• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

not active all of a sudden won't walk around

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i've put it in the tank already. no it doesn't have reflector behind it but it wouldn't be difficult to add something that would be reflective
Ok so get some tin foil put it behind the bulb w/reflective side out--- what that does is reflect the rays downward to him which is what you want -- I would advise getting a new UVB fixture a 24" fixture like a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia ---- here are some links
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html you will need to order the 22" bulb Reptisun 10.0 T 5 it comes w/ a 5.0 which is similar to the one you have now a T 8 - you want the T 5 its a better bulb
or this one 24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html they are out of stock of the bulb that comes w/ it but you can order it separately get the Arcadia 12% bulb these people are fast and good they ship Fed EX
or this https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-O...ocphy=9020114&hvtargid=pla-311792259791&psc=1 you want the 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb 22"
I would upgrade that UVB ASAP--- its going to benefit your dragon in the long run and less headache w/ the fixture your using now --- please let me know what your going to do

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
my current one is 18" long. i'm running into a problem with placing it in the tank cuz the heat is making the light fixture hot and a serious hazard of melting.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Move it to the other side of the tank or middle of the tank - --- he will go to the light he needs --- you can always get a small dome and place over the middle of the tank and have 2 basking spots for him ---- one w/ the 95-100 for hot side and one for 90's -- but right now get it in the tank away from the basking spot --- he needs the UVB til you can decide on what you want to do --- make sure you get a piece of basking decor directly underneath of that uvb 6-8 inches --- you want to stop anymore MBD from developing and the only way to do that is to get that UVB inside the tank and properly placed

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
ok. i have it all set up to get me through till i get what i need. of course while i was doing this the timer turned off so he laid down for the night. i will be getting the right stuff tomorrow first thing. after knowing what told what exactly i needed to use, it didn't take much to look up.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok. i have it all set up to get me through till i get what i need. of course while i was doing this the timer turned off so he laid down for the night. i will be getting the right stuff tomorrow first thing. after knowing what told what exactly i needed to use, it didn't take much to look up.
Try the petstores for the fixture most don't carry that size --- No ZILLA No Thrive brands!

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
this helped a lot and saved me what would most certainly would have been a major headache. didn't realize the difference in lighting and fixture had such a range. i don't think i would have figured it all out if you hadn't helped.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
this helped a lot and saved me what would most certainly would have been a major headache. didn't realize the difference in lighting and fixture had such a range. i don't think i would have figured it all out if you hadn't helped.
No problem - always start w/ lighting first- basking temps too along w/ how they are being taken- if all is correct then you move onto other causes- it's a guessing game but most times it's the lighting or temps- get it straightened out and watch the behavior one everything is situated

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What kinds of food is he getting? I see a dish full of mealworms, are they dead? If so throw them away, dried bugs are only good for emergency situations, they’re sapping all his moisture and gonna make him impacted, bsfl and roaches are the most recommended…

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
What kinds of food is he getting? I see a dish full of mealworms, are they dead? If so throw them away, dried bugs are only good for emergency situations, they’re sapping all his moisture and gonna make him impacted, bsfl and roaches are the most recommended…
they freeze dried. his crickets usually are who eat them. i had just put it in the dish. he is indifferent to them. waits for crickets to get to dish and gets them

BeginnerBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
they freeze dried. his crickets usually are who eat them. i had just put it in the dish. he is indifferent to them. waits for crickets to get to dish and gets them
Is freeze dried crickets what he usually eats or is it like a snack that you give him sometimes?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is freeze dried crickets what he usually eats or is it like a snack that you give him sometimes?
I recommend getting live food - a good staple feeder is dubia roaches - you can order them from here
www.dubiaroaches.com - meal worms are not a good staple feeder ---- are you feeding salads every day?
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
please start feeding fresh food - canned jarred frozen or bagged food is not very good --

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
I recommend getting live food - a good staple feeder is dubia roaches - you can order them from here
www.dubiaroaches.com - meal worms are not a good staple feeder ---- are you feeding salads every day?
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
please start feeding fresh food - canned jarred frozen or bagged food is not very good --
i do give him live crickets, cuz that's all he eats. i've been talking and getting advice about him eating only live crickets. the main reason i have freeze dried is that the crickets eat it and other dry food in a dish. while they eat he watches and stalks them from above and strikes for one while others scatter which he chases down.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i do give him live crickets, cuz that's all he eats. i've been talking and getting advice about him eating only live crickets. the main reason i have freeze dried is that the crickets eat it and other dry food in a dish. while they eat he watches and stalks them from above and strikes for one while others scatter which he chases down.
He needs to start eating salads -- I would get some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com order large and DO NOT dust -- they are a great staple feeder use as many as you want they will lure him to the salad bowl http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
you want a bowl like this to keep them in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Feed first thing in the morning w/ the BSFL on top - put them on top in front of him the movement will get him to the bowl - then after about a hr or so of him eating from the bowl add your crickets in there disable them take a leg or two off so they cant jump out - that way hes back at the bowl eating and hopefully getting salad too - rinse that greens before serving that way hes getting water as well - how does the dragon get water now?

