• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are the best greens, veggies, fruits and insects?

What are the best greens, veggies, fruits and insects? (Please select 1 from each category)

• Blueberries (Fruits)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raspberries (Fruits)

• Mango (Fruits)

• Chopped kale (Greens)

• Chopped alfalfa (Greens)

• Chopped dandelion (Greens)

• Shredded carrots (Veggies)

• Shredded cucumber (Veggies)

• Shredded celery (Veggies)

• Crickets (Insects)

• Roaches (Insects)

• Superworms (Insects)

• Mealworms (Insects)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
Dubias & crickets are the beat Ads supers if he is over a year old Amd always the fresh plate of the greens/veggies 2-4 mixed togehter. Fruits as treats 2-3 times a week
They can eat supers and mealworms as babies. If any problems comes from that, your husbandry is off.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am of the set that fruit for dragons should be very rare, it really can affect their teeth and they don't process it well. Insect: bsfl, black soldier fly larvae are very high in calcium naturally. Dubias are very high in protein and can cause weight issues outside of organ damage, so they should be more of a treat( we don't even buy or offer them anymore). That high very protein diet causes gout and many issues in humans and animals alike. We try to give at least 3 different feeders on a bug day. Puff hates almost all food but Peaches loves the mixed greens we buy and yes even the spinach in it. She loves red peppers. Flat Italian parsley is eaten until the plant is dead, she loves it.
Spinach should NOT be fed to Beardies it contains oxalates which binds to calcium & prevents it from being absorbed. Read This…..

So can bearded dragons eat spinach? Bearded Dragons can eat spinach. However, it should only be fed on occasion and in sparing amounts. This is largely due to the fact that spinach contains a high number of oxalates that are considered unhealthy for bearded dragons as they bind calcium and prevent it from being absorbed.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
They can eat supers and mealworms as babies. If any problems comes from that, your husbandry is off.
Hi; We rescue & rehome. Rule of them Never feed a Beardie anything that’s bigger than the space between s their “2” eyes. Mealworms are the worst feeders, horrible for their digestive system & it impacts a Beardie!! Also, they should never be fed superworms under a year old it’s too big of a feeder & tuff on their digestive system; as young dragons they need to wait till they are adults so their digestive tract can handle it. We do this day in and day out and rescue hundreds.

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
Hi; We rescue & rehome. Rule of them Never feed a Beardie anything that’s bigger than the space between s their “2” eyes. Mealworms are the worst feeders, horrible for their digestive system & it impacts a Beardie!! Also, they should never be fed superworms under a year old it’s too big of a feeder & tuff on their digestive system; as young dragons they need to wait till they are adults so their digestive tract can handle it. We do this day in and day out and rescue hundreds.
You do realize superworms can be smaller than a mealworm. You are just spreading so much BS, opinions told over and over as if they are fact, that spread from one site/group until people take it as fact. As for the day in and day out, that means nothing to me. Those memes you swear are going to kill a dragon was written up by a 30 year experienced owner/rescuer along with breeders. You can find them on facebook(bearded dragon and common sense care) and here. https://pogonacare.com/

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You do realize superworms can be smaller than a mealworm. You are just spreading so much BS, opinions told over and over as if they are fact, that spread from one site/group until people take it as fact. As for the day in and day out, that means nothing to me. Those memes you swear are going to kill a dragon was written up by a 30 year experienced owner/rescuer along with breeders. You can find them on facebook(bearded dragon and common sense care) and here. https://pogonacare.com/
Mealworms are not recommended for babies because of the chitlin on the outer body - it is to hard for a baby to digest - and often causes impaction because the digestive tract is not fully developed - super worms can be fed as theirs do not have such a harsh chitlin -but they should be fed in moderation tho -

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
Many other feeders deemed safe for babies have more fiber(chitin) than the mealworms, just saying.

