• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

rex isn't eating very well help

marmite29

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi my male beardie isn't feeding very well and it all started since I gave him Meal worms, he ate them fine then the day after he was just really sleepy he laid in the same spot for a day and half I've just tried him with some hoppers but he only managed to eat 2 which is not like him at all he's usually eaten 4/5 before nexo the female eats 2,

I,m a little worried because out of both my dragons he's the most lively but for last week he's not been himself he shed on the 28th may so he can't be due again just need a little advice from someone with experience of bearded dragons and what would be the best thing to do for him,

Oh we also gave him a bath thinking he's constipated but turn out he isn't.

Help please

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are different things that can contribute to a loss of appetite. Keep monitoring him and try fruit, sweeter foods sometimes stimulate an appetite.

marmite29

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
he's about 25 weeks, he will not entertain fruit we have tried everything all he's eating is green leafy stuff but fruit is a defo no no he throws as my kids say a hissy fit,
he puffs up and hiss's at the fruit,
I usually feed my dragons about 3pm when there nicely warmed up so i will let you know if he eats anything but its not like him to be off food coz he's usually a ganet lol

marmite29

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well good news Rex managed 4 crickets today which i think is good considering he only ate 2 the other day, he seem more lively but not quite himself yet hopefully he should be back to normal very soon.
Nexo is fantastic she's been eating more than usual, can anybody tell me why Nexo keeps lying on top of Rex and licking his head,

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
well good news Rex managed 4 crickets today which i think is good considering he only ate 2 the other day, he seem more lively but not quite himself yet hopefully he should be back to normal very soon.
Nexo is fantastic she's been eating more than usual, can anybody tell me why Nexo keeps lying on top of Rex and licking his head,

Thats why rex isn't eating well its a dominating position seperate them he should be eating a lot more males and females are best kept in separate tanks really all bearded dragons do better alone.

marmite29

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
right!!! when I bought them the woman in the shop said they would thrive better together but I will buy another viv and separate them see if that works thank you

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try banana & apple. Also, Bill & Karen are correct, your dragons shouldn't be housed 2gether because they can get very territorial. Getting them set up & comfortable will require some trial & error on your part but it's well worth it. Keep asking questions & doing research.

marmite29

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you,, we have just had Rex & Neko out they were roaming on the bed quite happy, i popped them back in viv
but they keep giving me that look, the I want out look, so how long can I keep them out before its too much for them?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They are very curious animals, social & interactive if given the opportunity.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
like everyone has said, beardies do best alone. sometimes females of same age and size can be housed together but ive only seen it with breeders for purposes of space. other than that forget it. males will fight and males and females will be trying to DO IT all the time, not good. i have 12 dragons and 12 tanks and the power bill to prove it. lol

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
like everyone has said, beardies do best alone. sometimes females of same age and size can be housed together but ive only seen it with breeders for purposes of space. other than that forget it. males will fight and males and females will be trying to DO IT all the time, not good. i have 12 dragons and 12 tanks and the power bill to prove it. lol

That ain't no lie :mad:

marmite29

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well both Neko & Rex are eating as usual Rex had a belly full last night we haven't got the space at the moment to separate them as we only live in a 2 bed flat but we are looking for somewhere bigger so once we have found a more spacious property we will separate them,

with Rex not eating well we've started monitored feeding gonna do that for a couple of weeks to get an idea on how much each dragon eats my son who's 9 has started a log book up of what they ate, how much they ate, and what they tend to favour hopefully it will help us provide a better selection and build a better knowledge of our dragons. he's also weighing them which is very funny to watch as they will not stay in the tub for weighing.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't feed mine in there cage I use a tote

chapperz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
we had the very same problem with our two, the older one was dominating the smaller one so he would not eat at all, we seperated them and after a couple of weeks zuko (the smaller beardie) began to eat without me having to hand feed him, if u still have problems with him eating, try puttin a bit if squashed raspberry or apple sauce on ur finger and let them lick it, both are very sweet, and as someone above said, sweet stuff encourages them to eat, also, have u tried wax worms? their a beardie favourite, but they r very fattening so only to be given once a day, ... he may be dehydrated thats y hes lethargic, try misting him or dipping ur finger in some water and touch the tip of his nose with it so he gets a bit of a drink, ... hope this helps :)

Latest posts