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey girl your beardie is so adorable I remember when my guy was that size. I miss those days lol. You definitely caught the mbd early, I’ll attach some pictures of severe mbd and what happens when it’s prolonged for so long. If your little one is under let’s say 8 months. It’s not the end of the world if they are not eating their salads, it’s very much like getting a toddler to eat veggies. My Starbucks refused to eat anything that didn’t move no matter what I gave him or put in front of him. It wasn’t until he was around 8-9 months before he had some. And trust me I tried it all when he was young and nothing worked. This may make some people upset but just giving them gutloaded crickets as their diet is not bad at all just give the cricket all the collard greens or veggies that are good for beardies. And when he’s a bit older, start with romaine lettuce on the first day, because it’s a lighter green that isn’t so bitter, it he eats it than do half romaine and half greens he should be eating and hopefully but the 3rd or fourth day he’s fully weaned off romaine lettuce. Hope this helps and your doing so well with your beardie :)

Attachments

• 4E965CA1-9BF3-4D47-B250-DEA265F65998.png
    4E965CA1-9BF3-4D47-B250-DEA265F65998.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 9FE794F2-1937-4325-A495-16244EFB0FBF.png
    9FE794F2-1937-4325-A495-16244EFB0FBF.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 6E54A46D-FEDA-4332-8C2E-E82C4C4DB7EF.png
    6E54A46D-FEDA-4332-8C2E-E82C4C4DB7EF.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 17

yfandes5_

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just skimmed over the posts on this & agree with the advice given. Did NOT see a mention of calcium supplementation. All your feeder bugs should be dusted with powdered calcium designed for reptiles. You can powder his salads or buy liquid calcium spray for those. MBD is caused by a lack of UVB, insufficient calcium & feeding inappropriate greens (hi in phosphorus compared to calcium). Phosphorus blocks the absorption/utilization of calcium & many greens have much more phos than Ca. There are several online posts that give the phos/ca ratio for greens suitable for beardies. Dandelion greens are great. Collards aren’t bad but not as good as dandelion. Strongly recommend reading the list of appropriate veggies. Avocado & rhubarb are POISONOUS!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hope this is the right category but i'm concerned. i did my typical routine this morning with my beardie, chased and chased his crickets and all, left for a couple hours to do some errands, but when i got home and looked at him he was laid out on his hammock asleep. i fed and misted him as i usually during the day, but became concerned when i noticed toes and legs were twitching like he was dreaming and walking. he didn't react at all. i picked him up and with not moving his limbs i started to worry. i took him outside to get fresh uv light but still no reaction other than opening eyes to look around. he is still twitching after i put him back. he just closes his eyes still twitching. i turned his heat lamp off and set uvb bulb over him. is this common or a concern?
We rescue and rehome. The UVB needs replacing every “6” Mnths or they get MBD; shakes, tremors, brittle bones, unable to walk or Eat, no energy & eventually death. Beardies need Heat and UVB; both should be on for 10-12 hours in the winter and in the summer 12-14 hours; more like 14 in the summer. All
Lights off at nite for sleeping. Turn on the Heat lamp asap use the zoomed clear basking bulb that’s the best for heat & He needs UVB asap; this twitching is a sign of MBD!! Get the Reptisun 10.0 T5 Long tubular bulb asap; This is the best and most recommended bulb. The length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank and needs replacing religiously every “6” Mnths many people use Incorrect UVB lights, don’t replace it every 6 mnths or they just don’t know and the Beardie suffers & gets MBD/Brittle bones, tremors and shakes & unable to walk to eat. He needs a lot of protein and calcium powder get the one from petco sprinkle the calcium once per day “4” days per week and buy herptivite vitamin to do that once per week on a Non calcium day. Always place the plate of fresh greens/veggies also; mustard greens, yellow squash, dandelions, collard greens, green beans and snap peas are the best everyday ones. U can help him with lots of UVB and calcium & lots of proteins ( crickets/Dubia roaches are great) and the proper Reptisun UVB make sure it’s the 10.0 T5 and get a hideaway for him or place a terry cloth over the hammock so he can get away from the Uvb as needed. Here’s a pic of one of our Enclosures. See the long UVB on top and the round clear zoomed basking lamp for heat above his basking spot. U should mount the long UVB in the tank if u can if not then on top is fine and make sure he’s at least 10inches minimum or more away from the UVB light. GLuck

