• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Owner! Please help!!

Jintyh

Bearded Dragon Egg
So yesterday I finally purchased my little guy, and brought him home. Right before his light turned off I was looking him over and noticed that his left nostril seemed to be covered :( I've also noticed him rub his face on his basking rock seemingly trying to clear it & it seems to bother him :( I've been researching all the different things it could be and started with shed , so I soaked him in a bath for about 5-10 min and attempted to clear it gently with a q-tip to no change. Any experienced owners know what it is? Just to be sure he's not stargazing as well I added a pic of him basking, sorry if its just paranoia I just wanna make sure my lil man is all good. Looking for a reptile vet in my area currently as well for a general checkup, wanna make sure he's all tip top! (First is right nostril second is abnormal one)View attachment 27554View attachment 27555
So yesterday I finally purchased my little guy, and brought him home. Right before his light turned off I was looking him over and noticed that his left nostril seemed to be covered :( I've also noticed him rub his face on his basking rock seemingly trying to clear it & it seems to bother him :( I've been researching all the different things it could be and started with shed , so I soaked him in a bath for about 5-10 min and attempted to clear it gently with a q-tip to no change. Any experienced owners know what it is? Just to be sure he's not stargazing as well I added a pic of him basking, sorry if its just paranoia I just wanna make sure my lil man is all good. Looking for a reptile vet in my area currently as well for a general checkup, wanna make sure he's all tip top! (First is right nostril second is abnormal one)View attachment 27554View attachment 27555View attachment 27557
My grandsons Oscar gets this when hes shedding. It annoys him too and he rubs it. He has never been able to clear his nostril without our help.

Whitrroze

Bearded Dragon Egg
The one nostril looks swollen --- this could be shed they do swell at times w/ shed coming on --- keep an eye on it and it gets worse w/ the swelling you might want a vet visit www.arav.org
Your basking light and the one next to it what are they? Is one a MVB? If it is what brand and wattage please - the basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please they are inaccurate -- you need a digital probe thermometer -- If your feeding crickets please dont leave them in the tank --- feed one at a time or two but they should not be left in the tank -- the UVB and basking lights are the TWO MOST important things in that tank -- they control the over all health and behavior of the dragon
1st thing, he is a cutie! If u just purchased him, I would go right back and exchange him. That does not look good at all. My bearded has MBD and the vet bills r very high. U want to get one who u don't have to take to the vet for any other reason but a well check.

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Unfortunate Update:
He really is adorable and I don't want to but its a thought ive had :( I would not be able to afford the medical bills it would take to support him if he has what the symptoms seem to point to. All vets around me are also booked 4-8 weeks out, which means i would have to take him to a emergency animal hospital that charges 150 to just get him in. Since i got him his appetite has not been what a healthy baby bearded dragons would be and he's had what seemed to me to be labored breathing and what i can only describe as a popping noise when breathing :(. He will eat maybe one or two nymph dubias, so I've tried pin head crickets and its been the same result. The only thing he will consistently eat are hornworms and even then only maybe 2 -4 before he loses interest. Since i got him I've been worried he had a URI or even worse the stargazing/wasting disease and possibly that the place i got him from was not a healthy breeder as they said most of their dragons do the stargazing pose (petstore i thought i could trust) :( I've got his tank temps perfect using an ir temp gun, and 2 brand new probe hygrometer/thermometers I recently bought (110 at his basking spot, 81 on his cool side, 80 in the hide - 25% humidity daytime hot side, 35% cool side daytime, both sides 35% at night) and lighting setup perfect per recommendation and talking with you wonderful people. Last night i checked on him while he was sleeping and he had his head almost to the 90 degree angle. What do you guys honestly recommend?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So yesterday I finally purchased my little guy, and brought him home. Right before his light turned off I was looking him over and noticed that his left nostril seemed to be covered :( I've also noticed him rub his face on his basking rock seemingly trying to clear it & it seems to bother him :( I've been researching all the different things it could be and started with shed , so I soaked him in a bath for about 5-10 min and attempted to clear it gently with a q-tip to no change. Any experienced owners know what it is? Just to be sure he's not stargazing as well I added a pic of him basking, sorry if its just paranoia I just wanna make sure my lil man is all good. Looking for a reptile vet in my area currently as well for a general checkup, wanna make sure he's all tip top! (First is right nostril second is abnormal one)View attachment 27554View attachment 27555View attachment 27557
Hi; Ok yes it’s probably she’s; take some water and Pat it onto the nostril and most him a few times a day u can try to gently help it come off. But patting it with water will help. This happens to my beardie a lot that’s why more baths while shedding or at the start is very Impt. Also, remove the Blue light; colored and coiled bulbs are horrible for Beardies eyes. Buy the zoomed CLEAR basking bulb for heat; clear like the sun. And I don’t see the long UVB tubular light. Please get the Reptisun 10.0 T5 ASAP or he will suffer with brittle bones, tremors, shakes, unable to walk or eat which is MBD. The uvb length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank Amd needs replacing every 6Mnths.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1st thing, he is a cutie! If u just purchased him, I would go right back and exchange him. That does not look good at all. My bearded has MBD and the vet bills r very high. U want to get one who u don't have to take to the vet for any other reason but a well check.
Get the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. Also it needs replacing every 6Mnths. Many people let their beardie get MBD because they either did not buy the Reptisun 10.0 T5 or did not replace this Reptisun every 6 mnths.

