• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

One tough little Lady

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:( That is just insane! poor thing she must be miserable. I don't understand why they are not doing more for her?? The more she tries and pushes the more risk of her prolapsing..

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
eavlynn - just an FYI - a laxative wont soften the stool. what laxatives do is increase the motility in the gi tract (technical term is peristalsis) to ":push" the fecal material toward the external anal sphincter (vent) a STOOL SOFTENER may help. BUT - if the plug is already at the vent (and it sounds as if it is) that may provide limited benefit. poor little gal. she's gonna feel so much better when that gets out !! Although it is OK to disagree with your medical provider (yours and your pets') ask them why they suggest or deny a particular treatment. you can also try another vet ??

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
eavlynn - just an FYI - a laxative wont soften the stool. what laxatives do is increase the motility in the gi tract (technical term is peristalsis) to ":push" the fecal material toward the external anal sphincter (vent) a STOOL SOFTENER may help. BUT - if the plug is already at the vent (and it sounds as if it is) that may provide limited benefit. poor little gal. she's gonna feel so much better when that gets out !! Although it is OK to disagree with your medical provider (yours and your pets') ask them why they suggest or deny a particular treatment. you can also try another vet ??
This was the 3rd vet I've seen for my reptiles. I frequently mix up stool softeners and laxatives - I want something to soften the impaction. It seems as though the prune and oil are helping. Yesterday it didn't feel as solid when I massaged her belly. I'm hoping that today's warm soak yields a good result.

The vet's go to reasoning for shooting down my ideas is "I haven't had much luck with that". I'm not having much luck with doing nothing, which he seems to think is the answer. So I'd like to take a more proactive approach to help resolve the issue. I'm at my wits end with reptile vets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have good news! I gave Lady her daily soak and belly rub and what we managed to get out of her was mind blowing! I can't believe there was so much waste matter in such a tiny body cavity. And I'll never know how she just pushed that out, but I couldn't be happier! I'd post photos, but I don't think you would all get the same happy feeling from the photos haha. I'm so relieved. I don't usually look forward to cleaning up poop, but I think I might throw a party when she does her first solo bowel movement!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have good news! I gave Lady her daily soak and belly rub and what we managed to get out of her was mind blowing! I can't believe there was so much waste matter in such a tiny body cavity. And I'll never know how she just pushed that out, but I couldn't be happier! I'd post photos, but I don't think you would all get the same happy feeling from the photos haha. I'm so relieved. I don't usually look forward to cleaning up poop, but I think I might throw a party when she does her first solo bowel movement!

This is fantastic!!!!! She has GOT to feel better now!! I know the longest one of mine went was 19 days..

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Now that our little baby is on track to a good recovery, it's time to take another look at a nagging question. Little Lady has very pronounced pores on the rear legs, which leads me to believe that lady is actually a laddy. So, does anyone have some good male names for this little baby? I'm at a loss and my boyfriend's suggestions are rather awful haha.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Now that our little baby is on track to a good recovery, it's time to take another look at a nagging question. Little Lady has very pronounced pores on the rear legs, which leads me to believe that lady is actually a laddy. So, does anyone have some good male names for this little baby? I'm at a loss and my boyfriend's suggestions are rather awful haha.

i vote Sunny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hmm, I'm not sure about Sunny, he's rather dark in color, though he does have a bright personality.

Titan is one to keep in mind.

I like Lucky, too. He definitely is a lucky little dude. I thought about the name Chance, because he definitely beat the odds.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So glad that she got it out!!! I was going to suggest something real far fetched and out there to get it to come out, but I'll save that for another time now LOL!
What were you going to suggest? Now I'm curious lol. Hopefully I never have to deal with another impaction, but you can never have too many cards up your sleeve!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What were you going to suggest? Now I'm curious lol. Hopefully I never have to deal with another impaction, but you can never have too many cards up your sleeve!

LOL, I was going to suggest taking a q-tip and rubbing some KY Jelly on her vent. Since the impaction made its way to the vent I thought MAYBE the lubricant would help it come out.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
LOL, I was going to suggest taking a q-tip and rubbing some KY Jelly on her vent. Since the impaction made its way to the vent I thought MAYBE the lubricant would help it come out.
Kind of like an at home enema. Not a bad idea. I'm glad it didn't come to that. He seems like he feels a lot better. The kinking in his spine is improving as well, since we got the impaction worked out.

I think I'm sticking with Chance, for his new name. I constantly remind myself that she is actually a he lol. He's doing great. I'm working on mild physical therapy to help improve the function of his rear legs. He may be slightly handicapped, but he's a quick little munchkin!

ea0db4c8d5c47b2b796b5725abdb6e45.jpg

60429d975d40345f2b2887a19beb8cdd.jpg

e2b3fc9b3b68f0a405cd4c105414c228.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awe he's looking way better! I like Chance Good job! now to get some weight on and build him up..nice warm soaks and gentle toothbrush to those pores, and the water will be good therapy.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Awe he's looking way better! I like Chance Good job! now to get some weight on and build him up..nice warm soaks and gentle toothbrush to those pores, and the water will be good therapy.
Hopefully he does better with water therapy than Ruth did. I've been moving and stretching his legs in the evening. Thankfully it's just his rear legs that are impaired, but it doesn't slow him down at all! Every day he's got more energy since we got the impaction worked out.

I'm still waiting on a bowel movement. Nothing yet, but palpation of his belly makes me thing that there's no longer any obstruction.

I'm going to switch between homemade slurries and critical care formula. I happen to think my slurries are great, and I don't know the ingredients of the critical care, which makes me skeptical.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Kind of like an at home enema. Not a bad idea. I'm glad it didn't come to that. He seems like he feels a lot better. The kinking in his spine is improving as well, since we got the impaction worked out.

I think I'm sticking with Chance, for his new name. I constantly remind myself that she is actually a he lol. He's doing great. I'm working on mild physical therapy to help improve the function of his rear legs. He may be slightly handicapped, but he's a quick little munchkin!

ea0db4c8d5c47b2b796b5725abdb6e45.jpg

60429d975d40345f2b2887a19beb8cdd.jpg

e2b3fc9b3b68f0a405cd4c105414c228.jpg

I like Chance, I think it fits him well.

You will adjust lol. When we first got Spyra "she" was Spyro. It took awhile to get use to the fact that she was indeed a female. Soon you won't be able to see Chance as anything other than your handsome little boy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well, we were going to cancel Chance's vet visit for Tuesday, but it looks like we'll be keeping it. I noticed that the very tip of his tail appears necrotic, so I'll see what the vet wants to do. Surgery is likely the little dudes only option, but if there's a local anesthetic that could be used instead of doing a procedure under full anesthesia, I think it would be in his best interest. He's still so darn fragile. This poor little guy, the blows just keep coming.

Latest posts