• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Owner! Please help!!

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
So yesterday I finally purchased my little guy, and brought him home. Right before his light turned off I was looking him over and noticed that his left nostril seemed to be covered :( I've also noticed him rub his face on his basking rock seemingly trying to clear it & it seems to bother him :( I've been researching all the different things it could be and started with shed , so I soaked him in a bath for about 5-10 min and attempted to clear it gently with a q-tip to no change. Any experienced owners know what it is? Just to be sure he's not stargazing as well I added a pic of him basking, sorry if its just paranoia I just wanna make sure my lil man is all good. Looking for a reptile vet in my area currently as well for a general checkup, wanna make sure he's all tip top! (First is right nostril second is abnormal one)
image0 (1).jpeg
image0.jpeg
image0 (2).jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So yesterday I finally purchased my little guy, and brought him home. Right before his light turned off I was looking him over and noticed that his left nostril seemed to be covered :( I've also noticed him rub his face on his basking rock seemingly trying to clear it & it seems to bother him :( I've been researching all the different things it could be and started with shed , so I soaked him in a bath for about 5-10 min and attempted to clear it gently with a q-tip to no change. Any experienced owners know what it is? Just to be sure he's not stargazing as well I added a pic of him basking, sorry if its just paranoia I just wanna make sure my lil man is all good. Looking for a reptile vet in my area currently as well for a general checkup, wanna make sure he's all tip top! (First is right nostril second is abnormal one)View attachment 27554View attachment 27555View attachment 27557
The one nostril looks swollen --- this could be shed they do swell at times w/ shed coming on --- keep an eye on it and it gets worse w/ the swelling you might want a vet visit www.arav.org
Your basking light and the one next to it what are they? Is one a MVB? If it is what brand and wattage please - the basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please they are inaccurate -- you need a digital probe thermometer -- If your feeding crickets please dont leave them in the tank --- feed one at a time or two but they should not be left in the tank -- the UVB and basking lights are the TWO MOST important things in that tank -- they control the over all health and behavior of the dragon

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
He looks pretty good for a baby, definitely get ur uvb and heat right with sadie, heres a YouTube video about removing “nose caps” aka “nose mushrooms” Removing nose cap from bearded dragon , although this dragon is an adult, the procedure is the same, if water doesn’t soften the shed to where it can be removed, try a dot of virgin olive oil on it, use a flat til tweezer and GENTLY pull, if it doesn’t budge its not ready to come out (you may want someone to hold his head while u do this, they do thrash their heads alot when removing shed)

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
i appreciate the response sm! I will definitely try the tweezers for his nose, I'm also getting him a checkup this monday. He currently has a 100w flukers basking bulb and a lucky herp 23w 10.0 UVB bulb on the hot side. I only use the stick ons to give a general number, before getting him i did use a temp and humidity probes to check all parts of the tank, and i am getting a temp gun to be able to read them anytime His basking spot got to 110 consistently while the cool side stays about 70-75 is this okay?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i appreciate the response sm! I will definitely try the tweezers for his nose, I'm also getting him a checkup this monday. He currently has a 100w flukers basking bulb and a lucky herp 23w 10.0 UVB bulb on the hot side. I only use the stick ons to give a general number, before getting him i did use a temp and humidity probes to check all parts of the tank. His basking spot got to 110 consistently while the cool side stays about 70-75 is this okay?
The lucky herp uvb is not a good uvb-- have had several use those UVB's and have had some bad health issues -- please replace w/ a zoo med 24 " fixture or a Arcadia or a sunblaster-- all are good fixture-- the Arcadia needs the 12% bulb and the other two you need the Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- I would do this ASAP--

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Id get a long tubular light like how sadie recommended, “compact” “coil” UVBs cause eye issues, either offer Way to much UVB in a concentrated stream or little to none at all, tubular uvbs put out a uv index at a more natural level and are recommended by mostly everyone.

