• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vet visit

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I hear ya, I'd go berserk. Hopefully the board does something.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's been over a month ago. We filed the complaint and I emailed them but never heard anything. So who knows. Hopefully they will at least keep it on file so if he gets reported again they can see it's a reoccurring thing for him and take it seriously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hang in there and keep being proactive in her care and keep pushing them along for treatment for the worms.. Keep feeding her good and keep your husbandry top notch...Your doing a great job.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is he supposed to get back to you about the unidentified worm?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you hdrydr. We are trying our best. I've been giving her probiotics daily and haven't been cutting her off during feedings any. I also bumped her vitamin intake up to two days a week instead of one. I figured if it is tapeworm (which I really think it is) she will need as much nutrition as possible. I plan on taking another sample in tomorrow and will every day if I have too in order to get answers lol

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is he supposed to get back to you about the unidentified worm?

We are suppose to bring the actual worms in the next time we find them. He was actually going to let it go but the vet tech called us and wants to look again. She is the one who actually told us she believes it is tapeworm. The issue with that is we only see this worm once in awhile and not every time Spyra poops. I'm not really understanding why an actual feces sample isn't enough for them?

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
The worms are small and white, like a flat piece of rice. They can form different shapes and go from worm shaped to almost round. I'm just hoping that once we bring them another sample (dunno why the first wasn't good enough) they will be able to treat her.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If there are multiple worms, and they can change shape, I'd be inclined to think it's not tapeworm. You usually don't see tapeworms, and by the time you do, they are very long, segmented and always flat, hence being a flatworm. By the time you realize a tapeworm is present, the host usually presents with significant weight loss.

I wish you guys were close to me. There's a doctor at the University that specializes in parasitology. I'd love to have him look at it. You'd have an answer within a day.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
RaeAnn and Maddie- I've been thinking about little Spyra all day. I spoke with Helena at Doctor Dragons and she can identify the parasite by the eggs that are present and is really interested in looking at a sample from Spyra. You can mail in a sample, I just sent one out for Ruth. I contact her through Facebook. I think she may be able to get to the bottom of this for you guys. She's awesome, and really informative.

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
It's weird how they move that's just the best way I can explain it. Thank you for taking the time to speak to someone about our baby. That really means a lot to us and if this vet doesn't do anything we will definitely be speaking with her.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
RaeAnn and Maddie- I've been thinking about little Spyra all day. I spoke with Helena at Doctor Dragons and she can identify the parasite by the eggs that are present and is really interested in looking at a sample from Spyra. You can mail in a sample, I just sent one out for Ruth. I contact her through Facebook. I think she may be able to get to the bottom of this for you guys. She's awesome, and really informative.

Thank you. I would like to go ahead and do this. Would I need to find her on facebook in order to speak with her and mail in a sample?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thank you. I would like to go ahead and do this. Would I need to find her on facebook in order to speak with her and mail in a sample?

They have a web site. They could probably contact some other way besides Face book. They are the ones that I sent Dolly's fecal to be tested and we contacted through messenger. I even had a question about another poop of hers and sent them the picture and they told me she was getting too much calcium.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They have a website. I just use Facebook for ease. She's always pretty quick to reply. We've discussed a variety of things from medications to random topics. I can't say enough good things. You guys won't be disappointed!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you. Do you know what the website is off of the top of your head? I would love to get an expert to look at a sample just to clear my mind a little.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I definitely will. I just emailed her so hopefully I'll hear back soon. My question is IF she does diagnose spyra with tapeworm is there any place where I can actually order treatment for her and treat her myself? Or is this something I will have to obtain from a Dr?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I definitely will. I just emailed her so hopefully I'll hear back soon. My question is IF she does diagnose spyra with tapeworm is there any place where I can actually order treatment for her and treat her myself? Or is this something I will have to obtain from a Dr?

They typically have everything to treat and give you information on what and how much and how often.. and then retest for free..

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you Hdrydr. At this point I would rather just treat her myself if possible. This has been going on so long now and I feel horrible. I've contacted practically every vet around and near by and they either don't treat bearded dragons or I get stuck with some sketchy Dr. It must be something in the air around here idk. I'm just ready for this to be over for her :/

Latest posts