• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Waterfalls by our cabin in Upstate New York

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Nope Craiger. I don't mind at all!! Wonderful pics. LOVE the "Home away from Home" too. Have a really great time and know you will be missed here on the forum. But I will be looking for those new photos.

You have NO idea how many exclaimation marks I had to go back and delete after I saw those pics. ;D

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Actually Janie. If you look at the pic where you can see the truck and solar panel a little. Off to the right you can see part of the Hill on the other side of the road. When we retire (or shortly before) we are planning on building a log home in those woods. We were scoping it out again this past weekend. The problem is it is quite a ways up to this wonderful spot I have found. The sun shines through the trees in a very special way. The grass is long and full and soft. The day we found it a few years back the sun was streaming in and I just KNEW that is where we should build. The trouble with the location is it is quite a hike up and would cost a fortune to clear and pave and treacherous in winter months. We could use snowmobiles and 4 wheelers but we have been forced to face the fact that these bodies are only going to get frailer. Might have to find a spot a little closer to the road. :(

I eat meat but it is not my most favorite food. I eat chicken and pork and a little hamburger. But I honestly think that if I saw the animal before it was all cut up and wrapped I would become vegetarian. Mike and I were just talking about that and how if things became tight for us after retirement we have PLENTY of friends who would jump at the chance to do the dirty work for us. I have watched these hunting shows on TV where they are panting over this beautiful animal and then "BOOM" in the next scene they are holding it's dead head and saying how gorgeous it is. But I know how hard it is for those animals when there is not enough food to go around and how they suffer then. The hunters we know use the meat to feed their families over the winter so it is a necessary thing.

I WILL be learning how to handle a gun tough. Not so much because of the critters but the 2 legged thing is what I am most afraid of. We are isolated. Mike jokes and says he doesn't want me to learn because I'd end up shooting him one night. Not if he behaves himself I won't. LOL

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Psssst Vesta, you aren't watching.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I know Lisa!!! I can't find the channel on the internet. I find a web site but not where it's just streamed. I'll yell down to Mike in a minute and try to look helpless and pitiful. That usually works. :-[

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Younger huh... not by much girl ! *snorts*
It's all in how we are raised I think that makes the difference in hunting and eating, or letting someone else "do the dirty work".
Yeah, I'd worry more about the two legged variety than the four...
As for frailty.. well I know we aren't our great grands.. but they made it through.. I still have kin up in them there woods in the Apps. Some are close if not in their first century of years.
Craig.. that thing wouldn't last a New York Winter... lol.. it is pretty though ! ;) Course he won't see this until next week... *chuckles*

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My Daddy was a country boy from Missouri and often brought what he hunted home. I have eaten frog legs, squirrel and rabbit. And my sister Mary and I always fought over the squirrel tail. (which is actually gross now that I think about it) But I am not my daddies girl I guess and I saw the look in the deers eyes as they where herded across the road onto the land where our cabin sits. They were running for their lives and I have never forgotten it. Hypocritical I KNOW!!! I will eat it but I cannot kill it.

Our Greats did not have it as easy as we do. They would have laughed at our softness.

Did I say you were younger? ;)

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
grimm said:
craiger u live in Missouri?

No, I work in St. Louis, but live an hour north in Illinois. Why's that? You live in Missouri?

And Janie's right....I likely won't see your answer 'til I get back on Sunday night. Got to get up in 4 hours for a 5 hour trip. ;D

Oh...and Janie...it's okay that it wouldn't last in New York. It'll never see New York. :p :D

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
proly im in kirksville ( no where) with no car atm lol, i think its like almost 4 hours away from st.l lol.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
grimm said:
proly im in kirksville ( no where) with no car atm lol, i think its like almost 4 hours away from st.l lol.

Oh, okay. Darn....I was hoping we were closer. Well....it's REALLY late, now. GOT TO get to bed or I'm going to be dog-tired driving a long distance in the morning (getting up at 4:00am). LOL!

Take care, guys! I'll talk at you when we return.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup.. Me and Monique are moving in... I figure with all the men folk we have.. we can help set what ever isn't right, to rights...

000203FB.gif

Pogie..I'm sorry but I know it is out of the question for you. But I would really love it if you could come as well. Wink

Ya never know, maybe I'll win the lottery or something . . . .
000201DD.gif
but I guess you actually have to play to win LOL

Craiger, Your getaway is really nice too. To think you're already there as I type this :-\

hijacked.gif
Sorry, but I wanna show some pics TOOOOO

These are some pics of my house, and of the view from the porch.... So guess I have some of it right here at home...

From the end of the driveway....
IMG_1626.jpg

Up close
IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

View from porch
IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

Kids playing outside.....
IMG_1987.jpg

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yes, you certainly do. :D Very beautiful. I am ever amazed at the beauty of this world. And the one who made it. Love the looks of the house and surrounding area. The sunset is breathtaking and so are your boys. So sweet.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Totally agree.. though those hot temps might get the best of me... Temperate zones for me, ideally... lol

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Totally agree.. though those hot temps might get the best of me... Temperate zones for me, ideally... lol

Think you misunderstood, those temps I was telling Craig about was for HOEDSPRUIT, we now live in Kleinfontein, temps are

Summer
Min 66F
Max 93F

Winter
Min 35F
Max 82F

A wee bit too cold for winter... But thats just me, wish I could be like the swallows, and migrate each winter.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well....we're back. I'm exhausted. More from having to mow the yard as soon as we got home today. Temp was 95F and high humidity. I really do think the heat got the best of me though I tried to keep hydrated the entire time I was out there. Still feeling the affects of it 8 hours later.

We have lots of pics, but I doubt I'll get any posted tonight. If I do, there won't be many.

Monique,

GREAT pics. Love the house. Tell me, though, how do you like the roof when it rains? Is it loud?

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Welcome Back Craiger. Missed you. Hope you had a GREAT time and I can't wait to see pcs. :D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It was good, certainly not great. Out of 4 days, I think I might have got to ride my ATV for about 2 hours total. It was just too painful. I did get a lot of down time in the trailer watching movies while everybody else was out riding. So I'm glad for that. Just wish I could have enjoyed it more.

I'll try to post a few pics in a bit.

Latest posts