• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newly Adopted Beardie Looks A Little Sad

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a heat light for him, bought the 10.0 Reptisun UVB light and thought I had the right fixture for it at home, but didn't, went to Lowe's and they didn't have it either, so I'm trying a few other places tomorrow. If none of them have it then I guess I'll just go back to the petstore and buy a hood for the tank. He only ate a few crickets today but he also ate a good bit of greens, I picked up some mustard, collard, and turnip greens and gave him that along with a cut up blueberry, a little watermelon, and a bit of tomato. He's not exactly active, but from what I understand beardies don't tend to move around a lot, correct? He let me hold him and I pet his head a bit. I am working on buying a large aquarium for him from my friend sometime next week, not sure how many gallons it holds but it's definitely bigger than 20. I think it's around 50 or so. Thanks for all the help, I'll post a couple of pictures when he's all set up soon! :)

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
I got a heat light for him, bought the 10.0 Reptisun UVB light and thought I had the right fixture for it at home, but didn't, went to Lowe's and they didn't have it either, so I'm trying a few other places tomorrow. If none of them have it then I guess I'll just go back to the petstore and buy a hood for the tank. He only ate a few crickets today but he also ate a good bit of greens, I picked up some mustard, collard, and turnip greens and gave him that along with a cut up blueberry, a little watermelon, and a bit of tomato. He's not exactly active, but from what I understand beardies don't tend to move around a lot, correct? He let me hold him and I pet his head a bit. I am working on buying a large aquarium for him from my friend sometime next week, not sure how many gallons it holds but it's definitely bigger than 20. I think it's around 50 or so. Thanks for all the help, I'll post a couple of pictures when he's all set up soon! :)
Thats good he is eating his greens! It will take him time to get used to new surroundings, sometimes they wont eat or be very active for few days.Once he settles in and is used to his new home he should be more active! So have you giving him a name?Can't wait to see pics when he's all settled in!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh that's great. There's a fixture at Walmart that you can buy. Just before to take off the plastic. It should fit the Reptisun 10.0.

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Even though I'm not sure of his gender, the name Edgar keeps popping into my head for him, we'll see if that name sticks though, but I think it's well-fitting! Walmart was first on my list of places to go tomorrow, so thanks! Thanks for all of the help, you guys helped me to help make Edgar happier!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad that he's doing better! He'll be happy soon with a new light.

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Edgar is doing okay, yesterday and today he hasnt eaten much, which worries me a little. But I think he's doing fine! I bought a heat lamp for him the day after I got him and it broke so I took it back and got a new one and the day after I got the new one it broke too! So he's been without heat for a couple days because I haven't been able to go to the store, but tomorrow I plan on getting him yet another new heat light! But I think he's doing just fine :)

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
Edgar is doing okay, yesterday and today he hasnt eaten much, which worries me a little. But I think he's doing fine! I bought a heat lamp for him the day after I got him and it broke so I took it back and got a new one and the day after I got the new one it broke too! So he's been without heat for a couple days because I haven't been able to go to the store, but tomorrow I plan on getting him yet another new heat light! But I think he's doing just fine :)
Yea that's probably why he's not eating much, what bulbs are you getting? Only time I had one bust was when I was misting him and water got up in the bulb, if he's cold he wont eat much, they need the heat to digest the food.If you get a working light he will be good!

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've been getting the exo terra infrared 100w basking spot bulbs, but after 2 broken ones I'm trying something different! The first one broke when my boyfriend put the lamp down on the ground and his shirt that was on the floor caught on fire and then the bulb just popped. The other one worked fine for about 10 hours then just stopped. For right now, Edgar has a tank heating pad under his tank. It's meant to heat people, but he seems to appreciate it anyway! Plus the room he's in rarely has the air conditioner on so it's normally pretty warm anyway. Thanks again for the advice! :)

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
Anytime!just make sure as soon as you get basking heat lamp you take heating pad out,they can't sense the heat on their bellys and can burn them.they have a heat sensor on top if their heads that lets them know if they are too hot under heat lamp,and will move to cooler side

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
I didn't know that, that's interesting. Thanks for that info. Got him a new heat light today and I turned the heat pad off! I should be getting him a 20gallon tank sometime this week, I think that'll make him happier too :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
With bulbs, make sure the voltage of the bulb matches the voltage of the fixture you are using. If the voltage is more than the fixture is made for it will blow the bulb out.

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, we decided to check that after the bulb blew (we should've checked before, oops) but the lamp said it could use lights up to 150w and we were using a 100w bulb, but now there's a different brand light bulb and a different fixture being used, so hopefully all will be good now. Thanks! :)

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just a little update on Edgar and one more question! His new bulb is doing fine and he's getting upgraded from a 10gal to a 20gal this weekend! Don't worry, he'll be getting bigger tanks as they become available/as I can find them, but because he's so tiny a 20 gallon will be fine for now, right? He's been a lot more active and he's eating anywhere from 3-8 crickets a day and plenty of greens! He seems to be adjusting well.
My question. Today, he was sitting on the edge of his water bowl, with his front leg and head resting on the edge. His water wasn't completely full so I filled it up and as I filled it up he began licking the air so I dribbled some water on his head and he started drinking. Now, several hours later, he's laying in his water dish and he's been there for about an hour. I know beardies are supposed to get baths. but do they normally like water this much? Is there anything wrong with him doing this?

Pictures of him in the water
beardie6.jpg beardie 7.jpg

Latest posts