Earls MUM

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Unfortunately when i was doing testing the tank did drop to about 60, i stay in a downstairs apartment so it gets even colder down here at night
They need low temperatures at night as they sleep better and lights off at night. I switch everything off at night and have a timer plug so it can go off and on at the times you set it at. We all learn from our mistakes so dont overthink when you havnt getting it right 1st time. Yout baby looks a picture of health. He will rub his head whilst shedding and is all normal. In the meantime you might want to look at beardie ear shed. This will prepare you when he is shedding his ear holes as sometimes they may need help. Check you tube.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Get the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. Also it needs replacing every 6Mnths. Many people let their beardie get MBD because they either did not buy the Reptisun 10.0 T5 or did not replace this Reptisun every 6 mnths.
Get the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. Also it needs replacing every 6Mnths. This is wrong information if you read the box it says 1 year ----- you are thinking of the T8 which is only good for 6 months!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Update, I ordered the new fixture and attempted to get the shed out after another soak which i was not able to do (didn't seem like I could pull anything off forreal), he still rubs his face quite often so im wondering if there is anything else it could be? Im attempting to setup a vet appointment but the website that was linked does not show up with any vets anywhere 100 miles around me, are there any other good sites i can use?
Get a soft terry cloth towel or soft plush pillow from the pet store and gently rub his nostril back and forth with it to help it come off or lightly use your finger & Pat with water 3-4 times a day to help it come off. Also, the temp of 110 is a bit high but if he’s basking u can keep it at 110 for a few more months while he’s a baby, then lower it to 105, as he gets older it need to be less hot; it’s 95-100 more like 97 at about 9mnths plus. The UVB light needs to be along tubular bulb; u need the Reptisun 10.0 T5 that’s the best and most recommended one & replace it every “6” Mnths. Make sure he has a hide and get the woven hammock for him to place on the hot side behind his basking spot, they love it and serves as another cooler basking/resting at about 90 or so.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Get the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. Also it needs replacing every 6Mnths. This is wrong information if you read the box it says 1 year ----- you are thinking of the T8 which is only good for 6 months!
NO…..that’s incorrect!! The box says “1” year but it’s every “6” Mnths for all UVB lights. We rescue and rehome and have seen Beardies in horrific shape due to MBD form non replacement of the UVB bulbs. Ask Carolina custom cages; they are the biggest breeders and sellers Amd will tell u it’s every “6” Mnths same with the vets.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Unfortunate Update:
He really is adorable and I don't want to but its a thought ive had :( I would not be able to afford the medical bills it would take to support him if he has what the symptoms seem to point to. All vets around me are also booked 4-8 weeks out, which means i would have to take him to a emergency animal hospital that charges 150 to just get him in. Since i got him his appetite has not been what a healthy baby bearded dragons would be and he's had what seemed to me to be labored breathing and what i can only describe as a popping noise when breathing :(. He will eat maybe one or two nymph dubias, so I've tried pin head crickets and its been the same result. The only thing he will consistently eat are hornworms and even then only maybe 2 -4 before he loses interest. Since i got him I've been worried he had a URI or even worse the stargazing/wasting disease and possibly that the place i got him from was not a healthy breeder as they said most of their dragons do the stargazing pose (petstore i thought i could trust) :( I've got his tank temps perfect using an ir temp gun, and 2 brand new probe hygrometer/thermometers I recently bought (110 at his basking spot, 81 on his cool side, 80 in the hide - 25% humidity daytime hot side, 35% cool side daytime, both sides 35% at night) and lighting setup perfect per recommendation and talking with you wonderful people. Last night i checked on him while he was sleeping and he had his head almost to the 90 degree angle. What do you guys honestly recommend?
He needs a vet for the URI & 3doses of antibiotics/Shots. the poppimg noises are a big sign. The humidity needs to be 30-40 during the day dont worry about the himdity when sleeping 30-40 is good just not higher than 40. Don’t leave a water bowl in the tank overnight & no baths till he gets into a vet. Google or drive most office visits for vets are $50-$75. Sleeping at a 90 degree is common get home a small doggy bone pillow from the pet store or roll up soft terry cloth towels to prop on. Hornworms are high in fat so do it in moderation; is he over 1.5 yrs of age? Crickets/Dubias are everyday ones but at least he’s eating some they typically still do woth an URI. Please borrow money to take him in to the vet.

