• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Waterfalls by our cabin in Upstate New York

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hillpicsandwaterfalls002.jpg

Hillpicsandwaterfalls001-1.jpg

Hillpicsandwaterfalls019.jpg

Hillpicsandwaterfalls018.jpg

Hillpicsandwaterfalls017.jpg

Hillpicsandwaterfalls015.jpg

Hillpicsandwaterfalls010.jpg

Hillpicsandwaterfalls009.jpg

Hillpicsandwaterfalls007.jpg

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The above pictures were taken just up the road from our cabin. Not too many people know they are there. It's quite a hike down to get to them. And you must climb up or beside the Falls to get to the next one. Quite a feat if you examine some of the photos. But well worth the effort. I do it anyway I can. Lots of tree roots and rocks to hang onto so that helps. Going down I am not ashamed to say I slid on my butt as much as possible. Found a nice swimming hole down by the creek in back of our cabin. Spring fed so quite invigorating. LOL

The pictures of the Hill I took off the balcony. This is what I wake up to every morning. I sit out there until I become human enough to have a cup of coffee. Deer come out at dusk and munch out in the field. You can also see them early morning there. It's a beautiful and peaceful place.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You know where Corning is?(where Corning glass is made) 1/2 hour from there. The closest larger town is Hornell. It's called Canisteo. I have heard of Rome but I'm not sure exactly where it is. Mike will know.

Thank you. :D

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks everyone. That very first pic, when you climb to the flat part is the most interesting and beautiful place. I am not sure why we do not have a pic of it. It is flat and surrounded by the shale formations. Layer upon layer of it. Where the water falls the is an 8 or 9" deep ditch that the water flows in. It almost looks manmade but over the years the water has made it just a little bit deeper and a little bit wider. It is only maybe 8-9" wide as well. It is flat and cool like a little cave. It's a wonderful place. :)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Les' see.... Solar panels, supply of fresh water, and plenty of hunting... I'm sure I could scrape a piece of land large enough for veggies.. Now.. what does that cabin look like ? ;)
*starts packing to move in...*
Very nice... I Like !

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Geeeez, now I'm jealous.

Think we'll fit together Janie??? Cos I'm comin tooo

Really nice Vesta, I'm green all over :)

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
AWW..Thanks Pogie...

It is really beautiful there. Mike built the cabin himself. It has been 5 years. Had quite a setback this year. Much rain washed the cinderblock pillars right out from under the cabin. It has caused it to shift these past couple of years but this year was the worst and caused the cabin to shift right off it's foundation in back of large part of cabin. That pushed the entire deck forward 8 or so inches. What a discouragement that was this Spring. Mike and my son laid a more stable foundation and we have a young, strong friend who spent this past weekend with us. They used winches, steel plates and large screws as rollers and his brawn to get everything back where it belonged, hopefully permanently now. The whole problem is really all my fault. I wanted that view from the balcony and when Mike tried to talk me out of it because of possible sliding conditions. I held firm. ;D I guess he can be right just this once. ;) We were going to finish the inside walls and put a bathroom on this year but guess that will not be happening just yet. Still need to insulate ceilings and put wood ceilings in. We like to stay there over the weekends in winter months. It is brutal up there. Nature is always trying to take back it's own and you have to be diligent to keep that from happening.

Janie. The soil up there is not good for gardening even if you managed to keep the critters from stealing everything. About 2 feet down you hit a level of clay that is nearly impossible to penetrate without some heavy equipment. We use the solar power to keep the batteries charged to run lights,TV, Radio and refrigerator. We will be expanding on that. Mike wants to look into harnessing wind power as well. We catch rainwater in 3, 250 gallon containers and will treat and filter that for baths and toilet flushing if we ever get the bathroom on. Very basic life we lead when we are there and just goes to show we don't need as much to live as we think we do. :)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ahhh but I can make that poor soil.. rich ;)
Yup.. Me and Monique are moving in... I figure with all the men folk we have.. we can help set what ever isn't right, to rights... My gracious but this whole thread just calls my name.. and LOUD !
*thank you... I needed that...*

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
GOOD. And I'm glad it makes you happy. :D We sure could have used all those men these last couple of weeks. But things look like they are holding up right now. My next mission is to stain the deck and tape up all the windows and doors so Mike can spray it. Work is never done as we try to maintain both properties.

It is a good place to be Janie if you are that type of girl. You would love it there. I have forgotten where you are right now but if you are ever near you welcome to stop in. : ) I have a girl friend who keeps wanting to come but I am discouraging her as much as possible. I KNOW she cannot take it.

Pogie..I'm sorry but I know it is out of the question for you. But I would really love it if you could come as well. ;)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Savannah Ga... I haven't been North of the Mason Dixon line in 25 years...
I was raised as a country girl... I own my own shot gun, and I can reload it too.... I've never been afraid of cleaning the kill once done, nor eating what I have "harvested". Yeah.. I think I would get along marvelously up there... But one thing.. you forgot to build that cabin into the mountain... ;)

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Those are beautiful pics, Vesta. Extremely peaceful....and tranquil. Just what I need right now.

This is what we get to enjoy at our little getaway. Pics were taken a couple years ago.

Love Hole....used to have a large heart-shaped rock in the streambed 'til somebody stole it two years ago.
MeandBev1.jpg

Of course, this one was taken in the fall over looking one of the hills by our lowest campground. There are 6 different campgrounds and the property is 6,350 acres in the Missouri Ozarks.
P1010007.jpg

These were taken last year. Being a Ranch, we HAVE to have horses. I think there are around 100 head of them. These are the biggest and pull the Ranch's wagon.
DSCN0275.jpg

Lonnie's Lookout...
DSCN0387.jpg

Ranch6.jpg

P1010013.jpg

We've got waterfalls, too. Just can't find the pics right now.

Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, Vesta. You're pictures reminded me so much of Cloud 9 that I had to post some. Leavin' in the morning....and can't wait!!!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL! Thanks Janie. :(

Here's what we stay in while we're there. Our '95 Fleetwood Prowler. It's 26' long...bathtub/shower that Bev can sit and take a bath in...front kitchen...full entertainment system with speakers throughout...all oak interior...and more. We love it! Okay....time to go load up! ;D

Small.jpg

Kitchen.jpg

Couch.jpg

TVstand.jpg

Bed2.jpg

Bed1.jpg

Bathroom.jpg

Tub.jpg

Latest posts