• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vet in Chicago?

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
Is anyone in this thread from Chicago and or know any reputable exotic vets in the area? I’ve been to a few but I’d like someone experienced with beardies, my guys being a bit lethargic and I’m concerned.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is anyone in this thread from Chicago and or know any reputable exotic vets in the area? I’ve been to a few but I’d like someone experienced with beardies, my guys being a bit lethargic and I’m concerned.
Lighting in the tank will cause this- parasites--- please go over your uvb coil or tube basking temps and how are you taking them- let's rule those out first and go from there

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
Lighting in the tank will cause this- parasites--- please go over your uvb coil or tube basking temps and how are you taking them- let's rule those out first and go from there
I have a tube that covers 75 percent of the length of the tank. I read my temperatures with in vivarium thermometers, they read warm side as 85° F and cool side as 75°. When I check with a digital probe thermometer it reads as 92° on the warm side and 80° on the cool side. We have two heat lamps and not that large of an enclosure so I am perplexed how to get his temperatures up.

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
I believe it is an Arcadia T5 bulb, I just recently replaced my old one since I believed it was no longer supplying him sufficient light. It is about 2 months old.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a tube that covers 75 percent of the length of the tank. I read my temperatures with in vivarium thermometers, they read warm side as 85° F and cool side as 75°. When I check with a digital probe thermometer it reads as 92° on the warm side and 80° on the cool side. We have two heat lamps and not that large of an enclosure so I am perplexed how to get his temperatures up.
What wattage are you using - is the basking bulb a clear solid bright white basking bulb? The uvb is a tube I need brand and bulb T 5 or a T 8 please where in the tank is it ? They have certain distance and placement depending on the screen -- how old is the bulb-- the cool side of the tank is too cool you want 80ish temps during the day

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Where in the tank ? Your screen will determine where the uvb goes- fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type- the T 5 needs to be replaced every yr I recommend a month prior to install-- how big is the tank how old is the dragon

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
Where in the tank ? Your screen will determine where the uvb goes- fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type- the T 5 needs to be replaced every yr I recommend a month prior to install-- how big is the tank how old is the dragon
I have it outside of the screen because I was concerned about it being too close to him and blinding him, we have too small of an enclosure I believe as he is almost a year old. Upgrading to a 4x2x2 as soon as possible. Right now it is a 18x18x36in. Should I place the light under the screen inside his tank? It will only be about 16 inches from his floor and 10 from his basking spot. Only about 1 inch from his hammock. Thank you for all your help I do appreciate you.

Attachments

• E4EE9EED-97C9-4646-A976-C35E4208C1A5.jpeg
    E4EE9EED-97C9-4646-A976-C35E4208C1A5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
I have it outside of the screen because I was concerned about it being too close to him and blinding him, we have too small of an enclosure I believe as he is almost a year old. Upgrading to a 4x2x2 as soon as possible. Right now it is a 18x18x36in. Should I place the light under the screen inside his tank? It will only be about 16 inches from his floor and 10 from his basking spot. Only about 1 inch from his hammock. Thank you for all your help I do appreciate you.
The top is a mesh screen, it has very small holes. We’ve cut an opening for his heat lamp could do that as well for his uvb.

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
What wattage are you using - is the basking bulb a clear solid bright white basking bulb? The uvb is a tube I need brand and bulb T 5 or a T 8 please where in the tank is it ? They have certain distance and placement depending on the screen -- how old is the bulb-- the cool side of the tank is too cool you want 80ish temps during the day
Do you have any heat lamp recommendations to get his temps up a bit more? Using ones from reptisun currently.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you have any heat lamp recommendations to get his temps up a bit more? Using ones from reptisun currently.
Ok your screen is a fine mesh from what I can see - please get it inside the tank the screen blocks 30% of the rays- that big log is going to be too close to the uvb T 5's need a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- show me exactly what basking bulbs you are using and wattages please

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The top is a mesh screen, it has very small holes. We’ve cut an opening for his heat lamp could do that as well for his uvb.
You can do that distance still needs to be 12-15 inches- the bulb is too close to have it any closer

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
Ok your screen is a fine mesh from what I can see - please get it inside the tank the screen blocks 30% of the rays- that big log is going to be too close to the uvb T 5's need a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- show me exactly what basking bulbs you are using and wattages please
I have attached photos, I cut a hole for his uvb as a temporary fix until we get him a mounting for it inside his new larger viv. It is now the correct distance from his basking spot I believe. I also have attached the bulbs I am using. There is two of them in my lighting unit and it still is not warm enough. Maybe because of the open screen top?

Attachments

• 84BDCF85-C876-4C6E-83DD-BD0519A9ABDE.jpeg
    84BDCF85-C876-4C6E-83DD-BD0519A9ABDE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • BFD6301D-E891-419E-ADD4-4AB24340A23A.jpeg
    BFD6301D-E891-419E-ADD4-4AB24340A23A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
image.jpg

Here’s a photo of our Nakai for reference. He wants to go to bed now haha. Thanks again for your continued help.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have attached photos, I cut a hole for his uvb as a temporary fix until we get him a mounting for it inside his new larger viv. It is now the correct distance from his basking spot I believe. I also have attached the bulbs I am using. There is two of them in my lighting unit and it still is not warm enough. Maybe because of the open screen top?
Are you using both of the 100 watt bulbs? Place the probe directly on the spot hes sitting to bask- wait 10 min or so get the temp- tell me what it is-- that's alot of wattage to be getting that low of a temp

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You want those basking lamps directly over him- move the log/ hide going long ways toward front of tank so it's under the uvb and basking lamps

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
Are you using both of the 100 watt bulbs? Place the probe directly on the spot hes sitting to bask- wait 10 min or so get the temp- tell me what it is-- that's alot of wattage to be getting that low of a temp
I will do right now and get back to you, I just turned to light off so give me 20 mins for it to heat up. Thank you so much.

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
You want those basking lamps directly over him- move the log/ hide going long ways toward front of tank so it's under the uvb and basking lamps
Will do and send another pic. Thank you so much

Gjwo

Hatchling Dragon
I just unscrewed them and noticed one is a 75 watt exo terra and one is a 100 watt reptisun. Apologies I misspoke. But they are still putting out a lot of heat I would assume.
Waiting on the basking spot to warm back up to take a reading.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just unscrewed them and noticed one is a 75 watt exo terra and one is a 100 watt reptisun. Apologies I misspoke. But they are still putting out a lot of heat I would assume.
Waiting on the basking spot to warm back up to take a reading.
Ok once we get this figured out we need to watch his behavior and see what he does w/ the adjustment- is he eating?