• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newly Adopted Beardie Looks A Little Sad

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just bought a beardie off Cragslist today. It is apparently two years old (I believe the guy) and it is missing one of its front legs and back foot. This occurred from the first owner (I bought it from its second owner, as far as I know). It was being housed with another beardie and first owner came home to see they had fought and this one had apparently lost. But it gets around just fine! It's obviously extremely tiny for its age, 2 years old and roughly 7 inches long. It came with lights, however they just appear to be normal household lights, one is a fluorescent lightbulb and the other is a Sylvania brand light. I'm going to the pet store first thing tomorrow to pick up some appropriate lights. This is my first beardie so I just wanted to know what your guys' opinions are on its health, in general and what I can do to help my new friend out. I've kept a Pacman frog before and am currently housing a Giant Day Gecko so it's not my first reptile . I fed it about a dozen crickets today and gave it an impromptu salad made of celery, strawberries, raspberries, green beans and peas. Not exactly the healthiest diet but it was all I had on hand, I wasnt expecting to get a dragon today haha. It ate a few pieces of celery. It came with a 10 gal aquarium which it's in now, but I plan on moving it to a 20 gal tomorrow. Any other advice on what to do for it? I think it looks a bit skinny so I'm definitely going to try to fatten it up if need be.

Thanks for the help, sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, just seemed like the best fit!

beardie1.jpg beardie2.jpg beardie3.jpg beardie4.jpg beardie5.jpg

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
Poor guy! He is very small for his age..this is definitely the place you want to be to get the best help,very helpful and knowledgeable people on this site..definitely needs 10.0 uvb bulb,basking spot of 108-110degs,and cool side of around 80-85degs,that's just to get started! There are alot of people on here to help you better,you will also need to dust his food with calcium powder..he's a cutie good luck..and ask away!

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
Can he climb? He will need something he can walk up or climb to get warm under heat lamps,if you look under the enclosure sight on here it may give you some ideas of how to set up his enclosure.

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
For the 10.0 UVB bulb, can it be one that fits in a regular dome lamp or does it have to be one of the long ones ?He can climb just fine, surprisingly. His set up came with a tall fake tree type ornament that he climbs on, I just took it out so he could hunt (I need to find a separate feeding tank for him) and it was taking up so much room in his tank, I'll definitely put it back in tomorrow! Thanks!

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
Needs to be the tube 10.0 uvb reptisun is a good one,he may do better in a bigger house,more room to run around in,20 gal for his size is ok for now,but he would be a happy boy if he had lots of space,and places to run around,I found its cheaper to make your own than to buy bigger aquarium,if you have the time to do so..we made ours for around 180$

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
Do you know if he is a dwarf beardie? I've never saw one that small at his age,my friend has a dwarf,they stay pretty small,even full grown.

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
I already have a 20gal sitting in my basement so that's why I was going to use that size, but I will definitely upgrade it when I can. What materials did you use to build your enclosure? Do you think he has any chance of growing more?

I don't think he's a dwarf, I didn't even know dwarf dragons were a thing haha. I think he just didn't get the right care when he was younger, but I honestly have no idea!

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
I didn't either till my friend brought hers over,who knows,hers was a rescue it may be under fed and not taken care of! He will probably grow more now that you will take care of him,let him eat as much as he wants in 15mins,take out all live feeders that he doesn't eat,they will chew on him..the calcium and correct lights and heat will definitely help him grow,and having more room to roam..looks like he had to fight for his food:( breaks my heart,but at least you are willing to take him in and give him a better life,my guy is 1yr and 21 inches' long..his enclosure is made of wood,foam,grout to make it solid,and paint.i have some pics up under enclosure's,it was fun to make! And cheaper than buying big aquarium..

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
The guy who was selling him seemed to know what he was doing, I think he was just selling him for a friend or something. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I wasn't planning on getting one today but I saw the ad on craigslist and couldn't say no, I had a feeling no one else would take him because of his legs and I have a thing for disabled animals, so I couldn't just not bring him home! :) I haven't really touched him much, letting him adjust and whatnot but he seems really calm whenever I put my hand in the tank to do thingsmso I think we'll be friends. Thanks for all the advice, I'm hoping he'll start to look healthier in the next couple of days, who knows maybe he'll hit a growth spurt. I'll look at the pictures of your set up and keep it in mind for if he starts to get huge haha. Thanks again for all the help!

Just saw the pics of the enclosure after I posted this reply, it looks really cool, I'll look into building one. Your guy certainly looks happy in there!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The little one looks like a baby bearded dragon to me. 7 inches is a baby size. Myah is 8 1/2 inches now. He's nowhere near a juvenile or adult size. Adult sizes are 18-24 inches.

Babies require more care and more protein.

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
He is,and good luck! I would start handling him soon,little at a time so he gets used to you,they love to be held and love attention,he will let you know if he doesn't want messed with,he will puff his beard or hiss at you,if he doesn't,just gently pick him up and you will have a new buddy:)

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
I agree noella,I've never saw a 2yr old that small,that's why I wandered if it was a dwarf,if there is such a thing,my friend swears hers is,and hers looks like a baby but its a yr old..

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, he does look like a baby, I have no reason to not believe the guy I bought him from, wouldn't a baby bearded dragon be easier to sell than a stunted one? Plus it would take a while for his legs to heal completely after being injured, right? Also he was in a situation before where he lost a couple legs, who's not to say he wasn't getting proper care and his growth stunted, ya know? Then again, I am nowhere near an expert so please correct me if I'm wrong about any of what I'm saying. But until I can tell for sure I'll offer him as many crickets as he'll eat (I know babies can eat dozens a day). That's what I did today, he stopped eating at around a dozen, I took 2 he wasn't eating out of the tank. So until I know for sure if he's a baby or just stunted, I'll treat him as a baby. Would that be harmful?

I'll handle him little by little, thanks! :)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try some turnip greens and see if he'll touch those. If he is older, then he should take to them immediately, if not, then you know he's a baby. Babies don't always go after their greens until they're older.

Myah's eaten some of her greens, but not every day. She'll eat them every other day or two, but she's hitting growth spurts every single week or so, shedding skin and growing. Myah eats a lot of crickets, at least 20-30 in each feeding 3 times a day. I keep greens in her tank at all hours of the day so she can eat whenever she wants. Myah's about 4 months old.

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
I just googled ,there are dwarf and pigmy beardies, love Google:) and they stay very small,but your right,it won't hurt to feed him lots of greens and bugs,he may get bigger..Google dwarf beardie they are very small with small heads..either way he's a cutie:)

grumboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'll pick some up tomorrow and try that, thanks! I'll also keep a look out for frequent sheds and I'll try multiple cricket feedings a day. I'll keep trying until I figure this little guy out! If it is a baby, how old do you think it is based on size?

That's awesome, had no idea there were dwarf beardies! You learn something new every day, I guess. Thanks for the help to both of you! :)

Latest posts