• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Bearded dragon

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
I have just placed my order for Arcadia T5 Pro 39 w 12% kit to be delivered with in 3 days. So very excited for this!
Will obviously post pics, once it’s installed.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
I have just placed my order for Arcadia T5 Pro 39 w 12% kit to be delivered with in 3 days. So very excited for this!
Will obviously post pics, once it’s installed.
Its an excellent lighting system. i use it in my Beardy setup. Very easy to install with a nice natural looking light.

Inserting and removing the tube is smooth too. A lot of ballasts can be very stiff when it comes to twisting the tube in and out but not these. They also have the ability to chain multiple ballasts together for bigger set ups meaning you only need one plug for multiple units

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
So I have few items to install in front of my tube for protection, which one would be best?

C51ABD77-33BE-4DB7-88A4-6494887F5991.jpeg

EF38A69B-ACE0-41C5-BC6B-360CA046D48C.jpeg

8B0F6194-EAE3-43AE-97EA-249616A2811F.jpeg

these are the 3 screen I have, which of the 3 would be best to allow maximum light penetration and maximum safety.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
the chicken wire -- its almost like having it unobstructed -- use the 12-15 inches for distance
Was thinking that one too, now you mention 12-15 inches between higher basking spot and tube… as Sadie mention to me before.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Was thinking that one too, now you mention 12-15 inches between higher basking spot and tube… as Sadie mention to me before.
You want the distance from the UVB to the basking decor 12-15 inches directly below the UVB

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
the chicken wire is going to let in the most light but let out the most insects :)
I am feeding him insects, I do not throw insects and let them be… when I am saying that I am feeding him insects is that I let him chase one insect till he catch it before throw him another one… and if he have enough and don’t finish, the remaining are getting back in their own enclosure for next time… so the chicken wire will be plenty good in order to prevent the boy to jump and hit the tube by any chances…

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
I am feeding him insects, I do not throw insects and let them be… when I am saying that I am feeding him insects is that I let him chase one insect till he catch it before throw him another one… and if he have enough and don’t finish, the remaining are getting back in their own enclosure for next time… so the chicken wire will be plenty good in order to prevent the boy to jump and hit the tube by any chances…
I'd go with the chicken wire then. Its the obvious choice for maximum light penetration. Make sure there aren't any areas in your viv where your dragon can reach thats puts him less than 12" from the bulb

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
I'd go with the chicken wire then. Its the obvious choice for maximum light penetration. Make sure there aren't any areas in your viv where your dragon can reach thats puts him less than 12" from the bulb
Noted and will do, yet you can see so many bearded dragon enclosure with the wrong set up, it’s amazing!
Can’t wait…

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
So basically I am feeding boy almost on a daily basis wether it’s veggies one day, the other day I give him, 5 mealworms, 2 locusts, 2 super worms (once in a while) 2-3 mealworm nymphs, and 2 Dubia roaches maybe a ringworm or two (again very seldom ou) by then I stop as I feel he is slowing down eating… I may throw in the mix a slice of carrot or two which is probably his favourite veggie (carrot)

I’ll make sure I do not over feed him, but taking in account he was pretty much neglected for his first 3 years of his life, he deserve treats at the moment for him to enhance his general mood, he did change so much since he is with me, I use to visit his previous owner and I never seen him so actif as he is today… he seem to be very happy… and my kit should arrive sometime today so that will be installed today or tomorrow, can’t wait!

I have embrace this hobby as much as I could so far, I have a locusts enclosure with around 39-49 specimens in it along with Dubia roaches 6 females, 1 male, I have collected from the little forest nearby some wood lice to clean up their enclosure, I also added regular sized worms like 4-5 pieces to keep the soil aerated… this is a test tank, but it is going well so far. And even if I have some cannibalism happening, it’s not a big deal as they will all end up in my boy’s belly…

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
I have no regrets whatsoever, costly (100€ At my door from France) but super easy to connect, plug and play, super nice bright… I had to try it

he is going to be sooo pleased, now I have to rethink the placement of my heat lamp as where I installed it, now it’s in the way of the new tube end.

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
Here is a side by side comparaison.

B1A8C16E-DA4F-45E0-BD98-CA0D78D00FFB.jpeg

1: original set up from previous owner for the first 3 years of his life ( no working heat bulbe at the time of rescue, no UVB lighting.

2: my original set up, which consist of a 60w heat lamp and a 18w UVB tube mounted on a regular fixture.

3: here is my final set up, same heat light and an Arcadia T5 Pro 39w 12%.

the lighting is just amazing… I am seeing new colors in my boy that pops out with the new tube and it should only get better from now on.

thanks guys for the advice: @Sadie & @Badwolfe