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all! I have been using treated water 1x a day and just dripping it right onto his nose but if its okay i will definitely do it a cpl times until he gets it out. As for the light i have the tube light setup and eveything but currently the 5.0 bulb is in it at the recommendation of sadie because he is only in a 20 gallon atm, should i swap it with my 10.0 bulb? Also his basking bulb is now a 75 watt exo terra basking bulb. His appetite has not improved with the new lights. The temps are also not to hot as he is barely 2 months old & im confident his setup is good now, and as for the vets there are no walk-ins in my area and all herp vets who charge that are booked a long time out (not even taking the emergency cases) except the actual emergency vets which as i said are 150 minimum to get him in.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey all! I have been using treated water 1x a day and just dripping it right onto his nose but if its okay i will definitely do it a cpl times until he gets it out. As for the light i have the tube light setup and eveything but currently the 5.0 bulb is in it at the recommendation of sadie because he is only in a 20 gallon atm, should i swap it with my 10.0 bulb? Also his basking bulb is now a 75 watt exo terra basking bulb. His appetite has not improved with the new lights. The temps are also not to hot as he is barely 2 months old & im confident his setup is good now, and as for the vets there are no walk-ins in my area and all herp vets who charge that are booked a long time out (not even taking the emergency cases) except the actual emergency vets which as i said are 150 minimum to get him in.
Return the EXxxoterra heat lamp & get him the zoomed clear basking bulb for heat; that’s the best one. The expo terra does bot heat up properly. He needs it hot if he’s a baby without optimal heat/UVB he won’t be a lot to eat, have energy or absorb/breakdown the calcium/vitamin D. U can get the 10.0 just make sure he’s at least 10-12 Inches away from the UVB and he has a hide typically a cave/basking platform to hide under or a hammock; which they love u can place it on the hot side behind the basking spot they love it Amd serves as another semi warm area. Also consider getting the 40gallon he will need it in a month or so. Petsmart has a 40 gallon for $169 with the petsplus card and the doors open in the front so it’s easy to feed and clean the enclosure. Borrow money tho and get him into a vet even if it’s in another city.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I believe u have everything right now, u will need a 10.0 down the road but since hes a baby the 5.0 will suffice for now, can we get some more pictures of him ? Possibly doing whatever is stressing you? Baby bearded dragons do alot of weird behaviors, i was very stressed raising my baby aswell, we all go through it, let us know if u need any other advice or just want to bounce some thoughts on us.

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
its not so much his behavior, its the lack of appetite and labored breathing/popping that's really stressing me :( If it wasn't for you guys my head would have exploded with all the misinformation out there so just wanted to say thank you! But i tried to get some picture of him mid breath but these are the best the would let me get( first two are the near straight up positions that have me worried) (rest i just took)
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...797491&th=179f6f7980d97433&view=att&disp=safe
IMG_0992.jpg
IMG_0993.jpg
IMG_0995.jpg
IMG_0996.jpg
IMG_0997.jpg
IMG_0998.jpg
IMG_0999.jpg
IMG_1001.jpg

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Unfortunately the Vet wont be an option until the 17th when i can take him for the appointment i set originally to get him a wellness check. No joke every herp vet that i can realistically get to around me is booked so much that they don't take the emergency visits & even if i were to borrow the money for the AEH their herp vet is quoted in the reviews to have almost killed several peoples beardies due to misdiagnosis

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What’s ur distance between ur heat and the skeleton, can u put the probe inside of it and take the temp, how long is he? i will say its a little weird his head is straight up, but he looks fine and alert in the other pictures you took.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He has shed on his head around his eyes -- please get rid of that sand --- if that is what it is --- unless he is real sick I would advise no vet visit yet ---- it will stress him out --- if hes eating basking pooping and active your good --- relocation stress will effect his eating but if hes eating something his appetite will pick up once he adapts to his surroundings etc ---- make sure basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer taken where he sits for basking 10 min -- 105-110-- good UVB NO coils ---

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
The head up is weird but if it is URI ive read it could be a symptom, any experience there? he is eating some dubias and pooping once a day around 11, the lamp is about 6 1/2 - 7 in away & the basking skeleton thing gets to 110 at the hottest tip (he basks there the most) and gives a pretty good gradient down to 106 on the spine of it

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
His spots on his stomach would be showing alot more if he was in distress…, I think hes just exhibiting the more stranger behaviors of baby dragons, and popping eyes , beard gaping are completely normal, he is awfully small, im surprised they sold u him at a young age, please keep us posted if/ when you go to the vet.

Latest posts