• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vet visit

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Yes!!! Does this look like tapeworm to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you Eavlynn that makes me feel much better.
They are so creepy [emoji50][emoji15]
I filmed this just to show our vet if we ever get a chance. He finally pushed me off the deep end by telling me it's mucus lol. Now here I am filming parasites [emoji23]

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Btw it's totally not crawling around on our carpet, Spyras paper towel substrate is pushed over and you can see through the bottom of her cage. I sent this to Maddie and she tripped on me telling me to get it off our carpet [emoji23]

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I definitely thought it was on the carpet, but I want going to say anything [emoji23]

Your vet sounds like a brain dead monkey. At least there is a good vet tech there. Have they all been single segmented tapeworms like that? I'm used to seeing the longer multisegmented parasites, but there are many different types.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I definitely thought it was on the carpet, but I want going to say anything [emoji23]

Your vet sounds like a brain dead monkey. At least there is a good vet tech there. Have they all been single segmented tapeworms like that? I'm used to seeing the longer multisegmented parasites, but there are many different types.

Haha I promise I don't allow parasites to play on the carpet [emoji23]

At this point that's probably an insult to brain dead monkeys everywhere lol. I'm so done with vets.

Yes they have all been single segments like this one. From what I've read it seems this is not the actual worm but just a ripe segment full of microscopic eggs. Once it drys out it would supposedly release hundreds of eggs that could potentially reinfect Spyra, feeder insects, our dog..maybe even us? Do you know if there is any truth to this?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So we sent that video to our vet tech and she told us that it is 100% tapeworm. She said that she knew it on day one when we were just describing it to them but the vet refused to listen. Come to find out she's been behind the scenes printing out documents about tapeworm in reptiles and pushing him to do the treatment. So thank God for her. I think her and the vet should switch titles

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
OMG, I would die if I saw that come out of one of my beardies! Yay for the vet tech that pushed for the treatment. Hopefully the treatment helps.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sadly we are both so use to seeing these nasty little things by now the creep factor is no where near as intense as it once was. She's had them since the day we got her. I can't wait for it to finally be over! We can actually put her carpet and things back in her cage soon [emoji4]

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Haha I promise I don't allow parasites to play on the carpet [emoji23]

At this point that's probably an insult to brain dead monkeys everywhere lol. I'm so done with vets.

Yes they have all been single segments like this one. From what I've read it seems this is not the actual worm but just a ripe segment full of microscopic eggs. Once it drys out it would supposedly release hundreds of eggs that could potentially reinfect Spyra, feeder insects, our dog..maybe even us? Do you know if there is any truth to this?

My sincerest apologies to the brain dead monkeys lol

That's not something I've heard of, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. That's what nightmares are made of! You think it dies when it dries up and BAM! Infectious tape spawn!

That vet tech sounds awesome. She really had your back. I'd bake her some cookies or something haha. She went above and beyond, and probably doesn't get paid much. If she goes through the rest of the schooling to be a vet, you know who to go to!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She definitely deserves oven baked cookies for sure. We could make them dragon shaped with little white sprinkles coming out of the tail end. Jk that's probably not appropriate during this time lol.
But seriously I am so grateful to her and you guys as well. You have all been such a great support system

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She definitely deserves oven baked cookies for sure. We could make them dragon shaped with little white sprinkles coming out of the tail end. Jk that's probably not appropriate during this time lol.
But seriously I am so grateful to her and you guys as well. You have all been such a great support system

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Oh god, I just lost it! That was beautiful!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club

Just do dragon cookies and worm cookies! :)

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ms. Fatty cakes just had her second dosage of praziquantel. In two weeks she will have one more dose just to be on the safe side and she should be all clear of parasites. We did have to up the dose this time since we were still seeing tapeworm segments. So hopefully she will handle the higher dosage well. *fingers crossed*

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ms. Fatty cakes just had her second dosage of praziquantel. In two weeks she will have one more dose just to be on the safe side and she should be all clear of parasites. We did have to up the dose this time since we were still seeing tapeworm segments. So hopefully she will handle the higher dosage well. *fingers crossed*

Well dang it.. I hope this does the trick.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Forgot to post and update you guys. Our girl is parasite free! Maybe for the first time in her life for all we know. She handled all treatment like a champ and is now eating MUCH less, Thank God. With tapeworm she was eating 80-100 insects a day and now she eats 15-25 a day. That kind of shows how much food tapeworm really takes from them.
0cde5b5275978ed09d657979a3f03885.png

Here's our pretty girl showing off her "happy colors" because she needs no more nasty medicine:)

Latest posts