• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vet in Chicago?

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
Ok what you can do is open up the end of the tank screen so the very end is opened and place the UVB going width wise across the tank instead of length wise that way hes getting both UVB and temps -- when are you replacing the tank ?
We are going to buy one come Friday (payday). Will adjust the lights thank you.

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
He will go to the light he needs --- my UVB is not over the main basking area but I have a 2nd one set up in the middle of my tank where the UVB is in front of the 75 watt basking bulb- temps in that area are 90's - get a temp where the UVB is at and see what it is -- he should be fine -- he will go sit under it when he needs to - just watch him- also you might want to get some decor that gives a gradient heat -- like this
this piece gives gradient heat temps I use two of these in my two tanks - I have the long stick part on the floor of the tank and the big thick trunk piece under the basking lamp --
I have this exact stick! I had taken it out a while ago and didn’t put it back in. I’ll do a clean on it and put it in.

Hanna B

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is anyone in this thread from Chicago and or know any reputable exotic vets in the area? I’ve been to a few but I’d like someone experienced with beardies, my guys being a bit lethargic and I’m concerned.
Care Animal Hospital in Libertyville (Up North) -Great vet, friendly staff, budget friendly
Vet Emergency Group in Linclon Park (City) -Emerancies only

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
Care Animal Hospital in Libertyville (Up North) -Great vet, friendly staff, budget friendly
Vet Emergency Group in Linclon Park (City) -Emerancies only
Thank you so much, as of right now he is seeming to be a bit happier but we are still hoping to get him into see someone. Giving him until we upgrade his viv to a larger size and he acclimates as we had him in recently the the vet said he looked fine. He also doesn’t show any signs of discomfort or lack of mobility it seems he’s more so choosing not to move much. Since changing his lighting set ups around and getting that screen out of the way he has been hanging out between the different sides of his log which is under both uvb and heat lamp. He seems to be much happier with this as he’s falling asleep in the same spot he hangs out in on the log all day only coming down to eat salad. Working on getting some of the bugs mentioned in Sadies previous nutritional posts as well as some fresh fruits (will be easier where I’m at with the change of the season) as of now he’s eating lots of turnip collard and mustard greens and his gut loaded Dubai’s. I do appreciate everyone’s continued help and support in this thread especially Sadie! I will continue to keep you all updated as I see hopefully a more active lizard friend.

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you so much, as of right now he is seeming to be a bit happier but we are still hoping to get him into see someone. Giving him until we upgrade his viv to a larger size and he acclimates as we had him in recently the the vet said he looked fine. He also doesn’t show any signs of discomfort or lack of mobility it seems he’s more so choosing not to move much. Since changing his lighting set ups around and getting that screen out of the way he has been hanging out between the different sides of his log which is under both uvb and heat lamp. He seems to be much happier with this as he’s falling asleep in the same spot he hangs out in on the log all day only coming down to eat salad. Working on getting some of the bugs mentioned in Sadies previous nutritional posts as well as some fresh fruits (will be easier where I’m at with the change of the season) as of now he’s eating lots of turnip collard and mustard greens and his gut loaded Dubai’s. I do appreciate everyone’s continued help and support in this thread especially Sadie! I will continue to keep you all updated as I see hopefully a more active lizard friend.
@Sadie ^

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Is anyone in this thread from Chicago and or know any reputable exotic vets in the area? I’ve been to a few but I’d like someone experienced with beardies, my guys being a bit lethargic and I’m concerned.
Hi; we rescue & rehome in Cali. The biggest mistake people make is using the wrong UVB light and/or forgetting to replace it every “6” Mnths. All UVB lights need replacing every “6”mnths religiously & the best most recommended is the long tubular one called the Reptisun 10.0 T5. The length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank and be placed starting at the hot/basking side. U can order online or get it from a specialty reptile store. Never ever use the coiled ones & for heat always a CLEAR bulb the zoomed basking bulb is the best. As far as a vet; google or ask breeders or specialty stores. GL but def switch out your UVB asap & always every 6Mnths. Here’s a pic

Attachments

• 36F0C767-6FB5-4B0E-9293-2C9408CE7054.jpeg
    36F0C767-6FB5-4B0E-9293-2C9408CE7054.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 6DF55516-EC67-4983-ACA8-74FD53799FD5.jpeg
    6DF55516-EC67-4983-ACA8-74FD53799FD5.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 0

CjenSock

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was waiting to reply to your thread here till I actually went to the vet, which was today. The office is located in Sturtevant WI which is about an hour and 20 min from Chicago. I live about an hour west of Sturtevant so the travel distance is similar. My previous vet experiences have been in Milwaukee and very very expensive. The vet I went to is For Pets Sake Veterinary clinic today to have my Ben seen, he has had loose stools and the last was very very smelly. I also wanted to establish him with a new vet. So I booked an appointment with them Monday... and they called Wednesday to see if I could get in earlier due to a cancellation but I couldn't.

First impressions, the people were all very nice. The assistant was asked a million questions, which was good, she loves reptiles and breeds various species of geckos. The doc came in and asked a bunch of questions, did an exam and was very knowledgeable. I wasn't able to get a stool sample before I brought him in due to the timeframe from asking for the app to actually being seen so this was something she really wanted. She said she did not want to just give Ben meds without giving a sample because she did not want to tax his body... she said she will give mammals meds on the suspicion of an infection/parasites etc but she wont for reptiles because of how much it taxes their bodies.