Attachments

• DCCD3B58-7E2B-486C-BAC1-2E8441DDACB2.jpeg
    DCCD3B58-7E2B-486C-BAC1-2E8441DDACB2.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 9

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey girl your beardie is so adorable I remember when my guy was that size. I miss those days lol. You definitely caught the mbd early, I’ll attach some pictures of severe mbd and what happens when it’s prolonged for so long. If your little one is under let’s say 8 months. It’s not the end of the world if they are not eating their salads, it’s very much like getting a toddler to eat veggies. My Starbucks refused to eat anything that didn’t move no matter what I gave him or put in front of him. It wasn’t until he was around 8-9 months before he had some. And trust me I tried it all when he was young and nothing worked. This may make some people upset but just giving them gutloaded crickets as their diet is not bad at all just give the cricket all the collard greens or veggies that are good for beardies. And when he’s a bit older, start with romaine lettuce on the first day, because it’s a lighter green that isn’t so bitter, it he eats it than do half romaine and half greens he should be eating and hopefully but the 3rd or fourth day he’s fully weaned off romaine lettuce. Hope this helps and your doing so well with your beardie :)
Hi; we rescue & rehome; Salad/lettuce only provides water no nutrition. They need greens/veggies a fresh plate or 2 per day plus proteins. The best everyday greens/veggies are: mustard greens, collard Greens, dandelions; mustard greens they love and they need veggies: yellow squash which is loaded in calcium, butternut squash, green beans and snap peas Amd some red bell peppers are good. Fruits: blueberries, mangoes, papayas ans bananas as treats 1-2 times per week because they are high in sugar. Never feed spinach it binds to calcium and carrots are a no or once in a blue moon the vitamin A is toxic to Beardies.

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
hope this is the right category but i'm concerned. i did my typical routine this morning with my beardie, chased and chased his crickets and all, left for a couple hours to do some errands, but when i got home and looked at him he was laid out on his hammock asleep. i fed and misted him as i usually during the day, but became concerned when i noticed toes and legs were twitching like he was dreaming and walking. he didn't react at all. i picked him up and with not moving his limbs i started to worry. i took him outside to get fresh uv light but still no reaction other than opening eyes to look around. he is still twitching after i put him back. he just closes his eyes still twitching. i turned his heat lamp off and set uvb bulb over him. is this common or a concern?
How is your baby doing? Did he get better

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
We rescue and rehome. The UVB needs replacing every “6” Mnths or they get MBD; shakes, tremors, brittle bones, unable to walk or Eat, no energy & eventually death. Beardies need Heat and UVB; both should be on for 10-12 hours in the winter and in the summer 12-14 hours; more like 14 in the summer. All
Lights off at nite for sleeping. Turn on the Heat lamp asap use the zoomed clear basking bulb that’s the best for heat & He needs UVB asap; this twitching is a sign of MBD!! Get the Reptisun 10.0 T5 Long tubular bulb asap; This is the best and most recommended bulb. The length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank and needs replacing religiously every “6” Mnths many people use Incorrect UVB lights, don’t replace it every 6 mnths or they just don’t know and the Beardie suffers & gets MBD/Brittle bones, tremors and shakes & unable to walk to eat. He needs a lot of protein and calcium powder get the one from petco sprinkle the calcium once per day “4” days per week and buy herptivite vitamin to do that once per week on a Non calcium day. Always place the plate of fresh greens/veggies also; mustard greens, yellow squash, dandelions, collard greens, green beans and snap peas are the best everyday ones. U can help him with lots of UVB and calcium & lots of proteins ( crickets/Dubia roaches are great) and the proper Reptisun UVB make sure it’s the 10.0 T5 and get a hideaway for him or place a terry cloth over the hammock so he can get away from the Uvb as needed. Here’s a pic of one of our Enclosures. See the long UVB on top and the round clear zoomed basking lamp for heat above his basking spot. U should mount the long UVB in the tank if u can if not then on top is fine and make sure he’s at least 10inches minimum or more away from the UVB light. GLuck
i replaced bulb, lowered it, and put it at about 6-8 inches over him. his activity level skyrocketed and he couldn't appear much happier than he is now