feeder_insect_nutrition_chart.jpg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Sky bug superworms & hornworms are NOT everyday proteins feeders; are to be given as treats because they are very high in fat. Also, super worms should only be fed to Beardies 1 year old and up; their digestive tract cannot handle it any sooner than that & Hornworms to be fed when the Beardies are 1.5 yrs of age minimum. Also he needs greens: mustard/collard greens are the best and he needs the yellow squash which is loaded in calcium. Fruits: blueberries/mangoes and papayas are the best everyday ones but 1-2 times a week cuz too much sugar is bad for a Beardie.
I dont agree with a lot of what you say @Julee1971 , but thats okay we dont have to agree, I never said they were everyday protein feeders……. And supers dont have as hard of exoskeletons, i fed them to my beardy when she was 6 months old and she digested them just fine :) thank you for your concern though, my beardy was eating hornworms at 3 months…. Once again she digested them fine, I understand you take care and rehome beardies, but that doesn’t make you an expert…. Ive had “industry experts” tell me some wild bs…. If u have read any of my post you’d understand that i said those were my beardies “favorites” doesn’t mean i give them every day, try to give people the benefit of the doubt before you jump down their throat with your knowledge, we all have something to learn from each other, we cant hear you nor want to listen when u say everything we do is wrong, i hope you have a good rest of your day :cool:

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
NO carrots; they are high in Vitamin A which toxic to a Beardie once in a Blue moon is ok; but not recommended.
…….Theyd have to eat their own body weight in carrots to see any negative affects,………. carrots are wonderful for bearded dragons, they’re great for eye health! And like you said have vitamin A (which yea In high does calcium can kill ur beardy too? Does that mean calciums bad?). mine eats carrots, others eat carrots, carrots for all bearded dragons!!! julee i think you should do a review of your husbandry…… this multivitamin has vitamin A in it…. It’s marketed towards bearded dragons……. This liquid vitamin is almost all vitamin A, guess whose on the front of the bottle? :) , its very hard reading ur messages when you say everything we’re doing is wrong….. its not nice either , if you have something to share thats great this forum NEED experienced people who have accurate knowledge, not people who come on here every once and a while and says everything everyone is doing is wrong… id love to see you comment more on peoples threads, but you dont need to have a rebuttal for every person that doesn’t do it like you……..ive raised a perfectly healthy bearded dragon, on hornworms, on supers, amongst other things ud deem “beardy killers” please take what i said to heart and just not argue,…. Its a shame this always happens on other people’s threads…..you can be a great asset to this community…..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 7F8121EE-CB11-4D54-8A6B-FC6B74FB4DDF.jpeg
    7F8121EE-CB11-4D54-8A6B-FC6B74FB4DDF.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 6
  • C177F958-058F-43F3-BB3B-61D713B49F3C.jpeg
    C177F958-058F-43F3-BB3B-61D713B49F3C.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 7F920CDA-034F-4418-8950-14C478B37368.jpeg
    7F920CDA-034F-4418-8950-14C478B37368.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
…….Theyd have to eat their own body weight in carrots to see any negative affects,………. carrots are wonderful for bearded dragons, they’re great for eye health! And like you said have vitamin A (which yea In high does calcium can kill ur beardy too? Does that mean calciums bad?). mine eats carrots, others eat carrots, carrots for all bearded dragons!!! julee i think you should do a review of your husbandry…… this multivitamin has vitamin A in it…. It’s marketed towards bearded dragons……. This liquid vitamin is almost all vitamin A, guess whose on the front of the bottle? :) , its very hard reading ur messages when you say everything we’re doing is wrong….. its not nice either , if you have something to share thats great this forum NEED experienced people who have accurate knowledge, not people who come on here every once and a while and says everything everyone is doing is wrong… id love to see you comment more on peoples threads, but you dont need to have a rebuttal for every person that doesn’t do it like you……..ive raised a perfectly healthy bearded dragon, on hornworms, on supers, amongst other things ud deem “beardy killers” please take what i said to heart and just not argue,…. Its a shame this always happens on other people’s threads…..you can be a great asset to this community…..
Dragons can be fed carrots BUT if your using carrots to hydrate your insects like dubias and crickets DO NOT feed the dragon carrots too - too much Vit A---

Latest posts