• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about Ziggy ... not eating greens, trouble moving

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Ziggy is about a year old - maybe a little more. He used to be pretty rambunctious. He'd zip about his habitat, climb his fake rock/mountain, and jump up into his hammock. Sometime last year - maybe September - he stopped eating his greens. He'd still eat crickets and super worms. We tried our vet a bunch of times. Earlier this year or late last year, he began to have trouble moving. His front legs in particular have been dragging, and his hands fold under them. He can no longer climb up his rock or get into his hammock.

The vet said it was likely a calcium deficiency, so she gave us shots to give him, which we did. After things didn't really improve, she did some bloodwork and found he may have kidney issues, so now we are injecting him every three days with antibiotics. We're supposed to be giving him a food supplement, but haven't been able to get it into his mouth yet.

He's got a tank that's maybe 3 feet long by 2 deep by 2 high. We've got one UVB, one UVA/basking lamp, and 2 CHEs. His tank is about 100 on the hot side and between 74 and 77 on the cooler side.

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
N

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
just by the sound of it it sounds like medibolic bob desize. But you have uvb and the shots did not help. If you could send in some pictures that would be great. Also you need to upgrade his enclosure. Me and a lot of others people would rec at least 75 gallons or 48 by 20 by 18. Or better 120 gallon witch is 48 by 24 by 24.

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
just by the sound of it it sounds like medibolic bob desize. But you have uvb and the shots did not help. If you could send in some pictures that would be great. Also you need to upgrade his enclosure. Me and a lot of others people would rec at least 75 gallons or 48 by 20 by 18. Or better 120 gallon witch is 48 by 24 by 24.
We got him a bigger UVB bulb but haven't had the chance to set it up yet - hopefully this weekend. How will getting a bigger enclosure help, if I may ask. Below are some pics.

Attachments

• image_6483441 (1).JPG
    image_6483441 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • image_6483441.JPG
    image_6483441.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 26

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Definitely get a bigger uvb that might be the main problem. I think he might be developing mid but I’m not sure. just because the not climind right makes me think. Also how long is he because another problem I can think of is stunted growth. This is because organ on the inside of there bodies can get nest up if growth is stunted. the last and only other Problem is parisites. I would get a check. This can make them fell drowsy.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Definitely get a bigger uvb that might be the main problem. I think he might be developing mid but I’m not sure. just because the not climind right makes me think. Also how long is he because another problem I can think of is stunted growth. This is because organ on the inside of there bodies can get nest up if growth is stunted. the last and only other Problem is parisites. I would get a check. This can make them fell drowsy.
Please go over the UVB- NO coils please- they are inadequate--

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
We got a set-up to put in a UVB bulb that'll run the length of the tank. Hoping it'll help. I'm a little worried about the distance from the top of the tank to where he is - hoping it's not too great a distance for the light to do its job.

What is "mid?"

I'd guess he's about a foot and a half long from head to the tip of his tail.

Thanks!

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
How are you taking temperature if you don’t mind me asking stick on are inaccurate and it may be way too hot for him to stay on the rock long enough. For the uvb it depends on which one you have one can be around 12 inches away from them the other has to be around 6-8 inches away from them to be accurate. You can use zip ties and tie them together to make a chain to bring it closer to me. I suggest getting an infrared or digital prob thermometer quickly because I promise you the hot side with all those tanks is way up in the 100 degrees

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Another thing about the uvb is that mbd can not be reversed it can only be slowed so if you don’t see that much improved ment then that might be why

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We got a set-up to put in a UVB bulb that'll run the length of the tank. Hoping it'll help. I'm a little worried about the distance from the top of the tank to where he is - hoping it's not too great a distance for the light to do its
What is "mid?"

I'd guess he's about a foot and a half long from head to the tip of his tail.

Thanks!
MBD or Metabolic Bone Disease is when they aren’t getting enough uvb to digest the nutrients they need or calcium in their diet causing their bodies to take it from their bones which makes their bones very weak, fuse them or make them crocked. Sadly there is no cure and they will have it for life, though you can reverse it a bit and improve their ability to move they will never go back to being the same again

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
His mbd does not look to be too severe and he’s still has a good remount of fat pads so there is still time to save him. I suggest getting some organic baby food, butternut squash is always a fan favourite and try to syringe feed it to him, maybe mix some calcium powder in there as well so he can get some extra nutrition as well

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
How are you taking temperature if you don’t mind me asking stick on are inaccurate and it may be way too hot for him to stay on the rock long enough. For the uvb it depends on which one you have one can be around 12 inches away from them the other has to be around 6-8 inches away from them to be accurate. You can use zip ties and tie them together to make a chain to bring it closer to me. I suggest getting an infrared or digital prob thermometer quickly because I promise you the hot side with all those tanks is way up in the 100 degrees
So you think he may be too hot? Do you have any suggestions for a good thermometer to use - like a brand and where to get it? He seemed to be doing better for a while, but now he's slowed way down on eating and his mobility is as bad or worse.

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Another thing about the uvb is that mbd can not be reversed it can only be slowed so if you don’t see that much improved ment then that might be why
Any idea how long it should be before we notice any improvement? Also, why are so many lights crappy as far as the bulbs not working well ... like the new light goes off by itself sometimes and/or I have to play with it to get it to go on. It's ReptiSun, so it's a good brand.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What uvb are you using? A T 8 or T 5-- distance and placement is crucial-- basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO Stickons-- a zoo med digital from Petco or pet smart- temps for a baby 95-110 -- adult/ juvie 95-110

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
I am no expert on reptiles but have heard that they can go downhill fast so imo, I would find a vet that specializes in reptiles and speak with them while waiting for online replies. You can also type in your concerns on utube or safari & get some great help also. From reading comments on here, the most important thing you can do is have the correct lighting/heat & temps.
You have a reptisun t5 hood but you need to use the desert 10 bulb & should post pics on here of the setup because folks on here are awesome & can guide you if your screen is incorrect for the light to pass through & a bunch of other stuff to start making your beardie feel better!
Praying that everything turns out well!

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
What uvb are you using? A T 8 or T 5-- distance and placement is crucial-- basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO Stickons-- a zoo med digital from Petco or pet smart- temps for a baby 95-110 -- adult/ juvie 95-110
I was just checking, and it's not clear on the box whether it's a T8 or T5. How can I tell? You put the same temps for both juvie and adult. Is that correct? Thank you.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was just checking, and it's not clear on the box whether it's a T8 or T5. How can I tell? You put the same temps for both juvie and adult. Is that correct? Thank you.
Yes on temps -- look on the bulb itself it will say brand and wattage and if it's a T 5 or T 8