• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vet visit

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
This is a strange question but how do you mail poop? I've never had to do this before and want to make sure the sample will be good enough when it arrives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I got a fresh sample and put it in a ziploc bag. I put that ziploc bag into another ziploc bag. Then I put the bags into a small envelope, and placed that envelope in a full size letter envelope. Two envelopes were probably totally unnecessary, but it made me feel better lol. If you pay by check, insert the check and mail it off. I paid through PayPal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok awesome. Ziploc bags are usually what we use and we double bag as well. Just wanted to be sure that would be alright. I'm assuming putting actual cash inside of the envelope would be acceptable? I haven't used a check in...ive never used one actually lol. Gotta love debit cards :)

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The double bagging was what Helena instructed meto do. It helps to keep tje sample moist while in transit. I'd assume she takes cash, it's just sketchy mailing cash these days. A lot of people have never used checks, online payments and cards have made them obsolete. I still use them though, because I'm lame like that :)

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Haha well it's probably a good thing to be able to use, this situation is a good example.
I'll just pay through PayPal this time to keep things simple

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep when I mailed some in I double bagged it, I put $ in a baggy as requested as they've gotten stinky $ before lol then I put the poop bags into another bigger one then all into a bubble lined envelope and did 2-3day mail.The other time I did paypal

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks, good to know they aren't too picky about the method I use to pay :)

My step dad has a very nice microscope that I want so bad [emoji51] I'm going to talk to him and see if I can use it. I'd like to learn how to test her poo myself eventually.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
When I ordered supplements from beautifuldragons, I saw that they sold microscopes, fecal float kits, and other equipment. And everything was really affordable as far as lab equipment is concerned.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks for that info I will have to take a look. I did quite a bit of in depth research last night and this morning and would like to begin examining Spyras poo myself.
I'm now 100% sure it is the Dipylidium species of tapeworm. The white things we are seeing are actually egg shells (not worms) that can move [emoji51]
My step father has agreed to let me barrow his microscope for now to examine things further. I also found a pharmacist on Instagram that recently started a company called "your pet source" and I ordered some Praziquantel at a low mg designed for reptiles. I am going to give her a very low dose every 2 weeks and do a total of 3 doses along with daily doses of probiotic and than examine her feces again.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Do you want to see if Helena agrees with the diagnosis? If she does, she can help you figure out what dose to give Spyra, so that there's zero guess work involved.

And as a side note, egg shells that move are beyond creepy.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I thought the same thing about the eggs [emoji15] but looking into things I've actually learned a lot about tapeworm lol

I'm out of town for the next few days due to school. So I'm counting on Maddie to go ahead and mail her the sample. I am going to look at it through the microscope and see what I think and than use her expert opinion to make sure I'm correct before I begin any treatment.

For anyone else that may read this please do not attempt to diagnose and treat your dragon without a vets help/advice, its risky. I would not even consider it if I had a vet around that could actual help us out.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So before sending a feces sample off Maddie contacted the vet tech that originally performed the fecal exam. She confirmed that we heard her correctly and that Spyra does have tapeworm. She explained the vet didn't want to treat it unless it became problematic. Well we do not want to wait for it to become problematic so we told her we are going to treat it ourselves.
She agreed to preform another fecal examine for us once Spyra's treatment is over. Just wanted to let you guys know where we are at with all of that.
We are going to go ahead and give her daily doses of probiotics this week (we've been slacking with that) along with plenty of food and water and begin treatment next week. This will allow us plenty of time to get everything together to make slurries if need be.

I will keep you guys updated and let you know how our woman is doing :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So before sending a feces sample off Maddie contacted the vet tech that originally performed the fecal exam. She confirmed that we heard her correctly and that Spyra does have tapeworm. She explained the vet didn't want to treat it unless it became problematic. Well we do not want to wait for it to become problematic so we told her we are going to treat it ourselves.
She agreed to preform another fecal examine for us once Spyra's treatment is over. Just wanted to let you guys know where we are at with all of that.
We are going to go ahead and give her daily doses of probiotics this week (we've been slacking with that) along with plenty of food and water and begin treatment next week. This will allow us plenty of time to get everything together to make slurries if need be.

I will keep you guys updated and let you know how our woman is doing :)

Well poop :( but at least you know what your dealing with.. and now you can get prepared for treatment and keeping her healthy during...

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well poop :( but at least you know what your dealing with.. and now you can get prepared for treatment and keeping her healthy during...

I've done a ton of research so hopefully all goes good. I really wish they would've just treated her, I would've preferred them to treat this over pinworms. It makes no sense to me. At least we have you guys to lean on for support and advice :) Spyras a tough cookie. As long as we keep the dose very low and properly spaced out I think she'll be fine

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've done a ton of research so hopefully all goes good. I really wish they would've just treated her, I would've preferred them to treat this over pinworms. It makes no sense to me. At least we have you guys to lean on for support and advice :) Spyras a tough cookie. As long as we keep the dose very low and properly spaced out I think she'll be fine

Yea I hear ya but nothing you can do now so now we move forward and get her thru this treatment..Yep you've got alot of experience here behind you..

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Proud mom bragging moment. Tonight I gave Spyra her probiotics, we usually have to gently hold her down and force her mouth open to take it. This time she knew the deal. She seen the syringe and jumped onto my leg and started lunging at it licking it [emoji16]

I just hope we can finally get her back to full health and rid of these worms. It's been a rough 2 months for Rae and I, but Spyra definitely hasn't shown she's bothered at all lol.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Lol she must like the taste of the probiotic. Let's hope she starts doing the same with salads :)

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm glad you got a definitive answer! Now you know how to treat it. She'll be worm free in no time :)

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you Eavlynn. I trust the vet tech much more than the actual vet lol. Wish he would hand her the stirring wheel and allow her to treat our girl

Latest posts