• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the forum getting a dragon tomorrow

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
As the title says I am new to the forum just found it a few days ago and registered tonight,so wanted to come in and introduce myself. My name is Duane but most everyone calls me weewane. I am getting a 10 week old sunfire dragon tomorrow(fingers crossed that I get a male). I am getting it from a local breeded that has been doing it for some time. I have done some research and decided to build and set up my own habitate for it. Here is what I did picts to follow.
I built a 36x18x18 tank out of 3/4 in plywood. I sanded everything very well and then painted the outside white. I made 2 sliding doors out of plexiglass and used the table saw to make some rails for the plexi to slide in. I then installed a 10x6 vent on both sides near the top of the tank. I got some 18x18 in ceramic tiles from lowes and cut them to fit the inside of the cage with no space around them. I then installed a 24" reptisun 10.0 bulb in a hood, and a 75w halagen spot light attached to a porcelain fixture. I also installed a redlight to another porcelain fixture for heat at night. Now after doing some more research I am gonna take the redlight out and add a ceramic heat emmiter to help keep temps right if needed.

What do ya'll think so far and what changes would you make. The temps in my house stay about 70-72 degrees all year long. The tank temps are right at 81-84 on the cool side and about 100 around the beam and over 105 in the spot. I dont know how much above 105 it is cuz my therm only goes that high. I plan to get a better one tomorrow. I am not sure what the temps will get down to at night but would not imagine it get below 68 with all the lights off.

Here are some picts of my setup as of right now. Again all comments are welcome

pets179.jpg

the hot side
pets180.jpg

the cool side
pets181.jpg

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
awesome setup! quick question...can your dragon get 6 to 8 inches from the UVB? if not try raising the basking spot and also what kind of thermometer are you using to measure your basking temps?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi sweety... momma janie here.. you reallly don't need that red light.. dragons can see it.. and won't sleep so well.. but you can use that CHE ;).
Looks lovely.. when do i move in... *chuckles*
welcome to the best lil forum around... opinions not slammed, but welcome...

Janie

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you for the replys. As of right now the uv light is about 14inches from the ground. I am building a ledge for the beardie to get on that will get it closer to the light within 6 inchs. Right now the light is about 10 inches from the wood that is under it, but want to get it closer. Yes the red light is out of the tank and will be replaced with a CHE if I think it is needed. It was a light I had from when I had iguanas so I put it in before knowing that they were no good for dragons. As for a therm I have as of now a cheap stick on the wall kind but am gonna stop by the store and get a better one after work today. But based on the one I have the tank temps are good except on the spot of the light which I would guess is over 115 but not sure by how much. the spot is only about 3 inchs round. Should I change the light to a flood light instead of a spot light?

Ohh and I just picked the little dragon up about a hour ago, and within 5 mins of him going into the tank he gulped down 5 pinhead crickets lickity split. It is now basking on a piece of wood, but is very alert. I am deff happy with everything so far.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you won't know which bulb to use until you get the better thermometer (i prefer the infrared temp gun to the digi therm with the probe honestly) from then you can choose which bulb is better based on your temps

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Congrats on the baby and welcome to our forum!

Glad you took it upon yourself to get rid of the red light. Heat emitters work great for night temps or during cold months if needed.

Just a note of caution, the stick on thermometers can be 20 degrees off. So, make sure you recheck your temps when you get home with the new one.

Also, don't forget to offer salad daily. Here's a link to our caresheet:
Bearded Dragon Care

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey just wanted to comment on your bulb situation. I personally suggest against using spot lights because if a dragon feels comfy on 80% of its body and overheats on the other 20% they can end up with thermal burns which are bad news. So if you use a flood you end up with an even temp over the entire basking area that way the dragon can bask at the same temp from head to tail tip.

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks forthe info on the light that makes since and is what I was thinking after I got the light installed, I saw on another forum people kept saying a spot light so thats what I got. I will stop and grab a new bulb along with a better therm in a little bit. I do plan on getting a infrared temp gun when I get paid. I also have a list of veggies to get the little guy from the store on my way home.

here are a few picts I just took of him and will try to get some better ones when I get back home but gotta run to a job for a little bit.
pets182.jpg

pets185.jpg

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ohh I just thought about it what do ya'll think about the black log looking thing on the cool side of the tank? I made it out of a piece of scrap 2in round PVC pipe, well actually it was ABS but same defference. I also made a branch thingy as well but have not put it into the tank yet.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh my gosh.............he's wee widdle.
how sweet.

i sound like a girly girl.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This would probably be difficult at this point to do seeing as the little one is already in it's new house (congrats by the way ;D), but i personally would seal the inside of the tank with a water-based sealer to prevent the wood from swelling/staining due to moisture.

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I thought about that but wasnot sure as to what to use to seal it. Will any waterbased wood sealer work or paint?
Now onto my newest info. I replaced the 75w spot light with a 75w floodlight. I got a acu rite indoor/outdoor dig therm I am at 81.6 a the coldest point in the tank and 104.9 in most of the basking area, but right in the center of the light my temps are hitting 154 and that is dead center. if you move off a inch any way and it drops to 130 and by 3 inches away it is 118 and somewhere between 3 and 4 inches it drops to 104.9. These temps were all taken on the black slate stone I have in the tank in the basking area. It is about 10 inches from the light bulb itself. I am pretty sure I am gonna need to get a smaller bulb like a 50w. What do yall think

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok I took the piece of slate and flipped it over so that it just lays on the floor instead of elevated 4 inches. by doing that it dropped the temp down to 119 center of the light. Do you think that will be ok or should I try changing that pieces of slate out for a lighter colored piece of stone?

Latest posts