• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are the best greens, veggies, fruits and insects?

What are the best greens, veggies, fruits and insects? (Please select 1 from each category)

• Blueberries (Fruits)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raspberries (Fruits)

• Mango (Fruits)

• Chopped kale (Greens)

• Chopped alfalfa (Greens)

• Chopped dandelion (Greens)

• Shredded carrots (Veggies)

• Shredded cucumber (Veggies)

• Shredded celery (Veggies)

• Crickets (Insects)

• Roaches (Insects)

• Superworms (Insects)

• Mealworms (Insects)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Please select 1 from each category.
Best proteins are crickets & Dubia roaches. U can add superworms after he’s a year old. Never ever feed meal worms it impacts them Amd gets them fat & super bad for them. Everyday also a fresh plate of mixed greens & veggies. The best everyday ones are: Mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash, butternut squash, endives, green beans & snap peas. U may do some red bell peppers once in a while also. Do 2-3 or more of a mix of the greens/veggies. Yellow squash has lots of calcium which they need alongside the Repcal calcium powder once/day 3-4 times per week sprinkled over the feeders or veggie plate. Fruits give as treats 2-3 times per week because they are high in sugar; good ones are: blueberries, mangoes and papayas.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
“Best” is subjective, each dragon has different genes, what may be “best” for one dragon, could be unhealthy for another, for my bearded dragons favs for bugs fruits and veggies are #1hornworms(theyre full of water great for hydration) #2discoid roaches(these are actually probably “best” for their overallness) #3super worms(she loves supers) for fruits #1banana (idk why, she loves nanners) #2blueberries(she’ll eat them most of the time(these are good for bearded dragons but no more than 1 a day id say) 3mango (hit or miss wether she’ll take it or not) for veggies I struggle (she only ever takes one bite then turns her head , but when i can get her to eat them her favs are #1hibiscus leaves(she will actually eat more than one bites worth of them ,but rarely) #2 broccoli (idk why , it must be the look of it) #3orange bell pepper (this is probably her most favorite overall , i dont think she’s ever rejected it, oTher than me trying to get her to eat more of it)

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
I am of the set that fruit for dragons should be very rare, it really can affect their teeth and they don't process it well. Insect: bsfl, black soldier fly larvae are very high in calcium naturally. Dubias are very high in protein and can cause weight issues outside of organ damage, so they should be more of a treat( we don't even buy or offer them anymore). That high very protein diet causes gout and many issues in humans and animals alike. We try to give at least 3 different feeders on a bug day. Puff hates almost all food but Peaches loves the mixed greens we buy and yes even the spinach in it. She loves red peppers. Flat Italian parsley is eaten until the plant is dead, she loves it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dubias are the better of the staple insect - they are more nutritious and easier to keep - BSFL are a good staple as well for mainly babies because they are so small and adults need alot of them to fill them up - combination of dubias and BSFL together are real good - especially for babies - crickets are a dirty feeder and can cause parasites - silk worms are good as a staple as well - greens like mustard kale turnip and collard are all good for staple feeders as well as arugula - dandelion greens too - squash can be added along w/ sweet potato raw and shredded - your peppers have lots of water so if your feeding that too much can cause runny stools - here is a website for nutrition it can help you w/ ideas of what to feed - scroll to the bottom of the page and you can see plants that are edible as well
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

BeardieLover101

Bearded Dragon Egg
Best proteins are crickets & Dubia roaches. U can add superworms after he’s a year old. Never ever feed meal worms it impacts them And gets them fat & super bad for them. Everyday also a fresh plate of mixed greens & veggies. The best everyday ones are: Mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash, butternut squash, endives, green beans & snap peas. U may do some red bell peppers once in a while also. Do 2-3 or more of a mix of the greens/veggies. Yellow squash has lots of calcium which they need alongside the Repcal calcium powder once/day 3-4 times per week sprinkled over the feeders or veggie plate. Fruits give as treats 2-3 times per week because they are high in sugar; good ones are: blueberries, mangoes and papayas.
The beardie I'm going to be caring for is 2' and 8yo.

BeardieLover101

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dubias are the better of the staple insect - they are more nutritious and easier to keep - BSFL are a good staple as well for mainly babies because they are so small and adults need a lot of them to fill them up - combination of dubias and BSFL together are real good - especially for babies - crickets are a dirty feeder and can cause parasites - silk worms are good as a staple as well.
Agreed.

BeardieLover101

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am of the set that fruit for dragons should be very rare, it really can affect their teeth and they don't process it well. Insect: bsfl, black soldier fly larvae are very high in calcium naturally. Dubias are very high in protein and can cause weight issues outside of organ damage, so they should be more of a treat( we don't even buy or offer them anymore). That high very protein diet causes gout and many issues in humans and animals alike.
I partially agree.

