• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

not active all of a sudden won't walk around

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
hope this is the right category but i'm concerned. i did my typical routine this morning with my beardie, chased and chased his crickets and all, left for a couple hours to do some errands, but when i got home and looked at him he was laid out on his hammock asleep. i fed and misted him as i usually during the day, but became concerned when i noticed toes and legs were twitching like he was dreaming and walking. he didn't react at all. i picked him up and with not moving his limbs i started to worry. i took him outside to get fresh uv light but still no reaction other than opening eyes to look around. he is still twitching after i put him back. he just closes his eyes still twitching. i turned his heat lamp off and set uvb bulb over him. is this common or a concern?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hope this is the right category but i'm concerned. i did my typical routine this morning with my beardie, chased and chased his crickets and all, left for a couple hours to do some errands, but when i got home and looked at him he was laid out on his hammock asleep. i fed and misted him as i usually during the day, but became concerned when i noticed toes and legs were twitching like he was dreaming and walking. he didn't react at all. i picked him up and with not moving his limbs i started to worry. i took him outside to get fresh uv light but still no reaction other than opening eyes to look around. he is still twitching after i put him back. he just closes his eyes still twitching. i turned his heat lamp off and set uvb bulb over him. is this common or a concern?
I would say yes --- how big were the insects your feeding --- impaction can cause them not moving the legs -- and the UVB your using and placement in the tank ? Please post a pic of him and the tank

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
I would say yes --- how big were the insects your feeding --- impaction can cause them not moving the legs -- and the UVB your using and placement in the tank ? Please post a pic of him and the tank

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_153420.jpg
    IMG_20210730_153420.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20210730_153057.jpg
    IMG_20210730_153057.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB needs to go inside the tank from what I am seeing w/ the screen -- it looks fine mesh type - are you using a T 5 or a T 8 this is going to tell me the distance it needs to be at ---- if you need help w/ ideas on how to hang it please ask I will post some

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
The UVB needs to go inside the tank from what I am seeing w/ the screen -- it looks fine mesh type - are you using a T 5 or a T 8 this is going to tell me the distance it needs to be at ---- if you need help w/ ideas on how to hang it please ask I will post some
i'll take any help that you can give.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i'll take any help that you can give.
What is the bulb T 8 or T 5? How old is the bulb? I need to know bulb so I can tell you distance-- look on the bulb it will tell you also need brand--

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it's t8. don't know exact age of bulb. doesn't say maker and i don't know who did.
You want a Reptisun brand-- if it's over 6 months old replace it--- get it inside the tank--- if there is a cover over the bulb take it off-- distance should be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor- do this ASAP-- if you things to hang it w/ please ask I will post

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
You want a Reptisun brand-- if it's over 6 months old replace it--- get it inside the tank--- if there is a cover over the bulb take it off-- distance should be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor- do this ASAP-- if you things to hang it w/ please ask I will post
i will do this. any idea of how long it would be for he shows signs of getting better?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i will do this. any idea of how long it would be for he shows signs of getting better?
Right away - you will notice a difference in behavior right away-- you need to get this done - he's begining the stages mbd

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
what's that? should i turn his heat lamp off?
No do not turn the heat lamp off-- those two lights are the most important things in that tank+-+ are you taking basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? If not get one- PetSmart or Petco Zoo Med - mbd is a bone disease that effects the bones and dragons need that uvb to absorb and synthesize the calcium they ingest- it also prevents neurological issues--

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i have a digital thermometer. just out of curiosity, why do people say not to use coil bulbs?
Coils are the worst they do not emit enough uvb - I have seen so many dragons die under those bulbs - they should be taken off the market- just a money maker and health hazards to dragons--- I can post some info for you

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
that's fine. i was just curious is all. anyway back to the topic. i run into a major issue on getting the specific bulb. closest place that sells them is a pretty far drive for me cuz i live in the country. and i don't know how soon i can get there. what's the time frame i have?

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
should i leave uvb on overnight? or what do suggest to do with lighting during the night? and would it helped if i took him outside for a little while to get fresh sun?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Time ASAP--- if its more convenient order on line --- order this bulb for your size of fixture I dont know what length you have ----- https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-100-uvb-fluorescent-bulb if they dont have it in stock find it on Amazon --- yes get him outside for good UVB put him in a plastic tote NO GLASS --- direct sunlight / partial shade for 15 minutes DO NOT leave him supervise him you do not want to burn him up dont know how hot it is where you are -- do this several times per day until you get the new bulb -- He should have a 12 hr photo period 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off - that is standard --- DO NOT leave any lights on at nite --- they like cool and dark -- temps around 65-75 --
should i leave uvb on overnight? or what do suggest to do with lighting during the night? and would it helped if i took him outside for a little while to get fresh sun?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here are some things to hang the fixture in the tank -- get it in the tank NOW--- 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- potted plant wire hangers --- fishing line --- and this stuff I use it - its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture -- it works great --- https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
But get the fixture in the tank NOW --- as of this point hes getting NO UVB at all w/ where its sitting
Does the fixture have a reflector in it --- shiny thing behind the bulb looks like aluminum foil ?

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
i've put it in the tank already. no it doesn't have reflector behind it but it wouldn't be difficult to add something that would be reflective