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update, I ordered the new fixture and attempted to get the shed out after another soak which i was not able to do (didn't seem like I could pull anything off forreal), he still rubs his face quite often so im wondering if there is anything else it could be? Im attempting to setup a vet appointment but the website that was linked does not show up with any vets anywhere 100 miles around me, are there any other good sites i can use?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update, I ordered the new fixture and attempted to get the shed out after another soak which i was not able to do (didn't seem like I could pull anything off forreal), he still rubs his face quite often so im wondering if there is anything else it could be? Im attempting to setup a vet appointment but the website that was linked does not show up with any vets anywhere 100 miles around me, are there any other good sites i can use?
Not sure why the one I posted didnt work I clicked on it and it came right up ---- www.arav.org
I would leave the shed alone it will work itself out ---- let him rub on stuff it will eventually come out --- if you get it to bleed it can cause infection ---- please dont mess w/ it he will be fine ----- what fixture did you order? and the bulb?

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
im sorry, link does work but it comes back with no results no matter the distance. i will definitely leave it alone and just keep an eye on it, for the fixture i went with the 24in zoo-med reptisun T5HO(is this the one u were referring to?) and also bought the 10.0 tube, they wont be here until Tuesday though as i ordered them on amazon. Will it be okay until then or should I run to the nearest pet store?(only reason I didn't do this is the petstore has the same fixture for 2x the price) I removed the mesh screen to allow as much uvb through until the new light comes

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
im sorry, link does work but it comes back with no results no matter the distance. i will definitely leave it alone and just keep an eye on it, for the fixture i went with the 24in zoo-med reptisun T5HO(is this the one u were referring to?) and also bought the 10.0 tube, they wont be here until Tuesday though as i ordered them on amazon. Will it be okay until then or should I run to the nearest pet store?(only reason I didn't do this is the petstore has the same fixture for 2x the price) I removed the mesh screen to allow as much uvb through until the new light comes
He will be fine till Tuesday --- let me know when you get it in --- does the screen have a fine mesh or is it a more open hole type screen?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay good, I definitely will! Its a pretty fine mesh
Ok so that means its going to need to go inside the tank w/a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor ---- you can hang w/ these 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line or this stuff it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, do you know if the fixture will fit inside a 20 gall and still give him enough room? If not would it be bad for me to lose the screen altogether and have the fixture on top?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, do you know if the fixture will fit inside a 20 gall and still give him enough room? If not would it be bad for me to lose the screen altogether and have the fixture on top?
You cannot use the T 5 bulb you got on a 20 gallon tank ---- use the 5.0 bulb you have that comes in the fixture---- the fixture will need to sit on there WIDTH wise ---- place it directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches --- then when he out grows that tank which he will in the next few months you will need to change the bulb out to the 10.0 bulb --- I would start looking for a 75-120 gallon tank --- try FB Marketplace or Craigslist ---- if you find one w/ front doors your going to want one like that they are are hard to find make sure you disinfect it really good -- Zoo Meds Wipe Out or F 10 that can be bought on Walmart but the stuff is spendy its a concentrate and you mix in a bottle and it will last for quite a while --- the stuff will kill about anything -- its good to have on hand --- I am posting a pic of Blazes tank when he was about 2 months old or so --- I have the UVB placed in the center of the tank and the screen was butted up to it w/ the basking lamp clamped on the end --- the dome hanging over the tank is a CHE it was not used ---

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 34

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Appreciate the picture reference alot! Great freaking info too!! Butters lighting setup will be pretty much identical when the light comes other than the fact i have to use the che at night. Ill just save the 10.0 bulb then forsure. I have been looking into bigger tanks, but I'm also kind of a diyer so I've been looking into what it would take to build him a 120 or even 150 gall tank

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Appreciate the picture reference alot! Great freaking info too!! Butters lighting setup will be pretty much identical when the light comes other than the fact i have to use the che at night. Ill just save the 10.0 bulb then forsure. I have been looking into bigger tanks, but I'm also kind of a diyer so I've been looking into what it would take to build him a 120 or even 150 gall tank
You do not need the che unless your tank is dropping below 65 at nite--- you want temps 65-75 they sleep better w/ cooler temps and dark

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Unfortunately when i was doing testing the tank did drop to about 60, i stay in a downstairs apartment so it gets even colder down here at night

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Unfortunately when i was doing testing the tank did drop to about 60, i stay in a downstairs apartment so it gets even colder down here at night
Ok then run it but make sure your getting temp in the morning - you don't want it above 75-- place the che in the center of the tank it will heat the whole tank

Butterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Will definitely do that! I actually brought the probes back and put them in their just to double check all the temps with him in there, so ill be able to see tonight and make absolute sure its cool enough,

Latest posts