if that makes sense? We've been having trouble with it turning off and then not being able to turn it back on, so we've been using his old UVB coil light. Also, it's 36" and the tank is also 36".

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It says "F25T8" and it's a 10.0, if that makes sense? We've been having trouble with it turning off and then not being able to turn it back on, so we've been using his old UVB coil light. Also, it's 36" and the tank is also 36".
Something is wrong w / the fixture or bulb- its a T 8 change the bulb out and see if it stops doing it -- if not invest in a new fixture and I would be doing that ASAP- I would get a 24" fixture for a T 5 upgrade your UVB - DITCH the coil they are NO good!!!!!!!!!!! At this point hes getting NO UVB ---- you do not want the same length UVB as the tank -- a 24" fixture would be good --- and if you do decide to upgrade the tank to a 75 or 120 gallon the 24" fixture will work

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also if you upgrade to the T 5 distance and placement is crucial -- the T 8's need to be inside the tank they are not strong enough to go thru the screen and distance should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor --- T 5's are different distances

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Something is wrong w / the fixture or bulb- its a T 8 change the bulb out and see if it stops doing it -- if not invest in a new fixture and I would be doing that ASAP- I would get a 24" fixture for a T 5 upgrade your UVB - DITCH the coil they are NO good!!!!!!!!!!! At this point hes getting NO UVB ---- you do not want the same length UVB as the tank -- a 24" fixture would be good --- and if you do decide to upgrade the tank to a 75 or 120 gallon the 24" fixture will work
That sounds good ... was thinking about doing that. We just had a lot of trouble getting a fixture and bulb that matched! The pet stores didn't have much, and even ordering online didn't produce much help. Will try again. He is worth it! Though the equipment isn't cheap. He SEEMS like he's doing a little bit better, though still is having so much trouble moving around. :(

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also if you upgrade to the T 5 distance and placement is crucial -- the T 8's need to be inside the tank they are not strong enough to go thru the screen and distance should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor --- T 5's are different distances
So based upon what I said, do you think my bulb is a T8? He can't really get himself up on anything to bask now, so he's basically on the substrate and that's it. Sounds like the T5 is crucial.

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
That sounds good ... was thinking about doing that. We just had a lot of trouble getting a fixture and bulb that matched! The pet stores didn't have much, and even ordering online didn't produce much help. Will try again. He is worth it! Though the equipment isn't cheap. He SEEMS like he's doing a little bit better, though still is having so much trouble moving around. :(
Petmountain.com just had the reptisun hood on sale. Remember that you need to get the 10.0 bulb & not use the one that comes with. Amazon (if you have prime) would probably be super fast in getting it though since it sounds like he needs it now rather than later.
I hope he starts to feel better soon..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Petmountain.com just had the reptisun hood on sale. Remember that you need to get the 10.0 bulb & not use the one that comes with. Amazon (if you have prime) would probably be super fast in getting it though since it sounds like he needs it now rather than later.
I hope he starts to feel better soon..
The T 5 is going to need a distance of 12-15 inches but you must have the the hood -- a T 5 bulb will not fit a T 8 hood-- what are you using for basking decor? You can make a platform type out of a shoebox -- cut it so its at a incline he can crawl up and put some sort of cloth blanket or dish towel etc on it --- he needs to have the distance correct so hes getting proper UVB -- "F25T8 T8

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
The T 5 is going to need a distance of 12-15 inches but you must have the the hood -- a T 5 bulb will not fit a T 8 hood-- what are you using for basking decor? You can make a platform type out of a shoebox -- cut it so its at a incline he can crawl up and put some sort of cloth blanket or dish towel etc on it --- he needs to have the distance correct so hes getting proper UVB -- "F25T8 T8
Okay, so I'm going to have to go searching for the bulb/hood. Frustrating, but he is worth it. He likely can't get up on anything - he's barely been able to push himself across his tank! So sad. We have started to feed him puree through a syringe and he seems to be doing a little better. We are determined.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, so I'm going to have to go searching for the bulb/hood. Frustrating, but he is worth it. He likely can't get up on anything - he's barely been able to push himself across his tank! So sad. We have started to feed him puree through a syringe and he seems to be doing a little better. We are determined.
Ok so your gonna haft to get the T 5 in the tank and lower it down to the 12-15 inches - is he able to chew?

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so your gonna haft to get the T 5 in the tank and lower it down to the 12-15 inches - is he able to chew?
Not 100% sure ... with the puree, he kind of licks his lips and swallows it. About a week or so ago, he was still able to eat super worms. Then they started to be able to wiggled their way out of his mouth. How do you lower the bulb into the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not 100% sure ... with the puree, he kind of licks his lips and swallows it. About a week or so ago, he was still able to eat super worms. Then they started to be able to wiggled their way out of his mouth. How do you lower the bulb into the tank?
I am going to post some things for you to hang the fixture in the tank--- it sounds like he's not able to chew-

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am going to post some things for you to hang the fixture in the tank--- it sounds like he's not able to chew-
Thank you. Do you know the best way to get the light and hood we need? I am looking on PetSmart.com now, and it's confusing - they don't really say whether a bulb is T5 or T8 - they only say it's 10.0.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. Do you know the best way to get the light and hood we need? I am looking on PetSmart.com now, and it's confusing - they don't really say whether a bulb is T5 or T8 - they only say it's 10.0.
I will post what you need--- https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-260...1614548968&sprefix=ZooMed+24"+,aps,193&sr=8-1 this comes w/ the bulb you need --- when you get the hood take the 5.0 bulb out and put in the 10.0 bulb --- my go to place is out of stock or I would of sent you there you can hang w/ this https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
this is like a Velcro strap -- cut it into strips and wrap around the hood -- it works great or you can use this as well
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- potted plant wire hangers -- fishing line

Latest posts