• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Official CrypticDragons Hisser thread

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
In the words of my Grandson Michael........That's UCKY!!!

The artistic side of me thinks that the coloring is pretty but I would just die if one of those came speeding by!! Aren't they really big to even feed the beardies? That things gotta be more than 2.5" long!!! I am not usually squeamish about such things but I'd have to think about those things for a LONG time before I got them!! Again...I think it's just the thought of one or more of them getting out and running around the house!!! I think the cats and dog would even run and hide from one of those things!!! LOL!! Actually they ARE'NT much smaller than the DOG!!!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's not all that bad, Vesta. They don't bite. About the worst thing that could happen is to have one of them crawl across your face while you're sleeping. ;D

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
YOU TOUCHED THEM...OMG what happened to I will not let bugs crawl on me? those things could pick you up and carry you away, better make sure they do not get out.

No, yuck, Craig, don't think I will be able to sleep tonight

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That's just GROSS Craiger!!! I pick up supers by the handful and have done the same with crickets so I am by NO means a sissy!! But to hold that and then have it hiss at me would be a little too much for even me I think!!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They really arent that bad.

You dont feed off the adults (least not to beardies as the chitin on adults is super thick) but you feed the nymphs. Perfect in every stage, not including adulthood. This hissing noise was a bit to get used to (though they quit within minutes of getting into their home). And I didnt really let them crawl on me as much as i just held one. They arent big movers so they are very content to just sit on your hand. And nope I do not have small hands lol.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think I'm just a gonna take your word for it guys!!! Maybe some day I'll be a grown up about it!! I just know how many crickets escape around here. I guess my real issue is that I am having a hard time believing that one won't escape and then I'll have those things all over the house. I seriously do have a problem with ants!! I can't stand them. And if they come in the house I get all mental about it. I shudder to think how thes might effect me!!

Some of you may remember the bird mite incident. I am still scarred from it!! :eek: I start itching just thinking about it!! I had heard that it takes some people months to get rid of them!!! I am so pathetic I had them gone in 2 days!!! LOL!!!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Vesta said:
I think I'm just a gonna take your word for it guys!!! Maybe some day I'll be a grown up about it!! I just know how many crickets escape around here. I guess my real issue is that I am having a hard time believing that one won't escape and then I'll have those things all over the house. I seriously do have a problem with ants!! I can't stand them. And if they come in the house I get all mental about it. I shudder to think how thes might effect me!!

Some of you may remember the bird mite incident. I am still scarred from it!! :eek: I start itching just thinking about it!! I had heard that it takes some people months to get rid of them!!! I am so pathetic I had them gone in 2 days!!! LOL!!!
YOu sure you dont want a few of em? lol

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
so my 300+ hissers just became somewere close to 400. I just sat and watch one of my larger females give birth to a 3 inch long row of neonate hissers. after i was able to get to the babies (female hissers are very protective apparently), I picked up the egg sack and counted out 70-80 little white heads with black eyes. I had no idea they gave birth to that many at one time lol. Geez.

I know I should have taken pictures but I was so fascinated that I did not want to walk away and miss it lol.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
so my 300+ hissers just became somewere close to 400. I just sat and watch one of my larger females give birth to a 3 inch long row of neonate hissers. after i was able to get to the babies (female hissers are very protective apparently), I picked up the egg sack and counted out 70-80 little white heads with black eyes. I had no idea they gave birth to that many at one time lol. Geez.

I know I should have taken pictures but I was so fascinated that I did not want to walk away and miss it lol.

That's awesome! I didn't know they birthed that many, either. Geez....it wouldn't take long at all to get a colony of those going.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OH MY WORD.........Yes!!! Please post pics. They are still gross but that would be an interesting thing to see. I have NO idea about anything. I guess I just thought they laid eggs. You can see heads? And eyes? What do you mean by being protective?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
crypticdragons said:

That's awesome! I didn't know they birthed that many, either. Geez....it wouldn't take long at all to get a colony of those going.

Typically they give birth to around 45 so this was deffinately a big clutch of babies. But i counted it twice and came out with right around 75 each time so i know I wasnt off.

Vesta said:
OH MY WORD.........Yes!!! Please post pics. They are still gross but that would be an interesting thing to see. I have NO idea about anything. I guess I just thought they laid eggs. You can see heads? And eyes? What do you mean by being protective?

Hissers produce an egg sack that they expel and retract into a "birthing chamber" in their thorax. The egg sac (about 3-4 inches long) "incubates" in the chamber for around 60 days and then she begins pushing the sac out. At this point the sac is split open due to the growth of the babies, thats how you can see each baby. It was deffinatley a very interesting thing to see on my first day of owning hissers.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
TheWolfmanTom said:
The 1 time I had some hissers Brian I found they where great escape artists.

So are turks. Im versed in that now a days lol. To get out one would have to traverse 8 inches of vaseline and make it under the locking top on their tank and then survive the 15 roach traps within my reptile room lol.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Vesta- everything that you said, same here from one day you might be grown enough to wanting to see pics.

Tom and Brian- that is why I would never have those. I was only considering dubias because I was told they suck at climbing. More power to you for being able to deal with it don't know how you do it. Really don't

crypticdragons said:
They really arent that bad.

And I didnt really let them crawl on me as much as i just held one. They arent big movers so they are very content to just sit on your hand. And nope I do not have small hands lol.

really not that bad, they are the size of my dog :eek: not really but darn near it.
holding one, crawling on you same thing to me.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
Hissers produce an egg sack that they expel and retract into a "birthing chamber" in their thorax. The egg sac (about 3-4 inches long) "incubates" in the chamber for around 60 days and then she begins pushing the sac out. At this point the sac is split open due to the growth of the babies, thats how you can see each baby. It was deffinatley a very interesting thing to see on my first day of owning hissers.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly how my female Dubias birth babies, too.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
crypticdragons said:

I'm pretty sure this is exactly how my female Dubias birth babies, too.

It is the same way as dubia.

Latest posts