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
As long as you buy crickets from a good breeder, they have no more parasite loads over any other feeder. As for feeder nutrition, here is a break down. Fiber content is the chitin content and as you see mealworms are not the highest. From this site:

Re: Dubia and Gout

by Claudiusx » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi there,

Dubias do have decently high levels of uric acid in their bodies. Roaches that are fed high protein diets have higher levels but as far as I'm aware, even when fed a lower protein diet, they still will have a decent amount.

While gout can be caused from many things, there does seem to be a loose correlation between gout and dubia roaches. That doesnt make them a bad feeder, but it reaffirms the importance of a varied diet, and not relying on 1 single food source for your dragon.

-Brandon**

feeder_insect_nutrition_chart.jpg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Good post^^ another myth is carrots are bad for them too,…. They’d have to eat their body weight in carrot to get any negative affects, they’re great for their eyes and overall health, a good rule is do everything, but in moderation :)

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
“Best” is subjective, each dragon has different genes, what may be “best” for one dragon, could be unhealthy for another, for my bearded dragons favs for bugs fruits and veggies are #1hornworms(theyre full of water great for hydration) #2discoid roaches(these are actually probably “best” for their overallness) #3super worms(she loves supers) for fruits #1banana (idk why, she loves nanners) #2blueberries(she’ll eat them most of the time(these are good for bearded dragons but no more than 1 a day id say) 3mango (hit or miss wether she’ll take it or not) for veggies I struggle (she only ever takes one bite then turns her head , but when i can get her to eat them her favs are #1hibiscus leaves(she will actually eat more than one bites worth of them ,but rarely) #2 broccoli (idk why , it must be the look of it) #3orange bell pepper (this is probably her most favorite overall , i dont think she’s ever rejected it, oTher than me trying to get her to eat more of it)
Sky bug superworms & hornworms are NOT everyday proteins feeders; are to be given as treats because they are very high in fat. Also, super worms should only be fed to Beardies 1 year old and up; their digestive tract cannot handle it any sooner than that & Hornworms to be fed when the Beardies are 1.5 yrs of age minimum. Also he needs greens: mustard/collard greens are the best and he needs the yellow squash which is loaded in calcium. Fruits: blueberries/mangoes and papayas are the best everyday ones but 1-2 times a week cuz too much sugar is bad for a Beardie.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Good post^^ another myth is carrots are bad for them too,…. They’d have to eat their body weight in carrot to get any negative affects, they’re great for their eyes and overall health, a good rule is do everything, but in moderation :)
NO carrots; they are high in Vitamin A which toxic to a Beardie once in a Blue moon is ok; but not recommended.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
A lot of this is Incorrect!!! We rescue and rehome.u can hurt a Beardie by over calciumimg him. Calcium (REPCAL) from petco should be given once per day only, 4times per week, NOT on every feeding. And Herptivite once per day/week on a non calcium day. If it’s a female dragon & she lays eggs that month they need to be given extra calcium for the week prior to laying eggs & 2-3 weeks after they lay eggs with lots & lots of protein; crickets, Dubias, super Amd hornworms Amd calcium everyday since they are depleted after laying eggs.

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
Exactly, with Puff we fell into the dubias are the only thing you need to feed as it was the best. After puff laid eggs last year, she went to the vets and for blood work, uric acid was built up but he said that could have been from just laying too. I won't feed them anymore to her but I am in the middle of breaking down my anole's tank and just found a female adult dubia that Peaches enjoyed very much...lol

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Exactly, with Puff we fell into the dubias are the only thing you need to feed as it was the best. After puff laid eggs last year, she went to the vets and for blood work, uric acid was built up but he said that could have been from just laying too. I won't feed them anymore to her but I am in the middle of breaking down my anole's tank and just found a female adult dubia that Peaches enjoyed very much...lol
Dubias & crickets are the beat Ads supers if he is over a year old Amd always the fresh plate of the greens/veggies 2-4 mixed togehter. Fruits as treats 2-3 times a week

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
A lot of this is Incorrect!!! We rescue and rehome.u can hurt a Beardie by over calciumimg him. Calcium (REPCAL) from petco should be given once per day only, 4times per week, NOT on every feeding. And Herptivite once per day/week on a non calcium day. If it’s a female dragon & she lays eggs that month they need to be given extra calcium for the week prior to laying eggs & 2-3 weeks after they lay eggs with lots & lots of protein; crickets, Dubias, super Amd hornworms Amd calcium everyday since they are depleted after laying eggs.
Read that again...it states for every calcium feeding not every feeding. and the Herpivite again states for the vitamin feeding and that should never be daily. I am sorry, I take their information over yours anyday since you couldn't even read the post correctly. I didn't get my info from a bunch of different places, I fully trust breaded dragon and common sense care.

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
Dubias & crickets are the beat Ads supers if he is over a year old Amd always the fresh plate of the greens/veggies 2-4 mixed togehter. Fruits as treats 2-3 times a week
they are not made to eat fruit...why would you say that? They aren't iguanas that naturally eat fruit in the wild.

Latest posts