I am totally fine with that. She gave me things I would need to collect the sample and said once I have it to drop it off. She also said that since he is now a patient, as long as I keep up with yearly visits I can bring samples when I want them to be tested.

The cost of this visit was $101.50. The lab test once I get the sample is $121. All in all I was very satisfied with this Vet, their staff, the office space and coming from the last Vet visit in Milwaukee costing almost $800.... def satisfied with the price.

Hanna B

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's good! I take my beardie (Jake) to the care animal hospital for check ups as well, so if I need a wellness visit instead of emergency care, then they are there as well.

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
Update on your dragon please
Hi Sadie sorry it has been so long. Beardie has been doing a lot better, he’s been more active thoughtout the day consistently glass surfing wanting to come out of his viv and run around which we let him do for 20 mins every now and then to get his energy out. I think the lighting set ups and better decor set up has helping him alot. I do have one concern being his left arm is a bit swollen. I’m still planning on getting him into the vet for this but only noticed it yesterday and other than that he had been doing great so I was putting off the vet visit. Going to get him in this weekend now due to this arm swelling. Any tips until I am able to bring him in? He doesn’t seem in any pain and he is using his arm and running regularly. It doesn’t seem like he’s flinching when I touch his arm either. Overall he is in good spirits thanks to your help, and a vet visit coming soon.

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
Hi; we rescue & rehome in Cali. The biggest mistake people make is using the wrong UVB light and/or forgetting to replace it every “6” Mnths. All UVB lights need replacing every “6”mnths religiously & the best most recommended is the long tubular one called the Reptisun 10.0 T5. The length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank and be placed starting at the hot/basking side. U can order online or get it from a specialty reptile store. Never ever use the coiled ones & for heat always a CLEAR bulb the zoomed basking bulb is the best. As far as a vet; google or ask breeders or specialty stores. GL but def switch out your UVB asap & always every 6Mnths. Here’s a pic
Thank you very much, my current bulb is the Arcadia t5 and it is about three months old. Will get a new one in a month, I do appreciate your help. Does the Arcadia t5 satisfy in your experience? I have it 10 inches no screen above his basking decor and about 12 inches about the floor of the Viv.

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
That's good! I take my beardie (Jake) to the care animal hospital for check ups as well, so if I need a wellness visit instead of emergency care, then they are there as well.
They are a bit far as I don’t have a car, but if I can find a ride I will use them. Thank you so much Hanna.

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
I was waiting to reply to your thread here till I actually went to the vet, which was today. The office is located in Sturtevant WI which is about an hour and 20 min from Chicago. I live about an hour west of Sturtevant so the travel distance is similar. My previous vet experiences have been in Milwaukee and very very expensive. The vet I went to is For Pets Sake Veterinary clinic today to have my Ben seen, he has had loose stools and the last was very very smelly. I also wanted to establish him with a new vet. So I booked an appointment with them Monday... and they called Wednesday to see if I could get in earlier due to a cancellation but I couldn't.

First impressions, the people were all very nice. The assistant was asked a million questions, which was good, she loves reptiles and breeds various species of geckos. The doc came in and asked a bunch of questions, did an exam and was very knowledgeable. I wasn't able to get a stool sample before I brought him in due to the timeframe from asking for the app to actually being seen so this was something she really wanted. She said she did not want to just give Ben meds without giving a sample because she did not want to tax his body... she said she will give mammals meds on the suspicion of an infection/parasites etc but she wont for reptiles because of how much it taxes their bodies.

I am totally fine with that. She gave me things I would need to collect the sample and said once I have it to drop it off. She also said that since he is now a patient, as long as I keep up with yearly visits I can bring samples when I want them to be tested.

The cost of this visit was $101.50. The lab test once I get the sample is $121. All in all I was very satisfied with this Vet, their staff, the office space and coming from the last Vet visit in Milwaukee costing almost $800.... def satisfied with the price.
Thank you very much for your thought out and well crafted response. As I don’t have a car I most likely will not be able to make it out to this vet while they sound amazing. I do appreciate your perspective and if you’d ever like to carpool let me know! Haha

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
Hi Sadie sorry it has been so long. Beardie has been doing a lot better, he’s been more active thoughtout the day consistently glass surfing wanting to come out of his viv and run around which we let him do for 20 mins every now and then to get his energy out. I think the lighting set ups and better decor set up has helping him alot. I do have one concern being his left arm is a bit swollen. I’m still planning on getting him into the vet for this but only noticed it yesterday and other than that he had been doing great so I was putting off the vet visit. Going to get him in this weekend now due to this arm swelling. Any tips until I am able to bring him in? He doesn’t seem in any pain and he is using his arm and running regularly. It doesn’t seem like he’s flinching when I touch his arm either. Overall he is in good spirits thanks to your help, and a vet visit coming soon.
@Sadie

Attachments

• 1BCC134D-4888-4A76-A6BE-B82ED1CA7143.jpeg
    1BCC134D-4888-4A76-A6BE-B82ED1CA7143.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • A3947AFC-3A0F-4D79-B88B-D6682AA35F71.jpeg
    A3947AFC-3A0F-4D79-B88B-D6682AA35F71.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 511C85A4-3C90-45D7-9457-F4879F894FFE.jpeg
    511C85A4-3C90-45D7-9457-F4879F894FFE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1